What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Did mine about 3 years ago - still looks great. From memory I think the trick is don't apply too much and then polish it in afterwards with a lint free cloth to spread it evenly...

I used a paint brush to apply, then a lint-free cloth to remove surplus. I'm very happy with the result.

43 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I used a paint brush to apply, then a lint-free cloth to remove surplus. I'm very happy with the result.

first time i used it - i forgot about removing the surplus - went around the car, merrily applying and by the time i got back around, it had gone very sticky and horrible - lesson learnt!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

How do you guys apply Polytol to your scuttle? Tried it this morning for the first time using a cloth dabbed in Polytol but it looks a bit patchy.

I have some fabric topped sticks like one sized cotton buds, apply a little and work it over the surface, take a bit of time and it come out well, otherwise go for 2 applications. From memory it looks patchy as it dries but then better afterwards.

• Like 1

Took the scuttle off completely to fit a front strut brace and put polytrol on it (small brush on, cloth to even the covering and get the excess off).

Fitted front strut brace, nice and straight forward. Then fitted new rear ARB bushes. A nice productive afternoon. 

Edited by BBB
spelling
  • Like 1

Picked up the new engine mount and stops from OPC.  When get round to fitting after Easter, hope to see some play in the old one as going in blind (blind faith having believed all the hype....).  Looks like going to have to remove front engine cover to get to the upper bolt - which will be a new experience too.

IpyUE65.jpg

0rQO0Dl.jpg

Local paint-less dent guy removed a couple of small dink's on the nearside front wing and rear quarter-panel. 

No photos worth showing as he did a great job and I can't see where's he's worked.

Edited by iborguk

29 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Local paint-less dent guy removed a couple of small dink's on the nearside front wing and rear quarter-panel. 

No photos worth showing as he did a great job and I can't see where's he's worked.

Who did you use if you don't mind me asking as im in herts as well and always good to know a recommendation.

Took off the door card to check the inner seal as the door carpets have been getting wet in heavy rain. 

Turns out the previous owner had used what looks like white tack or putty to make a seal, it was lumpy and bumpy. Scraped it all back and applied a bead of silicone, hopefully that will do the job for now. 

• Like 1

After my “mini drama” of a blow out and subsequent new fronts tyres though I would take the opportunity to have a proper clean and poke around the front end.  

pulled the wheels.  Got the old weight glue off.  Cleaned off some tar spots.  Washed the up under the wheel arches and had a polish of the calipers.   Also sprayed some release oil around the blokes nipples and the various bolts and fittings as a bit of preventative maintenance. 

Back on and torqued up (i like to be the one that bolts my wheels on)

then a little test drive to see how the new rubber felt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BBB said:

What part do you have the jack stand under @Paul P

Under side of the ball joint on the coffin arm by the look of that. Not where I'd put one. Only time I'd lift there is to just take the weight when torquing the suspension even the with the jack on the jacking point.

On the 986 if you jack on the rear point you get enough lift to put the stand under the front jacking point. Is the 987 the same?

Was under the lowest part of the hub assembly.  

But no weight on it. Was only there as a backup to the Jack.

I wasn’t working under the car so that was maybe 5mm clear of taking any weight just in case the Jack had an issue. 

the 987 is the same re jacking back and putting the stand on the front.  And usually I sit a big lump of railway sleeper underneath.  But had the stand to hand.  

• Thanks 1

Attempted to re gas the AC .It’s wasn’t working very well .I’ve done this with loadsa cars to great effect .However noticed the gas escaping driver side front wheel arch very close to the Jack point .

Further investigation by removing the wheel , wheel arch liner and partially loosening the central underbody cover reviled .= Some previous clown ( SH suggest new brakes  at the front last Autumn) had damaged the larger AC low pressure rtn pipe .

There are two AC pipes that run inside the liner and bend very close ie within a cm of the Jack point .Theses are concealed under the central tray ,It appears no top hat was used on the lift / Jack and the pipe was crushed = small hole .

I rubbed it down .It’s alloy with plastic coat .Then used Alardite thick stuff to paste in the hole .Some self sealing amalgamating tape  ( can cope up to 600 Psi ) wrapped round .Then a thick goo of more Alardite paste this time use cotton cloth to prevent sag wrapped around the lot and left to set .While the arch was all open wire brushed up the suspension, etc and waxoiled it all inc the coolant pipe connects FWIW .They seemed dry and un corroded .

As a temporary hockey puck / top hat i used a large 40 mm socket twixt Jack and car Jack point .Also scrapped out the muck from the Jack point and waxed that up .

Warning .The AC pipes come very close , too close to the 987.2 front off side Jack point .

I will re gas’s it all tomorrow.Even thought the stuff reckons to set in 2 hrs and it did , I ll wait longer .

Removed the nearside wheel and cleaned up and waxed up everything.

They are very simple cars to work on .

Fingers crossed for tomorrow 👍

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 1

Attempted to replace the IMS flange seal.

Locked at TDC and locked the cams, removed the tensioners but couldn't undue the nut on the IMS shaft.

The slot to hold the shaft with a flat blade screw driver is not deep enough to get a good purchase on it, so trying to undue the nut just causes the shaft to turn as well.

Will have another try tomorrow and hope i have more luck. :( 

3 hours ago, Paul P said:

the 987 is the same re jacking back and putting the stand on the front.  And usually I sit a big lump of railway sleeper underneath.  But had the stand to hand.  

My jack won’t raise the front jacking point high enough to get an axle stand under the rear jack point. New higher lift jack arriving next week.

Attepmted the discs and pads yesterday. Front drivers side went according to plan:

5kjAAi8.jpg

Rear drivers.... a seized slide pin!

My punch wasn't doing anything and I didn't have any penetrating fluid (now 4PM on a Bank Holiday). A number of posts on here with the same issue and they resorted to cutting the pin out, so one cut pin later:

OTdOJPz.jpg

I didn't order a rear fitting kit so the cars off the road until that arrives 🙄 ECP/GSF don't stock the parts and design911 don't list it specifically for my car but I found this https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod5013/Brake-Pad-Pin-Kit-Porsche-996---997---986---987---987C-99635295901/ ...which states "986 Boxster S 3.2L Rear / 987.2 Boxster 2.9L / S 3.4L Rear".

design911 then also have the same rear caliper listed (here) for the 986 S through to to 987.2 S so I'm hoping it's going to fit.

Edited by DisplayName
image formatting

39 minutes ago, DisplayName said:

Attepmted the discs and pads yesterday. Front drivers side went according to plan:

5kjAAi8.jpg

Rear drivers.... a seized slide pin!

My punch wasn't doing anything and I didn't have any penetrating fluid (now 4PM on a Bank Holiday). A number of posts on here with the same issue and they resorted to cutting the pin out, so one cut pin later:

OTdOJPz.jpg

I didn't order a rear fitting kit so the cars off the road until that arrives 🙄 ECP/GSF don't stock the parts and design911 don't list it specifically for my car but I found this https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod5013/Brake-Pad-Pin-Kit-Porsche-996---997---986---987---987C-99635295901/ ...which states "986 Boxster S 3.2L Rear / 987.2 Boxster 2.9L / S 3.4L Rear".

design911 then also have the same rear caliper listed (here) for the 986 S through to to 987.2 S so I'm hoping it's going to fit.

Given those are genuine Porsche parts maybe check with OPC Bristol re price/availability (ask for discount too) ?

21 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Given those are genuine Porsche parts maybe check with OPC Bristol re price/availability (ask for discount too) ?

Good idea! Just called them and the fitting kit is in stock, but they're stuck in storage which is computer controller and is down this morning 😆.

I also called design911 and they agreed I had the right part it's just missing off the site for my car specifically. Hopefully I'll get them mid week so it's ready for next weekend.

15 hours ago, Deano37 said:

Attempted to replace the IMS flange seal.

Locked at TDC and locked the cams, removed the tensioners but couldn't undue the nut on the IMS shaft.

The slot to hold the shaft with a flat blade screw driver is not deep enough to get a good purchase on it, so trying to undue the nut just causes the shaft to turn as well.

Will have another try tomorrow and hope i have more luck. :( 

Why did you embark on this perilous journey?

37 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Why did you embark on this perilous journey?

Thought i had a leaking RMS seal but turns out its oil leaking from the IMS flange seal.

Been trying all morning to get the nut off, but it will nut budge with the limited purchase on the shaft. Tried to make the slot in the shaft deeper but no different. :(