What have you done to your 718 today?

Happy Days

On 10/31/2023 at 1:00 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

The OPC told me the car doesn't actually overheat just the sensor goes in to one as the COV stops working correctly.

Hopefully yours is sorted soon. Mine is still at Porsche. Been a week now.

Once it cools down a little the COV will reset and you should be fine for the rest of the journey.

Thanks.

On mine, I sat for half an hour but as soon as I started it up the warning came on again very quickly. Waited for about an hour but same thing again, so I parked up and left it there. i don't want to cause any overheating issues with all the associated blowing of gaskets that that can cause.

Called back again later that night and drove it towards home, but the route is mostly along a dual carriageway with little parking opportunities so I stopped outside a friend's house about 3 miles into the journey. Temp was getting up to 80-85 at this point.

Next morning, collected it and stopped halfway down said dual carriageway. Being daytime, there are often cars parked at the entrance to a walking spot so it would be safe enough there. Temp had risen to 65 at that stage just short of 3 miles in. Later that afternoon, took it to my local indy for diagnosis. Again about 65 deg and 3 miles or so. Thankfully I don't need it and he can keep it for a while.

Research would indicate (although I have no proof) that it may be a faulty solenoid which is keeping the sleeve over the water pump impeller closed thereby restricting the circulation. Jeff Richardson did a comprehensive overview of the cooling system on 981s which I assume be pretty similar. His explanation was that the cross over valves are designed to fail-safe open, which is the opposite of what I was seeing with the temperature rising quite quickly in a short space of time.

Hoping it could be something simple but preparing for the worst.

I have just returned back form the OPC with mine. New Water Pump, COV and some other bits. I am now just under £2000 lighter.

The water pump is vacuum operated. The vacuum isolates the impellers of the pump so the water doesn't circulate and the engiine warms up quicker which helps lower emissions. The belt still drives the impeller but no water is getting to or from it until the engine temp is high enough for the barrier around the impeller to lower and the water circulates.

The seal on the vacuum from the water pump fails and coolant goes down the vacuum pipe to the COV causing the COV to fail and signals to the ECU that the engine is overheating.

From what the OPC said the water pump is not isolated when the COV fails but the ECU makes the car do this to show the driver there is a fault. Typical German efficiency. The water pump is operating but the car is saying it is not.

I am not brave enough to trial it and carry on driving when overheating warnings are flashing left, right and centre.

They also said that this failure has only been seen on the 2.5 S engine. Not on the 2.0 or the 2.5 GTS.

Update on mine. Indy had a look and saw no leak at the water pump. A slight bit of crystallising, but he thinks that could have been from any time. The expansion tank was a tiny bit low so that was topped up. I have had this car from new and am pretty much the only driver - it's my daily. About 6 months ago I got a warning of low coolant but it took a dribble to top it up at home. No low coolant level warning this time which is why I panicked at the time on Monday.

Indy has tested it over the past few days and temps staying solidly ay 90deg. I have it home now, no charge (so far) but I reckon in time, the water pump will have to be replaced. Huge job, apparently, exhausts dropped etc. 

Piggy bank is low as we have been on a fair few holidays this year and just topped up with a tank of oil which while not the same price as this time last year, isn't far off! Thankfully all my driving is local these days so I won't be stranded too far from home if it happens again.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:57 PM, iborguk said:

Drove it, in the wet (again)....will I never learn....

Noticed frunk unlock was a little weaker than usual, so lubed the latch mechanism and cleaned up the area, now back to being as it should.

Do you need to pull the trim panel/s to do this or do you just squirt lube in the hole?

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Do you need to pull the trim panel/s to do this or do you just squirt lube in the hole?

Just squirted a bit of dry ptfe in the hole onto the mechanism and also cleaned up the plastic area.

Edited by iborguk

I looked at mine in the garage where it will remain at minimum 4+ months more... ;) I've actually avoided these forums a bit so I don't get too frustrated.

It's -8c currently and roads are icy. The ramp leading to the garage is deadly. This is why I don't put winter tires on the car and try to drive it during winter, here far north the weather is just too extreme.

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Finbox, I love skiing but can only really afford to go for one week a year (with the occasional two-week luxury), we must have the same feeling when I read ski-related discussion forums!

Did someone say skiing...? Is this a good time to mention I'm off to Val Thorens in a couple of weeks time.....? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2023 at 8:59 AM, Davey P said:

Is this a good time to mention I'm off to Val Thorens in a couple of weeks time.....? 😁

NO it is not !

I've still not got a trip organised for this season..so unlike me.

p.s. avoid the bar Val T  side of the link with Meribel  - its F*ing expensive !

3 minutes ago, Patt said:

NO it is not !

I've still not got a trip organised for this season..so unlike me.

p.s. avoid the bar Val T  side of the link with Meribel  - its F*ing expensive !

In that case, I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to mention my 2nd ski trip in March then..........? 😁

• 1 month later...

Replaced the release button on an emergency key which had liberated itself.

Gently released the button with a plastic mobile phone spludger from the donor in the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134635479378

There also look to be a couple of UK suppliers of these on the Bay of E.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Joining in this chat, mine is on C-Tek awaiting nicer weather.

I need to do some preventative maintenance: check drains are clear, clean and ceramic coat the alloys and Fabsil the canvas. 

SmartSelect_20231125_213425_Gallery

• 4 weeks later...