My 2011 987 Black Edition

Jonttt

I m trying to keep an open mind about the 718 and I like the styling. But the engine noise is awful, I’ve heard various ones driving around at different speeds and I just think it sounds wrong. I have a feeling the 4 pot turbo will be short lived now they have that new particulate filter for the petrol engines. I think you will find detuned  na 6 pots out of the GT4 and the Spyder in the 718.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, MIkeyv60 said:

Not that rare then :D

On 8/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, Mattman42 said:

There are 2 on eBay at the moment for £600 or best offer

hope you are keeping all the original stuff you remove to put back when you sell, being a limited edition, modifications will de value it for people who know what they are looking at

On 8/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, MIkeyv60 said:

Not that rare then :D

On 8/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, Mattman42 said:

Edit - make that 3.... 😂😂

On 8/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, MIkeyv60 said:

1 sold last week as well 🤣🤣

On 8/11/2019 at 6:47 PM, Jonttt said:

The ones on Ebay are all damaged, pretty badly in some cases and/or not off a 987 (so have the airbag warning light) and been for sale for ages on and off. They are offered for sale around Europe (same ones on Italian, German, etc ebay) as they are rare and people even try to sell them damaged....

As I said in my post, find me a mint one ......

I always retain original parts which are sold with the car.

I'm impressed you guys took the trouble to look though lol

I thought I would update on the above comments re the OEM 987 Carbon Centre console I sourced / fitted a couple of months ago......mainly as I thought the comments quoted where misleading to others who are potentially looking to purchase one of these in the future........

I have continued reviewing various ebays sites every day over the past 2 months for carbon parts (UK, Germany, Italy, Holland, etc.........) and there has been zero equivalent items for sale. There has been one for sale for a 997 in Germany which would fit however it would require the carbon to be cutout to make a hole for the converatble roof switch which would be a risk. The item was also damaged / cracked on the top. It sold for more than I paid for the mint original 987 item I bought.

The only items which I have seen for sale in the past 3 months of daily searches have all been 997 fitment, cracked / damaged and significantly more expensive than I paid. That was for 3 items, 2 in the UK (referred to in the comments above, nb one was advertised twice at the same time as the cracks where identical) and one in Germany. The 4th item which was advertised is the one I purchased ..... ironically referred to above as "1 sold last week as well" ie it was not "as well" as it was the same item. For the avoidance of any further doubt I paid £450 for a mint OEM 987 specific Carbon Fibre Centre console. The cost from Porsche was/is >£2000 for that part. The 3 damaged ones advertised over the past 3 months have all been considerably more.

So evidence, rather than ill informed comments, continue to show that this part is rare even if you accept items which are clearly damaged / cracked as being suitable (which I don't given how hard carbon fibre is to repair). If your in the market for one of these (which I accept is a limited market given the market value of the cars and relative costs) and you see one for a reasonable price then snap it up. They are not "common", far from it, they are like hens teeth 😉

On 10/5/2019 at 10:59 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

I m trying to keep an open mind about the 718 and I like the styling. But the engine noise is awful, I’ve heard various ones driving around at different speeds and I just think it sounds wrong. I have a feeling the 4 pot turbo will be short lived now they have that new particulate filter for the petrol engines. I think you will find detuned  na 6 pots out of the GT4 and the Spyder in the 718.

lol I had a closed mind about them after having one for 3 days, simply aweful engine for a Porsche. I think your comments about the 4 pot being short lived are spot on now that it has been established that the 6 cylinder will actually fit. The problem with those currently is that the DPF filter seems to significantly muted the noise they make which is such a large part of the experience of driving a true sports car to me but at least they address the shortcoming of the power delivery and noise of the small capacity FI engine in a porsche. The full effects of the DPF technology which has been forced onto manufacturers following the emissions scandal is yet to be fully understood, after all other manufacturers are now having their own problems with oil dilution etc.... but thats a whole new subject (ie the very reason behind the emissions scandal may well come home to roost ie the cost of being compliant and yet retain reliability and performance etc... is very high with its own technological problems which have not been fully resolved yet). Ultimately it will be a combination of market forces (especially the chinese market which the 2 litre turbo engine was undoubtedly aimed at) and emmissions legislation which drive future product configurations. I remain convinced that small engine hybrid petrol engines will be the default solution for most manufacturers in the near future and it will be interesting to see how Porsche will fit into that solution, a 2 litre hybrid cayster I can see in the next generation. Either way that will make the current 4 pot FI engines an enigma.

Your missing out big style but I’ll give you a clue..........I like carbon, always have..........I like making hobby cars my own, a little different but I like using OEM or at least OEM quality and always make sure that whatever I do can easily be retrofitted back to stock............if you prefer the plastic bits in the standard car then that’s fine, its how Porsche made it but .......they also offered some unique exclusive parts for those who like to be a little bit more different, who really don;t like plastic and who want to just go that little bit further, to add just that little bit extra to what is already a very nice place to be..........I guess its no coincidence that you don’t like the carbon in my 993, that you did not like the carbon pack in the 981 ie as you have said many times but at least you are consistent lol

Wow - that’s an aggressive response. My car has extended leather and doesn’t feel cheap plastic as you describe. I’m quite happy with my ‘inferior’ standard car and it’s interior. Yes you like carbon and each to their own, but having a carbon centre console is not going to make any significant difference to the performance of the car and you can easily go over the top and make it look a bit Halfords boy racer.

i prefer the standard OEM you prefer carbon - I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have carbon is ‘missing out big style’ 🙄

• Thanks 1

There is no carbon on my car and never will be any (visible) carbon. I do not feel like I am missing out at all but I am happy that you are enjoying your carbon fest and will continue to read with interest the mods you are making as most of them are more to my visual and technical taste. Each to their own.

To clarify the words “your missing out big style” where said with irony ie you are obvious not 😉

ps at no point did I say or imply the plastic was cheap just that I don’t like it, two different things

So for no good reason other than a bargain to be had......

Some of the well known online car part suppliers had attractive sales on brakes recently (I'm convinced they are all the same company) .....combined with the fact that the none OEM rusty hats fitted to the car do my head in (yes I know I could paint them) .....I splurged out on some totally unneeded replacements ........lurvely Brembo discs to be fitted .....sometime in the future 

LyCr4dP.jpg

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

this one is better suited :P

bAgCmqV.jpg

Now that’s........predictable sigh 

you want to troll, go for it !

Edited by Jonttt

11 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Ah that’s right, you can have a dig at others but god forbid someone has a joke back to you 🙄🙄🙄

hardly trolling

And a classic troll response “it wasn’t me, they started it” are you really that immature ?

anyway I asked my mum and she said ignore you 

So you have a choice, I’ll play nice if you do

18 hours ago, Jonttt said:

So for no good reason other than a bargain to be had......

Some of the well known online car part suppliers had attractive sales on brakes recently (I'm convinced they are all the same company) .....combined with the fact that the none OEM rusty hats fitted to the car do my head in (yes I know I could paint them) .....I splurged out on some totally unneeded replacements ........lurvely Brembo discs to be fitted .....sometime in the future 

LyCr4dP.jpg

Must be either carpartsfor less or eurocarparts?  I dont believe their discounts actually mean anything. I wanted a new battery from Eurocarparts and used the latest MID60 code , but the same battery was £21 cheaper ( after mid60 applied) on their Ebay shop with no discount code!!

Edited by MIkeyv60

20 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Must be either carpartsfor less or eurocarparts?  I dont believe their discounts actually mean anything. I wanted a new battery from Eurocarparts and used the latest MID60 code , but the same battery was £21 cheaper ( after mid60 applied) on their Ebay shop with no discount code!!

Yes generally I think you are right but on this occasion they where actually cheaper than anywhere else I could find. I had to mix and match from various websites to get the best overall price. Agree it's all about shopping around and take discount codes with a pinch of salt.