What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Finally got round to fitting my mesh on the front vents and decided to do the centre section as well, it's a blanking plate as standard. I was going to paint the centre section with glossy black Plastidip after a rub down but thought I'd give the mesh ago as I had plenty left over, what do you think? Cleaned the debris out of the coolant and A/C the rads whilst I had the bumper off and Lanoguard treated under the inner wings (and anything else in sight) whilst I had the liners off. Gave the wheels a good clean then applied PoorBoys wheel sealant followed by TurtleWax HYBRID SOLUTIONS CERAMIC + GRAPHENE PASTE WAX, don't know if both were needed but as I had them on they went. Glad to get the jobs out the way before winter

51689382484_3ccb02ec55_z.jpg

51687915177_8d72379cd7_z.jpg

51687918267_4298b9e0ed_z.jpg

51688701826_2a72bf3aa6_z.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/23/2021 at 6:42 PM, BBB said:

I had some of these and one fell off during the first drive after installation. Check that they are firmly into the bodywork as one of the springs on mine wasn’t tight so it popped out and then wizzed around in an arc on the wires while I was driving. I only noticed when I got home. Luckily there were no scratches in the paint, but the spring had come off completely so they both went in the bin and I had to refit the originals.

Strangely enough I had the same issue but my own fault. Took the bumper of to do my grills (just posted up) and lost one of the spring clips. They are quite loose in the indicator so I'd drop a bit of superglue on them when they arrive. I got onto AliExpress (Bluetech are the actual guys that sell the indicators) and credit where credit's due they are sending me a replacement pair FOC 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:22 PM, Megatonks said:

Evening! First post in this thread from me - New owner :)

Spent a couple hours this evening doing some minor stuff to the 987.

2500grit, cutting compound, polish, BH speed wax and the headlights are sorted

Before:

fyz8nLBl.jpg

After:

jddYdRLl.jpg

Took the panels out at the front, partly to learn how to do it, but partly to check out the front drain-tubes that are most likely blocked. I was right! Didn't have time to do the right side too but left side both drain holes were blocked. Leaves and wet mushy black debris all over the place in the scuttle area in general.. Only took a photo of one though

gtUowqMl.jpg

Had a fiddle with the DIY front-vent mesh grills to find that one of the foglight units is actually snapped on the screw-mount. Bit of glue to dry overnight. (Are all things this straight forward to take off this car? The screws weren't even rusty!?)

9hh0beIl.jpg

sezrz0el.jpg
4kWBEGDl.jpg

Also didn't like how the meshes were attached (just bent edges with some silicon in a couple of the corners). 

I'll probably clean this all up and do it a different way. Anyone got any links to good mesh products to buy, or maybe some nice ideas for a DIY one?

Just posted up my grills, see page 135 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Finally got round to fitting my mesh on the front vents and decided to do the centre section as well, it's a blanking plate as standard. I was going to paint the centre section with glossy black Plastidip after a rub down but thought I'd give the mesh ago as I had plenty left over, what do you think? Cleaned the debris out of the coolant and A/C the rads whilst I had the bumper off and Lanoguard treated under the inner wings (and anything else in sight) whilst I had the liners off. Gave the wheels a good clean then applied PoorBoys wheel sealant followed by TurtleWax HYBRID SOLUTIONS CERAMIC + GRAPHENE PASTE WAX, don't know if both were needed but as I had them on they went. Glad to get the jobs out the way before winter

Nice, I bought that exact same mesh to do same, but haven't got round to it yet. How easy was getting bumper off? How did you attach mesh? I was aiming to do something neat - glued?

40 minutes ago, Hainesy said:

Nice, I bought that exact same mesh to do same, but haven't got round to it yet. How easy was getting bumper off? How did you attach mesh? I was aiming to do something neat - glued?

• took the bumper off so I could clean out the years of debris that have accumulated in and around the rads. Quite a simple job on mine and makes the grill fitting a lot easier. Made a template out of cardboard just slightly bigger than I needed then trimmed down the plastic using a dremel so get a nice friction fit. But to secure them in place I took the horizontal slat covers off the frame and by using the dremel to take away a small section on the lip of the frame was able to feed a small zip tie underneath the cover so nothing shows externally. I also used the plastic mesh to replace the solid section in the middle on my model. The top of the plastic fits snugly in the original mounting holes for the middle section then I used a thin strip of clear silicon sealant along the bottom to hold it in place. Obviously may not apply to you model but if it does it's worth bearing in mind. Will supply more detail if required. It is a laborious job to get an exact fit of the mesh due to having to cut it at so many places, but when viewed from normal height and distance perfectly presentable. I used the flat edge of the purchased mesh along the tops of the vents as they are "flat" as opposed to the bottom which is obviously curved. Cheers..Rob

•  
      May be a close-up

•  
      No photo description available.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Filled her up with fuel at a cost of £90.

Ran mine lower than usual and filled up for €102. First time I've ever broken three figures. And that was 95 RON, would have certainly been more if I'd found a place with 98.

fixed the roof balljoints and now have a working roof again 😎

its a bit fiddly and rather than doing on the car it is far easier to remove the rod mech from the arem/mechanism - and the threads needed a die running over to clean them up. I did use tape to show where the new one needed to be screwed onto

😒 although being at the business end I now notice the motor or cables are pretty noisy on the down - its smooth but sounds rough -  up is better in terms of noise

On 11/18/2021 at 5:11 PM, Gramps said:

Looks great!

Can I ask where you got the mesh from?

9 hours ago, Laney456 said:

Looks great!

Can I ask where you got the mesh from?

Morning @Laney456 . Got it off Ebay, gone up a quid since, but as I said I had only just got round to fitting it. Done the front sections obviously and still loads left for a de-snorkel etc, already de-snorkelled mine a while back using wire mesh but I prefer this plastic. 🙂 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371513683770

2 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Morning @Laney456 . Got it off Ebay, gone up a quid since, but as I said I had only just got round to fitting it. Done the front sections obviously and still loads left for a de-snorkel etc, already de-snorkelled mine a while back using wire mesh but I prefer this plastic. 🙂 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371513683770

Lovely job... looks nice and OEM. Straight onto that sir. Thank you 

Dropped the Boxster off at AMS Porsche (well technically I did this Friday) for a new clutch/RMS/IMS as on the last enthusiastic drive the 16yo clutch gave up the ghost. Was an exciting drive getting it there with anything other than 10-15% throttle slipping the clutch 😂

Mine is in winter hibernation, but got around to removing the battery today to charge it. Did it together with my son, he was surprised how heavy the battery was. I'm going to charge the battery with my CTEK every now and then during the winter hoping it will be good to go when I get car back on the road in April.

3 hours ago, Finbox said:

Mine is in winter hibernation, but got around to removing the battery today to charge it. Did it together with my son, he was surprised how heavy the battery was. I'm going to charge the battery with my CTEK every now and then during the winter hoping it will be good to go when I get car back on the road in April.

Leave the CTEK on all the time, it conditions the battery.

Edited by Tony Daniel

6 hours ago, Finbox said:

The cars have a habit of forgetting some options if they go without a battery for a long time- things like heated seats, interior lights, memory seats, headlights can stop working - only solution is a "handover reset" with a Porsche PIWIS diags setup.

Much better as others have said to leave the battery in the car and connect the battery conditioner to it and leave it on - it cycles the battery slightly - allowing a small discharge then top up - keeps the car happy.

Unfortunately there is no way to get the battery charged without removing it from the car, there are no electricity outlets in the garage. I asked the local OPC about this and they said it's no issue for a 987/987.2 to remove the battery. There might be a few things requiring resetting, but no need for PIWIS (according to them). Anyway, no other option, so I will know better in the spring!-)

I'd say 99% Boxster's and 911's are stored somewhere over the winter here in Finland. It's -10 celcius and windy today, not exactly Boxster weather.  

Edited by Finbox

29 minutes ago, Finbox said:

Unfortunately there is no way to get the battery charged without removing it from the car, there are no electricity outlets in the garage. I asked the local OPC about this and they said it's no issue for a 987/987.2 to remove the battery. There might be a few things requiring resetting, but no need for PIWIS (according to them). Anyway, no other option, so I will know better in the spring!-)

I'd say 99% Boxster's and 911's are stored somewhere over the winter here in Finland. It's -10 celcius and windy today, not exactly Boxster weather.  

Fair point.    I guess you do the best you can and for sure it’s better than leaving the battery in there to die   

For what it’s worth.  I have done handover resets on a couple of 987 ‘ s and a 997 following a flat battery.  So maybe removal is better than leave in place.  As you say  you will find out in the spring   

Personally if it was an option I  would still hook up the conditioner to the battery and leave it connected even if it’s off the car rather than an occasional reconnect.  They have logic to cycle the battery over time and if you just charge it for a day every now and then then they won’t get into that cycle.  

Completed the suspension refresh by having it Hunter aligned. All in the green now :)

I really should have asked how much it would be when I booked it in, so was expecting the worse. For one hours work doing the alignment, including freeing the track rod ends with heat as they were seized, £65. A bit of a bargain I think.