What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Was fed up with the split in the silver cap on my gearknob catching on my hand when I changed gear. Took it off, took all the silver coating off and sprayed it with Wurth silver. Colour was OK but I couldn't get a gloss finish. Looked in my wife's nail polish drawer and found some silver that looked close. Came out a bit cr*p but by now I'd got bored so I just put it back on. Looks OK from about 10 paces away.

And fek Porsche for not selling the cap as a separate item and wanting £200 for a complete shifter/gaiter assy.

• Haha 1

Polished and sealed my sun bleached headlights. Used my existing maquires kit with the little abrasive pads and then wool buff and cream on one side and tried turtle wax shine and seal on the other. The maquires wins for results but the turtlewax comes a close second. I'll equal them out and the bonus about the turtlewax is it protects against uv so the results should last longer 👍

6 hours ago, JonSta said:

Was fed up with the split in the silver cap on my gearknob catching on my hand when I changed gear. Took it off, took all the silver coating off and sprayed it with Wurth silver. Colour was OK but I couldn't get a gloss finish. Looked in my wife's nail polish drawer and found some silver that looked close. Came out a bit cr*p but by now I'd got bored so I just put it back on. Looks OK from about 10 paces away.

And fek Porsche for not selling the cap as a separate item and wanting £200 for a complete shifter/gaiter assy.

Part 2 couldn't bear it so I took it off, stripped it all off and started again. Gave it another coat of Wurth silver and found some clear laquer in the shed so I gave it a coat and it's a bit better this time. I'll give it another coat in a bit.

mines been dropped to the bodyshop for a full respray in the original GT Silver. after the fiasco last year with the approved bodyshop, refitting things wrong, damaging existing paint, and all the stonechips o nthe front end, it was time to bite the bullet and get the car up to a great standard. once thats painted, they are dry storing it for two months before it gets full PPF to keep the paint pristine. Then it will go off for service, brake fluid, healthcheck and be put up for sale!

15 minutes ago, Takahashi said:

mines been dropped to the bodyshop for a full respray in the original GT Silver. after the fiasco last year with the approved bodyshop, refitting things wrong, damaging existing paint, and all the stonechips o nthe front end, it was time to bite the bullet and get the car up to a great standard. once thats painted, they are dry storing it for two months before it gets full PPF to keep the paint pristine. Then it will go off for service, brake fluid, healthcheck and be put up for sale!

This reads like the end of a tale of woe. I scrolled back a few pages to see what led you here, but couldn't find it. Sorry for your troubles.

At least you'll be trading it on in good order.

6 minutes ago, McDonald said:

This reads like the end of a tale of woe. I scrolled back a few pages to see what led you here, but couldn't find it. Sorry for your troubles.

At least you'll be trading it on in good order.

yeh, its been an amzing car, but woe is a great explanation. i barely work from the office anymore, so 3 cars and a motorbike is a bit much..

Just now, Takahashi said:

yeh, its been an amzing car, but woe is a great explanation. i barely work from the office anymore, so 3 cars and a motorbike is a bit much..

I understand trimming the fleet but sorry you've had grief with the Boxster. I'd be mortified if mine had to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Takahashi said:

There's a great car in there. Once it's all up to snuff you'll have no trouble selling it.

Just completed a swap of the PCM3 hard drive to an SSD drive - preventative maintenance after having a blue screen moment on one of the few really hot days last summer. I need to refit the unit and test the operation but if all goes well I at least have a backup drive should this new one fail.

Keith

2 minutes ago, huytonman said:

Just completed a swap of the PCM3 hard drive to an SSD drive - preventative maintenance after having a blue screen moment on one of the few really hot days last summer. I need to refit the unit and test the operation but if all goes well I at least have a backup drive should this new one fail.

Keith

Keith - possibly teaching my grandma to suck eggs - if so - please ignore - but I wouldn't depend on the drive being readable if you ever need it again - suggest either another ssd copy now - or take an image of the disk onto another medium - I find that hard working drives tend to die if left "cold" for long periods ( assume is lubricant hardening or similar )

• Like 1

Exhaust triangle gaskets on both sides and gearbox oil changed.  

the drivers side nuts and bolds had given way (heard a twang when driving followed by two stroke bike type racket ) but the passenger side crumbled and separated with a slight twist of a flat blade screwdriver. 
it’s obviously been leaking for a while now as it sounds far nicer standing next to the drivers side and much fruitier from the tail pipe.  

• Like 1

Right hand “wing” mirror was taking ages to get rid of condensation when the demist switch was on. When I took the mirror off it had separated from the heating element, so no wonder it was poor. Simple replacement job (adjust the mirror so the outer edge is as far forward out of the cover as possible, get your fingers behind and gently pull forwards, then just swap the connections over and push the new one back on and it clicks into place).

I have an IR thermometer which showed 4 celcius at the mirror surface when the old one was switched on, but now it was 18 and rising within a minute with the new one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111592692011

26 minutes ago, BBB said:

Right hand “wing” mirror was taking ages to get rid of condensation when the demist switch was on. When I took the mirror off it had separated from the heating element, so no wonder it was poor. Simple replacement job (adjust the mirror so the outer edge is as far forward out of the cover as possible, get your fingers behind and gently pull forwards, then just swap the connections over and push the new one back on and it clicks into place).

I have an IR thermometer which showed 4 celcius at the mirror surface when the old one was switched on, but now it was 18 and rising within a minute with the new one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111592692011

Hi. What activates the heater in the mirror? Separate button or windscreen demist?