What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

I have worked on many cars in the past but never a Porsche, mine is a 987.2. I am now coming up to age 67 and the Body does not like being on its knees. I use the mantra it’s only another car so not much phases me (except the knackered body). I Changed the poly belt last month and I had no problems, I also changed the rear disks, pads and sensors  (MOT advisory). I changed to Brembo equipment. A bit more expensive but worth it I think. I did an oil, filter and plug change at the weekend. Oil and filter change went as expected with no problems. Plug change was ok but getting one of the alloy cover plate bolts back in tested my patience beyond belief (passenger side). When it did decide to go back into its thread it was a breeze and took only 10 more minutes to be finished. Lost loads of skin and back and knees were sore. Waiting for air filter coming then will give that a go. Going to attempt the front bumper removal for radiator cleaning today and will have a go at installing some plastic mesh. I have also gathered everything I need to detail the paint, it’s Black and shows all the swirls. Just need a huge dollop of courage before I go near my Baby with a power tool. I also need to research cutting compound and polishes a bit more (all advice and recommendations welcome). It now looks like we are all going to have loads of time at home (Covid19) so have an excuse to work on the car.
The only advice I will give is, If your not sure about a procedure there are loads of videos and website’s so research and then research some more, also make sure you have all the correct tools for the job and a good impact gun is a godsend, Oh and if your old...some knee pads.
Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kenbo1000 said:

. Just need a huge dollop of courage before I go near my Baby with a power tool. I also need to research cutting compound and polishes a bit more (all advice and recommendations welcome

I was the same before i first used a DA on mine but it's actually very easy, especially if you are carwful. Loads of videos on Youtube as you have no doubt spotted - i like Ammo and i there are some good ones by one of the detailing product suppliers (Chemical Guys i think). As it happens i am a fan of Chemical Guys VSS (scratch and swirl remover). I did also try Meguiars Ultimate Compound on basis of recommendations here but wasn't impressed personally. You also need a couple of different pads for the DA from coarse/hard to softer ( and even softer if applying wax). Alot of it is trial and error and you'll get loads of other recommendations no doubt. Can alsonfecommend Poorboys Black Hole to finsh off with - i use it on my Atlas Grey and i know others who use it on Midnight Blue and of course Black. Have fun!

Thanks Rocket.

I have read load and watched loads but it all differs. I have heard of VSS and I was thinking of using that. I have a range of pads for the DA . I have a black, blue, yellow, red and white with a5” backing plate. I also have a bottle of poor boys black hole polish and various other polishes including Carranuba wax. All I really need is courage. I have decided to get a scrap bonnet to practice on if and when I can get out again.

again thanks

50 minutes ago, Kenbo1000 said:

Thanks Rocket.

I have read load and watched loads but it all differs. I have heard of VSS and I was thinking of using that. I have a range of pads for the DA . I have a black, blue, yellow, red and white with a5” backing plate. I also have a bottle of poor boys black hole polish and various other polishes including Carranuba wax. All I really need is courage. I have decided to get a scrap bonnet to practice on if and when I can get out again.

again thanks

I did the chemical guys training course in January and used a DA plus VSS for the first time. No previous experience whatsoever. 

It is actually pretty easy and your confidence soon grows. 

By the afternoon we were allowed to correct a customer Jaguar XFR 

Biggest tip is to watch the videos and get stuck in on an older car. 

I plan to use dad's 15 year Merc that has never been polished in his ownership. 

Let the weight of the machine do the work and keep it moving slowly. Feel the paintwork of sections you have completed. They will be warm, but Not hot to the touch. 

4 hours ago, Kenbo1000 said:

Seems like the VSS is the stuff to start with but will have to wait until I can get some. Looks like a visit to EBay.

Without going too in depth, it's difficult to do damage with a DA as it doesn't produce as much surface heat as a rotary.

Slow passes with little pressure on a manageable area, ie split the bonnet into 4 sections, doors into 3 sections etc..

Use masking tape for panel edges on adjacent panels (clearcoat is thinner on the edges) and to protect rubber/plastic trim.

Test with a low cut pad/polish and work up to find the best approach.

Most of all relax and have fun, being tense will make you put too much pressure on the machine and rush the process.

Edited by detail1
  • Like 1

i've been doing the same process with my rotary and seem to be getting half decent results. I did get some polish trails left, but have been told that a second pass with another polish will remove a lot of those.

I have poorboys blackhole on my Basalt Black paint and its brilliant, but does need a sealing wax to keep it looking good

I also have a tin of Poorboys natty paste polish that I got with the Blackhole so should be pretty much covered. I have ordered a 500mil bottle of VSS. I think I might wait until the weather warms a bit before starting. Still not cleared radiators or changed air filter yet so plenty to be getting on with. Also going to whip the wheels off for a good clean and polish.

Cleaned out the radiators today and discovered someone in the past has tried to remove the bumper and managed to break off the passenger side spring clip. The part that was broken was the piece you pull it out with, absolute pain in the butt to get out but got it after 45 minutes, now need a new one. Also decided to mesh up the grills while it was off haha, got it on the bench then realised I had used the mesh for another job p.i.t.a. Can’t even go out and get some. So bumper back on but with super clean rads.  At least I know how to take the bumper off now so will do it later. Still no sign of my air filter and now waiting for VSS as well. Good fun this being grounded, hope everyone else is having fun.

6 hours ago, philw696 said:

Nice one have you done it before ?

Be interested to see if you can post some tips and pictures as would like to do mine at some stage.

Straight forward just a bit labour intensive, getting the car up and level, gearbox under tray and out riggers.

No need to completely un bolt the out riggers leave front one in and it will allow you enough to lever down to pull the tray out.

Un bolt the ARB on the bushes, so you can pull the gearbox sump out.

The rest is just a case of getting up to temp 30-35c drop the oil, remove sump unbolting from the centre out, replace filter and gasket, clean sump and magnets

Fit sump in a tightening up sequence to 12nm

Fill with oil until it’s starts overflowing , start engine and get box back up to temp, at this point you made need to top up again until it overflows.

With engine running and foot on the brake cycle through the gears holding each position for 10 secs, top up gearbox until it dribbles out replace filler plug ( 17 mm hex make sure you can undo this first before draining)

Mine is now definitely much smoother for doing

22 hours ago, Kenbo1000 said:

Cleaned out the radiators today and discovered someone in the past has tried to remove the bumper and managed to break off the passenger side spring clip. The part that was broken was the piece you pull it out with, absolute pain in the butt to get out but got it after 45 minutes, now need a new one.

Those little spring clips are a pain; they had rusted almost to nothingness on my Cayman and I replaced them when I took the bumper off to clean the rads. They are more expensive than you'd expect from an OPC but I can't think of an alternative. 

On 3/31/2020 at 9:52 AM, Kenbo1000 said:

Nearly missed it.

Thanks to Detail 1 for his advice and tips. Never thought about taping the edges, presume I will need some low tack tape?

Generally the blue 3m tape is fine, most online detailing stores sell this or equivalent from other brands.

40 minutes ago, detail1 said:

Generally the blue 3m tape is fine, most online detailing stores sell this or equivalent from other brands.

To be honest any masking tape will be fine I know of a couple of top detailers that just use the cream coloured tape like the body shops use.

28 minutes ago, Nick_McUK said:

To be honest any masking tape will be fine I know of a couple of top detailers that just use the cream coloured tape like the body shops use.

Yeah most are fine, found some of the cheaper ones leave a residue behind if left for a bit longer, hence I suggested a better alternative.