What have you done to your 718 today?

Happy Days

46 minutes ago, Graham W said:

Hi Stark9

Been really lazy this year and booked a trip with Scenic Car Tours "Hidden Treasures of Italy".  Normally plan my routes and book hotels myself each year but somehow couldn't be bothered this year. Still seems like a good trip.  A couple of Boxsters also going as well as other makes, old and new.  I'll let you know when we get back.

Very jealous, we were lucky enough to live in northern Italy for 5 years and 2 Porsche ownerships, some amazing roads. One day soon I will take the 718 over there. Let us know the locations you are going to be visiting👍

4 hours ago, Graham W said:

Hi Stark9

Been really lazy this year and booked a trip with Scenic Car Tours "Hidden Treasures of Italy".  Normally plan my routes and book hotels myself each year but somehow couldn't be bothered this year. Still seems like a good trip.  A couple of Boxsters also going as well as other makes, old and new.  I'll let you know when we get back.

We used Scenic Car Tours for a trip down to the Italian lakes last year. It was so good we’ve booked it again for this September!

You will have a fantastic time - it’s one of the very best holidays we’ve ever had.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got back from a weekend in France with the wife

The GTS was flawless and seemed to meet many friendly Porsches owners whilst there. 

A few GTS Boxster's and 911's coming back on the tunnel the same day too :)

Only managed to get a few pictures 1000 miles in a few very warm days.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ibb.co/k4qzHGn__;!!NBDimZMw-Q!NvgjPQ9JMWggv87M8DSBysEjJw2o0-FCZ_IJfnSKSLuEoXg8koHXDwBxHRTYONkT5LIXKiF8oJA4BMyDWycwaQ$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ibb.co/7yMN4bh__;!!NBDimZMw-Q!NvgjPQ9JMWggv87M8DSBysEjJw2o0-FCZ_IJfnSKSLuEoXg8koHXDwBxHRTYONkT5LIXKiF8oJA4BMybUJX0qg$

On 6/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, JurassicBGTS said:

Just found the tour on their website, looks superb👍

Just back from the trip.  Superb roads for the most part but really spoilt by all the speed cameras around northern Europe!  Nearly every village had a 30kpm (19mph) limit on them with many hidden cameras. Then the confusing 50/70/80 and 90 kpm signs dotted seemingly randomly around the A & B roads didn't make for a relaxing drive.  On the up side the Alpine passes were great fun to drive on but sometimes spoilt by bikers taking more than their fair share of the roads on hairpin corners!  I think next year I'll return to Spain for the quieter roads and superb tarmac and less cameras. Stelvio picture attached.

6jGp4gU_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Edited by Graham W
  • Like 1

Quick exchange of pleasantries with a 986S owner as we were sat side by side at some traffic lights.

My roof was down, theirs not so much.

Also re-calibrated the passenger mirror re "dip on reverse gear" , which is an option with my 14-way memory seats. This has saved an alloy incident or two.

Process is as follows:

1. In the third binnacle, go to Settings, Lighting, the Reversing Option must be checked in order for the mirror dip to be enabled.

2. With the car in a gear other than reverse, set the "normal" driving position for the passenger mirror.

3. With the car in reverse gear, set your passenger mirror to the view angle you'd like when you're reversing.

4. Save your settings to a memory storage button on the driver's side door.

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took it for another track day! It's amazing how the car is comfortable and easy to drive in the city, fun in the backroads and then the same car is very fast and capable on the track. Had good day and improved from the last time on the same track. Once I went full throttle a bit early and lost the back, but the german engineer hiding somewhere inside the engine bay corrected it before I could do anything.

ot5cMve.jpg

• Like 5

Destroyed a pair of rear Michelins at the PEC today in one of their BGTS 4.0s. Went out with Olliie 30 minutes before the rest as I had done the briefing a couple of weeks ago on my first trip. Ollie is from a rallying family, his dad competed around the same time as I did in the Open Rally Championship. Ollie also has a serious rally and track pedigree and I also asked him to do a few laps. We both ended up almost drifting the Boxster just an incredible experience.

Also had the chance to go out in a couple of 911s 2 and 4 wheel drive. Whilst they were impressive for their size, getting back in the Boxster was just joyous and whilst the initial push from the 911 engine was obvious, the Boxster handling was supreme.

We were also the first car to have overtaken the Rothmans liveried 911 on the track😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2023 at 8:11 PM, JurassicBGTS said:

Destroyed a pair of rear Michelins at the PEC today in one of their BGTS 4.0s. Went out with Olliie 30 minutes before the rest as I had done the briefing a couple of weeks ago on my first …

Interesting experience, particularly your thoughts on the 911S as I have just come out of my 992S 2 and am still wondering how much I will miss it.

Learnt that 718 wheel bolts are only 17mm vs 981 bolts which are 19mm.

Went to order some wheel bolt caps, but thought I would see what my 2 spare platinum ones from my 981 looked like only to find they wouldn't fit my new car.

Good job I tried them otherwise it would have been a wasted purchase.

17mm now ordered.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, daviddurham said:

Interesting experience, particularly your thoughts on the 911S as I have just come out of my 992S 2 and am still wondering how much I will miss it.

Personally I don't think you will miss the 911 unless you want the rear seats👍

The 718 is just so much more nimble, under pressure I could really feel the electronics having to work hard on the 911, whereas the 718 just flowed on the steering and throttle, with far less electronic intervention.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Learnt that 718 wheel bolts are only 17mm vs 981 bolts which are 19mm.

Went to order some wheel bolt caps, but thought I would see what my 2 spare platinum ones from my 981 looked like only to find they wouldn't fit my new car.

Good job I tried them otherwise it would have been a wasted purchase.

17mm now ordered.

Interesting , I've defo got 19mm's on mine, 2017 base car.

Edited by iborguk