What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

2 hours ago, Angus76 said:

Good job. Where did you get the fronts? What was the process to fit? Easy? 👍

Ebay purchase, they were very easy to fit, even removing the old ones after 16 years the screws were tight but came off ok. Took about 10 mins in total. I would note they sit a little bit out from the bumper so dont quite look OEM but i can live with the trade off for the modern LED/DRL look.

1 hour ago, Pinewood said:

Sahara sands removed between Teams meetings. #Cleanfortheweekend

Sahara sandsSahara sands

Sahara sands

Thought Saharan sand was yellow, mine is. Yours looks white. You did get it bad though. 

48 minutes ago, NICTRY said:

Ebay purchase, they were very easy to fit, even removing the old ones after 16 years the screws were tight but came off ok. Took about 10 mins in total. I would note they sit a little bit out from the bumper so dont quite look OEM but i can live with the trade off for the modern LED/DRL look.

Do you have a link to them? Thanks 👍

Replaced front wishbones and ARB bushes.  Next, the front coolant crossover and radiator pipes ...  Local OPC have agreed to refund and restock any parts not needed - like the plastic distributor pipes, which is good of them

On 3/17/2022 at 8:25 PM, gillbe said:

Replaced front wishbones and ARB bushes.  Next, the front coolant crossover and radiator pipes ...  Local OPC have agreed to refund and restock any parts not needed - like the plastic distributor pipes, which is good of them

RglBddC.jpgGSrRdmu.jpgncnyNkA.jpg

Subframe dropped - all ready to replace the crossovers and 4 rad pipes 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Good luck, let us know how you get on 👍

Pipes all replaced, only needed to use 1 new plastic distributor pipe on RHS.  Worst pipe stumps to remove are the lower front rubber pipes into plastic distributor.  Who knew metal on plastic rust could grip so hard.

Final reassembly on hold, as neglected to order the front left and right pipe supports just in case - and the right hand one, numbered 5 in the diagram, was truly rotten, lower bolt 11 into welded nut sheered and will not come out of the nut; and long bolt down through 6, 8 and into 5 was completely seized in, rendering the plastic pipe 8 useless too.  Strangely cannot see that bolt on any diagrams, looks like M6 x 55 hex head - OPC are trying to source this and two new pipe supports for Tuesday.

Meanwhile, next job is to discover how to get into engine bay to refill...

image.thumb.png.6971bd2ca15deffa70e540925090fb62.png

1 hour ago, Finbox said:

Mine is still looking sad under the car cover... I think I can start driving again around Easter, roads are still icy here. 

Been a while.   Hope you can get back in it soon.  

• Like 1

Changed it's grills. Unfortunately or fortunately I found some rust 🙁 Nearside grill at the bottom left edge has been touching the bodywork all it's life, eventually rubbed the paint away and started to rust. It's just hidden by the Cayman ones and even more hidden by the original Boxster ones. Read a post on here somewhere that someone had exactly the same issue. Definitely worth checking if you've never had yours off. Will try to sort it in the next few days.

Screenshot_2022-03-23-19-55-31-24_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817

To this

Screenshot_2022-03-23-23-17-20-75_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817

49 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Changed it's grills. Unfortunately or fortunately I found some rust 🙁 Nearside grill at the bottom left edge has been touching the bodywork all it's life, eventually rubbed the paint away and started to rust. It's just hidden by the Cayman ones and even more hidden by the original Boxster ones. Read a post on here somewhere that someone had exactly the same issue. Definitely worth checking if you've never had yours off. Will try to sort it in the next few days.

I had this in exactly the same place. Only noticed it when I removed the grill. 

Looking at that bubbling the corrosion could be working through from the thin edge of the panel all the way round that corner. Had the paint been rubbed away there too?

Could be the 987 equivalent of the 986 rusting point in this area just under the side intake. That is cause by some deadening material absorbing moisture and keeping it in contact with the steel on the inside of the panels so it rots inside to out.

All the rust was superficial on mine, it just seems that the grille moves slightly and had worn the paint to the point where water gets through. I sanded back to bare metal, zinc primered and then gave it to a local body shop who did the rear quarter, sill and interior door shut area and drivers door. I only did this much paint as there were other small marks that made sense to do a bigger area.

43 minutes ago, MickH said:

Rab at RM bodywork did an amazing job on my arches mate. Just down at college Milton. 

I was planning on having a go at it myself as it's not too big an area and kind of hidden. How are his prices?

10 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I was planning on having a go at it myself as it's not too big an area and kind of hidden. How are his prices?

Id say very good for the level of work. 

Saw you the other day. But I was in the other car. 

You will need to pop up for a coffee again soon. I have some shiney new bits getting fitted soon :)