What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes you remove it, two small plastic screws one at each end, just been out in mine and wondering how you had got on!

Ah I was looking drivers side and that one has obviously fallen out but found the N/S one and removed it but I still can’t slide it enough to the N/S to remove the existing small splitter. Think I’ll give up TBH. Probably better to get it up on a ramp other than just raising it on wedges gaining a couple of inches and struggling. Oh well beaten today 😂👍

25 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Ah I was looking drivers side and that one has obviously fallen out but found the N/S one and removed it but I still can’t slide it enough to the N/S to remove the existing small splitter. Think I’ll give up TBH. Probably better to get it up on a ramp other than just raising it on wedges gaining a couple of inches and struggling. Oh well beaten today 😂👍

To be honest I more or less ripped mine off it wasn’t sliding and came off fine with a more aggressive approach 😂

51962505719_9b420b0768_b.jpg

This was mine earlier today, still looking good 👍 

51962221081_15dc622664_b.jpg

Really pleased with the latest diffuser.

51962784395_54d9267bcf_b.jpg

I is quite a bit bigger than the GTS but matches well with the spoiler 😎

51962505574_7043f044d0_b.jpg

All tucked away until tomorrow, looks like my mom is in for a noisy Mother’s Day tomorrow with the roof down and the exhaust on😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Lonewolfgjp wow got there in the end. But I’d say it’s a little longer than a 15 min job 😂😂 To get the original small splitter off there’s a clip N/S I released with a small flat blade screwdriver then she slid off no problem. 
Putting the 991 splitter on is a Phaf on your own and with only raising the car on wedges gaining maybe 3inchs at most. It would be easy if car was on a ramp or raised must more. Anyway she’s on and I’m pleased with how it looks. Cheers for your help and inspiration 😂👍

79768-F3-C-1700-43-FF-8-D3-A-93-E4230-BE

690208-D5-6893-40-AC-82-F8-FA4-D78-BE987

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

@Lonewolfgjp wow got there in the end. But I’d say it’s a little longer than a 15 min job 😂😂 To get the original small splitter off there’s a clip N/S I released with a small flat blade screwdriver then she slid off no problem. 
Putting the 991 splitter on is a Phaf on your own and with only raising the car on wedges gaining maybe 3inchs at most. It would be easy if car was on a ramp or raised must more. Anyway she’s on and I’m pleased with how it looks. Cheers for your help and inspiration 😂👍

79768-F3-C-1700-43-FF-8-D3-A-93-E4230-BE

690208-D5-6893-40-AC-82-F8-FA4-D78-BE987

Looks great and glad you got there in the end 😎
It took me a lot longer than 15 minutes even with the car jacked up and the splitter already to fit 😂

• Haha 1

Is there any way you can trim the back so it sits in a little further, I like it in the centre but the edges aren't quite flush, you guys with white cars seem to get away with it but on other colours it's too obvious I didn't proceed with it for that reason 

5 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Is there any way you can trim the back so it sits in a little further, I like it in the centre but the edges aren't quite flush, you guys with white cars seem to get away with it but on other colours it's too obvious I didn't proceed with it for that reason 

You maybe able to play around with it but a lot of it is to do with how the underneath of the bumper isn’t flat. The actual splitter and custom end pieces fit perfectly but I wondered if you could alter the ends so it sat a bit different. They do some different end caps for the 718 but when I enquired he said they wouldn’t fit but I think they might as the is plenty of room under there.

4 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

You maybe able to play around with it but a lot of it is to do with how the underneath of the bumper isn’t flat. The actual splitter and custom end pieces fit perfectly but I wondered if you could alter the ends so it sat a bit different. They do some different end caps for the 718 but when I enquired he said they wouldn’t fit but I think they might as the is plenty of room under there.

51961561662_861f5f7216_b.jpg

👍

On 3/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, Withy said:

Cleaned the roof, applied Fabsil Gold.  used the trombone cleaner on as per some folks advice and did a test that roof drains are working as expected.  All looks OK to me

Can you give me the link to the trombone cleaner you bought and how to access the roof drains and how to clean.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Can you give me the link to the trombone cleaner you bought and how to access the roof drains and how to clean.

Thanks

If you watch my videos on the subject it should help you.

Drain 1 https://youtu.be/2jFXBv7CG98

Drain 2 https://youtu.be/khmCtOMVgIY

Google the cleaner and you'll get a link from Amazon.

Edited by daz05

On 3/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, andygo said:

Changed the spark plugs. Pretty straightforward, although interestingly the nearside three were trickier to access then the offside three.

The nearside front plug was a proper so and so, needed to bring all my gynaecologist skills into play as well as a varied selection of universal joint and wobbly extensions.

Anyway, all done now the car is at 50K miles. I have recently swapped front discs (Sebro) and pads (Texstar). I was slightly surprised that swapping the old discs and pads out seemed to cure a slight wheel wobble I had at an indicated 80mph on my obviously optimistic ( :) )speedo. Must have been the ridged discs having a say.

Next job is to change the PDK oils and fluids and exhaust manifold to cat gaskets and bolts.

I'm puling my OEM discs off soon and will see if I can get them on my lathe for a dressing & failing that I'll put some new Brembos on as mine are a bit grooved.

3 hours ago, T24RES said:

Tips are always useful, yes please

It's all quite simple. Draining is easy. No need to remove any covers. You can fill the clutch fluid from passenger side if you remove the rear wheel. You can squeeze it in using a simple 1 litre bottle a the long nipple. Or you can buy a little pump with a hand plunger. I can't remember the gear oil side but I presume it's on the other side so driver. Fill both till it starts to dribble out. That's it. I've used 3 different types of clutch fluid and car drives the same with all of them. If its a bit low it will jerk when cold doing its first change. If it's really low you'll get a yellow warning or really really low a red warning. Standard VW DSG fluid will work. Gear oil is just standard 75w90. I use Millers oils now.

Spent ages setting the time on my large collection of watches, then remembered the clock in the Cayman also needed putting forward an hour, so did that as well.  (I normally forget to do the car clock for at least a few days after BST :lol:)

On 3/24/2022 at 9:41 PM, CMA said:

I think they're the same wheels as mine, surprisingly they are painted silver edge, not polished. Much more durable

Could be painted yeah, I took a photo of those Cayman wheels as they had the black inner part rather than the silver on mine.  Wondered if that might be easier to keep clean (i.e. hides the dirt longer)

Black shows up just as much grot though.

60787-E4-C-AB61-415-B-8-DA1-1607-FBC4158

On 3/24/2022 at 9:41 PM, CMA said:

I think they're the same wheels as mine, surprisingly they are painted silver edge, not polished. Much more durable

Could be painted yeah, I took a photo of those Cayman wheels as they had the black inner part rather than the silver on mine.  Wondered if that might be easier to keep clean (i.e. hides the dirt longer)

Black shows up just as much grot though.

60787-E4-C-AB61-415-B-8-DA1-1607-FBC4158

• 2 weeks later...

Sticky plate (all within regs it seems).  Not perfect, ideally it would be less tall to stop tiny pockets of air, too late to trim it now, it'll do for the moment

Before

Sticky plate

After

Sticky plate

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Withy said:

Sticky plate (all within regs it seems).  Not perfect, ideally it would be less tall to stop tiny pockets of air, too late to trim it now, it'll do for the moment

Before

Sticky plate

After

Sticky plate

Umm, I think you maybe better with the smaller plinth and plate. Although I didn’t think it looked bad in the first place😎