3.4S the best option?

pezzzer1975

Hi chaps, I'm now on the market for a Boxter 987, I'm coming from a cherished 225 mk1 TT that I've had for 7 years. 

In your opinions what's the best option to go for, I was thinking the 3.4s as it's the quickest engine but I'm hearing there's issues with the bores? 

Is there a particular model/engine size that's arguably the best for reliability and performance ?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Both engines will feel quick compared to the TT imo. I had an 06 3.2 Quattro.

ive had 2.7 and 3.2S (made in 05 and maybe 06 before progression into 3.4)

Both great engines for different reasons. Often find myself doing illegal speeds too often in the 3.2S whereas the 2.7 you can really rev the nuts off it before you’re doing 120

I had a 2.9 PDK. recently swapped to a 3.4S PDK

Both good.  Both plenty fast enough.  

big difference for me is the 2.9 was Either “going down the shops” or “going mental” in between I found it a lazy.  Coming off of roundabouts you had to light it up to get it where you wanted it or drive it manual (fun in its self for sure just more work than I wanted some of the time )

wife summed it up when I got the 3.4. She said. It’s much less frantic than the 2.9. 

there’s no wrong answer, but for me the 3.4 with the extra torque is a nicer drive. 

but that’s me 

maybe the 2.9 with the sports modes would have filled the gap a little better   I never got the chance to try one to know. 

drive a few of all the variants you are considering.  You will get a feel for it  

To be clear, the 987.2 3.4 S DFi engine is the best and quickest available in the 987 - only available from 2009.

no worries about bore score or IMS, over 300bhp and when linked to the PDK box with sport chrono it’s the best of all option, cruise to the shops or blat out in an A-road

I’ve had 3.2 and 3.4,(RS60)the only difference was just that bit more torque.

For example on the Strines run in the Peak District some of the hairpins I would be in a gear  higher and still accelerating out the same

Thanks so much for all the replies fellas! I've learnt more on here asking you than I have trawling the internet for the last 3 month's!

When I bought the TT I did the same due-diligence and joined an owners forum as there a wealth of useful info with friendly like minded souls happy to chat so thanks again for all the help.

I've got around 15-18K budgeted for the Boxer so I guess by what your saying that will put me in a Gen2 non IMS/Bore score potential issue car?  Although I know those issues were wildly over stated and aren't any where near as common as the media or scare mongers would have us believe.

Any particular factory upgrades that should be on the checklist? Thanks again guys.

Gen2 definitely worth it. 

Next question, PDK or manual?  PDK ideally with paddle shifters. 

PDLS lights if a daily driver. 

I don’t know much about .2 options otherwise. 

22 minutes ago, pezzzer1975 said:

Thanks so much for all the replies fellas! I've learnt more on here asking you than I have trawling the internet for the last 3 month's!

When I bought the TT I did the same due-diligence and joined an owners forum as there a wealth of useful info with friendly like minded souls happy to chat so thanks again for all the help.

I've got around 15-18K budgeted for the Boxer so I guess by what your saying that will put me in a Gen2 non IMS/Bore score potential issue car?  Although I know those issues were wildly over stated and aren't any where near as common as the media or scare mongers would have us believe.

Any particular factory upgrades that should be on the checklist? Thanks again guys.

Your budget should see you safely into a Gen 2 S - check out the dealers such as Ashgoods, Maundrells, 911virgin etc - now is a good time to buy

Heated seats are a must

Sports Chrono is also a must, especially if its a PDK, as it gives you Sport and Sport+ mode

PSE would be a nice edition - or a retro fitted sports exhaust to give it a little more volume

18 inch wheels are considered the best all rounder for comfort and agility, the 19's look better though! :)

Extended leather gives the interior a nicer ambiance, but not a deal breaker if it has lots of other toys

PCM Sat Nav is OK - probably not the most up to date, but will get you there. Look for one with AUX input if you can, but at worst its a £300 retrofit option

On 1/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, Paul P said:

I had a 2.9 PDK. recently swapped to a 3.4S PDK

Both good.  Both plenty fast enough.  

big difference for me is the 2.9 was Either “going down the shops” or “going mental” in between I found it a lazy.  Coming off of roundabouts you had to light it up to get it where you wanted it or drive it manual (fun in its self for sure just more work than I wanted some of the time )

wife summed it up when I got the 3.4. She said. It’s much less frantic than the 2.9. 

there’s no wrong answer, but for me the 3.4 with the extra torque is a nicer drive. 

but that’s me 

maybe the 2.9 with the sports modes would have filled the gap a little better   I never got the chance to try one to know. 

drive a few of all the variants you are considering.  You will get a feel for it  

I'd agree with that - although my last one was a 2.7. I do love the way my current 987.2 PDK S pulls hard from low revs - and just keeps on pulling. And also love the very tall 7th gear for cruising.

What type of driving do you/will you be doing?   

I agree with Paul above. Strange though it may seem I think the 2.7/9 engine is more than adequate if you are driving mostly in a spirited manner (I.e you are regularly above 4K revs where it really wakes up).  Where the 2.7 lacks (and hence the 3.4 is preferable) is when driving lazily/daily driving where the relative lack of mid range torque shows.

For your budget you should be able to get into the gen2  3.4 so bore score is not really a concern.

4 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Your budget should see you safely into a Gen 2 S - check out the dealers such as Ashgoods, Maundrells, 911virgin etc - now is a good time to buy

Heated seats are a must

Sports Chrono is also a must, especially if its a PDK, as it gives you Sport and Sport+ mode

PSE would be a nice edition - or a retro fitted sports exhaust to give it a little more volume

18 inch wheels are considered the best all rounder for comfort and agility, the 19's look better though! :)

Extended leather gives the interior a nicer ambiance, but not a deal breaker if it has lots of other toys

PCM Sat Nav is OK - probably not the most up to date, but will get you there. Look for one with AUX input if you can, but at worst its a £300 retrofit option

I played a Jedi mind trick on @Mattman42and saved myself lots of typing 😂

Speak the truth does he 👍🏽

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Gen2 definitely worth it. 

Next question, PDK or manual?  PDK ideally with paddle shifters. 

PDLS lights if a daily driver. 

I don’t know much about .2 options otherwise. 

If you go for PDK then you must have Sport and Sport+

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Yes generally figure out what options you'd really like, what would be nice, what you don't care about.  Post them up here and see when we violently disagree.

CFA.😉

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Some of the best "roof down" drives I've had are on quiet winter roads first thing in the morning. Heated Seats are a must in my opinion.

This is the first car I've had with them. And do like them - especially as the heater takes longer to get going than on some other cars. And I use mine every day of the year.

When I told Lynn I was buying a Porsche, her reply was "Make sure it has heated seats." Of course I then made the rookie mistake of taking her with me when I went to buy my Cayman, she saw the Boxster and promptly told me we were buying that.

The heated seats in my DD Corsa are even better than the 718, I can only have them on a minute or so (No different levels alas) but Lymm will have them on all the time. 

Sam's wife even gave Lynn a blanket first time we we went for a spin with them, which now permanently resides in the 718s boot.

I think she has liquid nitrogen for blood.

9 minutes ago, sa utah said:

Heated seats are a must for me too.   Our 987 heated seats though are nowhere near as good as the two other cars we have with them which is a shame.  

Mine (now they are working) seem reasonably potent although I don't think they can keep a takeaway warm.....I might have tried....

Just now, iborguk said:

Mine (now they are working) seem reasonably potent although I don't think they can keep a takeaway warm.....I might have tried....

my 986 seats definitely get hotter if I have turned them on....warmed up, turned them off and on again.....then they get hotter weirdly!

Archived