The name of the tool

McDonald

It’s not a suction tool.  The oem caps have two small holes in them (in the black bits) some 3rd party ones have two others have one.  

Porsche do a tool for centre cap removal. Basically a bent bit of wire with a plastic grip but most people just use a small Allan key in one of the holes.  

others have used ones from Audis which use a similar “hook” design. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Now, anyone selling selling 3rd party centre caps at the moment? Mine are looking decidedly shabby & one crest has fallen off.

@marts500 is your man for aftermarket wheel centres, send him a PM.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I'd like to replace the centre caps on my car. I'll need a suction tool too remove the old ones - can anyone tell me what it's called? Thanks

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

You don't need a suction tool to get the centre caps off.  There are 2 holes in them, so you just need to hook a small Allen key into one or both, then simply pull 'em out :thumbsup_still:

When you need Davey P to give advice on car mechanics, the name of the tool is…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Porsche Center Cap Removal Tool, part number 00072192291 (and about £30!) but wanted one , as I collect tools...a couple of £1 Allen keys would do the same job as said earlier in the thread...

Not only do you collect tools but you have been known to gift them as birthday presents.  gift wrapped by local opc

On 12/31/2022 at 6:31 PM, Menoporsche said:

When you need Davey P to give advice on car mechanics, the name of the tool is…

If anyone needs me to give advice on car mechanics, you are in deep trouble... But in this case, I actually knew the solution to a problem, so I'm chuffed to bits with that :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ‘tool’ that you’re referring to is a bulb removal tool, for spotlights, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/wolfcraft-5499000-Suction-Halogen-Speedy/dp/B0027J282A/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3O702KNHXOVZI&keywords=bulb+removal+tool&qid=1673726401&sprefix=Bulb+remov%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-17

They work a treat & don’t end up damaging the centre caps by using Allen keys / wire / etc. Using anything like this results in damage to the centre cap holes, which lets in water & eventually results in ‘white worm’ on the Porsche crest on the centre cap.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 5:22 PM, Davey P said:

You don't need a suction tool to get the centre caps off.  There are 2 holes in them, so you just need to hook a small Allen key into one or both, then simply pull 'em out :thumbsup_still:

Davey nailed this. Simple enough with one Allen key. Some clowns have even produced YouTube videos about this. I'm quite surprised really that Davey has been so helpful. His posts are usually useless. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

I think the ‘tool’ that you’re referring to is a bulb removal tool, for spotlights, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/wolfcraft-5499000-Suction-Halogen-Speedy/dp/B0027J282A/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3O702KNHXOVZI&keywords=bulb+removal+tool&qid=1673726401&sprefix=Bulb+remov%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-17

They work a treat & don’t end up damaging the centre caps by using Allen keys / wire / etc. Using anything like this results in damage to the centre cap holes, which lets in water & eventually results in ‘white worm’ on the Porsche crest on the centre cap.

Good luck in getting enough suction with those to pull out a centre cap.  TBH if I want to remove a centre cap it is usually only after I've removed the wheel and then do it from inside the cap by tapping it out with the handle end of a screwdriver, or if stiff you can gently move the legs of the cap in to ease it out.  If you want to straighten it to align with the valve, a pair of Allen leys is better as you then apply less turning force to each hole.

• Like 1