What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

16 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I think I would rather have replaced the tyres first and avoid an advisory on the history........but that's just me.

And if you have an invoice a week or two later for new tyres where's the problem with that in the history?  Its just worn tyres, it wasn't presented with illegal tyres and failed; that could indicate a less well maintained car.  I don't get the 'zero advisory' in the history.  Its not like rusty brake lines or failing suspension bushes. 

One car I put for MOT, full check all round for tyres, bulbs etc., all good  Failed on brake lights 2 hours later.  Switch went u/s between me checking and the test.  Fixed same day and passed following day.  Still shows as a fail in the history though.  

• Like 1

Taken the tiptronic gearbox out of my 05 3.2 S what a job on your own as it's big and heavy.

Biggest paint getting that 12 point female spline bolt out on the left hand side of the box.

I was sure my rear main seal was leaking but that's bone dry it's the IMS bearing leaking.

Going to have to do some research as which way to go now.

Both gearbox mounts leaking so they need renewal.

Soak in the bath now and aperitifs as I'm in France.

50 minutes ago, philw696 said:

I was sure my rear main seal was leaking but that's bone dry it's the IMS bearing leaking.

Oh, unless it is a very early '05 car it will need the crank case splitting to change the IMSB.  Check your engine number if lower than 62504095 it is the older 986 style which can be changed in situ, but is more prone to failure... On this occasion it would be good news.  Bellow gives a visual reference so you can check.

MStTlMa.jpg 

2 hours ago, philw696 said:

Going to have to have a good look now and keep my fingers crossed.

Engine number is

62506912 so I'm guessing that's no good in this instance.

To be fair having done a few manual clutch,s on my own in the garage at home, it’s getting them back in where another pair of hands help, even just a shove when you are concentrating on aligning 

A bit of shameless promotion here.  On 24 April there is a Boxster 25th Anniversary BoXa.net meet at the British Motor Museum Gaydon, please link to the topic below for more information and to note your interest:

• Thanks 1

Okay had a good clean up and my engine is the M96 version in my 05 3.2 S.

I'm going to replace the cover seal and o ring and I have already bought a new RMS.

The rest of the motor is bone dry just dusty.

I reckon the autobox is a lot heavier than the manual one.

Any advice on changing the diff oil as I'm going to change the trans fluid and filter too.

Rowed it like a boat on a horrid commute this morning and then roof down in glorious sunshine on the way home.

Got out exhausted by a 986S on the A13 which sounded very nice although their roof was obviously broken as it was up.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/22/2022 at 8:18 AM, ½cwt said:

And if you have an invoice a week or two later for new tyres where's the problem with that in the history?  Its just worn tyres, it wasn't presented with illegal tyres and failed; that could indicate a less well maintained car.  I don't get the 'zero advisory' in the history.  Its not like rusty brake lines or failing suspension bushes. 

One car I put for MOT, full check all round for tyres, bulbs etc., all good  Failed on brake lights 2 hours later.  Switch went u/s between me checking and the test.  Fixed same day and passed following day.  Still shows as a fail in the history though.  

Rear boots replaced the other day as per MOT advisory

Took it to work, first day back in 4 months.

Out of the drive, hard right in our narrow road to avoid the car parked up nearby, think I'll just squeeze round it.... CRRRRUNCH.

My black alloy now has a very textured silver strip of about 15cm round the rim :mad:

Goodyear Eagle rim protector tyre lips are apparently not idiot-proof :( 

• Sad 4

Replaced the gas strut on the trunk as it was barely holding the boot up.  It was so easy and quick to do I did the bonnet struts today as they were creaking a bit.  Literally 10 mins and £40 to do the whole lot.  Very satisfying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greyanglia said:

Good news and bad news today.

Sailed through the MOT but non functioning Aircon diagnosed as leaking compressor (as expected).

Just waiting for quote to have both sides done 🤞

Leaking compressor, or leaking condenser?? 🤔

Red coolant drips discovered coming off rear of the foremost undercover.  300ml topup required (last checked 4 months ago - so a slow leak.

Time to bite the bullet and replace the whole set of coolant pipes?  (2010, 94K )  Will be DIY - looking at all the resources on here, should be doable on the driveway with rear ramps and front axle stands, so long as rain and wind hold off a few days

Do I NEED a vacuum coolant filler 🤔 ....

46 minutes ago, gillbe said:

Red coolant drips discovered coming off rear of the foremost undercover.  300ml topup required (last checked 4 months ago - so a slow leak.

Time to bite the bullet and replace the whole set of coolant pipes?  (2010, 94K )  Will be DIY - looking at all the resources on here, should be doable on the driveway with rear ramps and front axle stands, so long as rain and wind hold off a few days

Do I NEED a vacuum coolant filler 🤔 ....

Not necessarily, however It does make the job easier, can be a bar steward to bleed!

• Thanks 1

Not necessarily, what I’ve done on my car ,which is a tad of topic, but fitted a electric roller garage door, which has given me 200 mm clearance when backing out, so no more wing mirror worries!!!