What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Tried to keep up with a 991 Turbo S down a bumpy twisty lane I've never seen before.....was great fun until Gary said he hadn't even put it in sport mode  :lol:

It's a seriously quick car and boy those brakes are good.  Also saw when you brake hard the brake lights flashed - great touch

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 11:24 AM, T24RES said:

Usually when the abs kicks in, even vauxhall have it 

Some modern cars flash their brake lights whenever they are under heavy braking - whether or not the ABS is having to work.

Rain once again kept me indoors, so much for having a week off work to get the garden in to shape! 

So I retired to the garage and plugged my new code reader in to the Boxster and ran the diagnostics, pleased to say there were no error codes thrown up.Inspired by this and '101 Projects for your Boxster', I decided to remove and clean the throttle body and plenum. 

Removal was a bit tight, but it went back in much easier. Used Wynne's carburettor cleaner which brought the throttle body up a treat. I would have given the MAF sensor a once over but I couldn't get hold of any cleaner locally so that will have to wait for another day.

Ran the diagnostics program again just to make sure I hadn't buggerd anything up, still no errors so either the reader doesn't work or I've put all the bits back in the right place!

How did you get on re connecting the air intake hose to the throttle body?

The last time I messed with it on my 986 it was a pig and took two of us to pop it back on! In fairness the pipe was very stiff so perhaps that didn't help ?

Ongoing fettling of the recent 986 purchase

Hate having bits not quite right so changed the front aero lips by the front wheels including the fixings - even though there's only minor damage to the existing ones :whistle1:

Existing

IMG_1302_zpshb3yrrjd.jpg

Replacement

IMG_1303_zpsfh6zlyan.jpg

13 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

How did you get on re connecting the air intake hose to the throttle body?

The last time I messed with it on my 986 it was a pig and took two of us to pop it back on! In fairness the pipe was very stiff so perhaps that didn't help ?

Was a bit of a struggle the pipe was stiff. In the end I connected that first and there was enough movement in the intake pipe to pull the throttle body up to the intake distributor. Did you notice any difference? I haven't been for a drive yet but I did feel the throttle seemed a little sharper when blipped but that might just be wishful thinking!

11 hours ago, RCS said:

Hate having bits not quite right so changed the front aero lips by the front wheels including the fixings - even though there's only minor damage to the existing ones :whistle1:

Existing

IMG_1302_zpshb3yrrjd.jpg

Replacement

IMG_1303_zpsfh6zlyan.jpg

I did this to, only a little thing but quite a satisfying improvement!

11 hours ago, RCS said:

Existing

IMG_1302_zpshb3yrrjd.jpg

Replacement

IMG_1303_zpsfh6zlyan.jpg

I also did this as one of the few things I can actually do :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RCS said:

Existing

IMG_1302_zpshb3yrrjd.jpg

Replacement

IMG_1303_zpsfh6zlyan.jpg

Have you got a link to where you purchased them? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Daffy said:

Have you got a link to where you purchased them? Thanks. 

@Daffy Local OPC - numbers are as follows:-

996.504.503.00 (Left)     996.504.504.00 (Right)                  They are £11.50 each +VAT    
Screws for above                                    999.073.061.03   6 of them     £0.30 each +VAT
Speed nuts for above                                999.591.699.02   6 of them  £0.30 each +VAT     

Wasn't sure what condition of fasteners would be so got replacements as at 30p each.........  Dosed the self tappers in WD40 and they did come out okay.  A couple needed a bit of persuasion, used the old 'tighten it' first to break the grip.

My prices are from September - just got around to fitting these as I'm working my way around the car slowly fettling bits!

I'm a PCGB member so asked for discount and got it.  Others will say you can just ask for a discount and often get it.  I used Nottingham, Parts Dept there is very very helpful in my experience, if you get stuck they would probably post to you.

FYI Design911 is asking £12.01 + VAT plus postage for the aero bit, and I think they were more expensive when I was looking back in September.  Just shows often the OPC can be as cheap or cheaper, and I think quite a few will post if you are not near one.

Hope this helps!
Edited by RCS
  • Like 2

Well I took my 986 along to an PCGB regional event at Denham airfield in Bucks. I am happy to report that among a gathering in excess of 40 examples of prime Porsche my most ubiquitous model was, on the day, a unique example. Also the least valuable I would guess. :rolleyes: Also the only car in the rare and beautiful Meridian Silver, although would members please note the the car illustrated below was the most Pink ;-) which for me, was the most memorable car of the day.

Nice owner too, whose father also owned a 964 (cab) in white, which was parked up along side. I am 4th car down in the row of some 30 plus cars.

denham-1_zpsf2di5wdc.jpg

We can have a little contest to see who is first to post the correct colour name, no prizes, just a small increase in Porsche geek status - its an official Porsche colour btw.

denham-2_zps1nh0fsnc.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Well I took my 986 along to an PCGB regional event at Denham airfield in Bucks. I am happy to report that among a gathering in excess of 40 examples of prime Porsche my most ubiquitous model was, on the day, a unique example. Also the least valuable I would guess. :rolleyes: Also the only car in the rare and beautiful Meridian Silver, although would members please note the the car illustrated below was the most Pink ;-) which for me, was the most memorable car of the day.

Nice owner too, whose father also owned a 964 (cab) in white, which was parked up along side. I am 4th car down in the row of some 30 plus cars.

denham-1_zpsf2di5wdc.jpg

We can have a little contest to see who is first to post the correct colour name, no prizes, just a small increase in Porsche geek status - its an official Porsche colour btw.

denham-2_zps1nh0fsnc.jpg

Rubystone?

Went to small classic event at Lakelands Classic Car Museum next to lake Windermere, saw another red Boxster and a stunning Ferrari. Listened to some tw*t going on and on about not buying one even if he could afford it, I doubt that it is a likely circumstance in any case. Enjoyed stunning but busy roads.

4 hours ago, Jason986S said:

That is almost perfection! 

Had a lot of nice little touches you cant see, a little centre trim on the steering wheel in body colour, seat backs in body colour some nice bits of carbon fibre, normally not my thing, but it was so well thought through it looked impressive to any eye. The guy had owned the car eight years and did the engine rebuild himself. He was about your age J. with a young family too.