What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, Deano37 said:

At last I got my Designtec switched exhaust working!

Even since fitting the exhaust I have never been able to get it to switch (stuck in loud mode), so decide to try and find out why.

After taking the plenum and associated parts of, i traced the vacuum pipes and the pickup from the vacuum pump hose had a snapped pipe fitting. Manufactured a repair and it now works a treat!  :thumbsup_anim:

Also found that the AOS had not been seated correctly since i replaced it a few months ago, bottom pipe had not pushed into the hose correctly, hoping that is the culprit for my puff of blue smoke sometimes on 1st engine start.

What vacuum pump. Did they nick my design based on previous posts ? 

I replaced the microswitch in the roof today as it was either not recognising the roof was down or not dropping the windows when I released the roof.

Will re-solder the old one and keep as a spare but just happy I don’t have the will it / won’t it worry when I pull up somewhere and go to close the roof!

Reversed out of a parking space at work on Tuesday...BANG!! and the front left corner of the car dropped an inch or so. The spring had snapped about half way up the coil. I limped the car home, wincing over every bump.

Today, with the help of a friend who has a two poster lift, replaced both front struts, springs, coffin arms and tuning forks. It took five hours of hard labour. Had to cut both coffin arms out of the subframe and the top bolt on one droplink was a complete git to get out. It was a much nicer drive home 🥳

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BBB said:

Reversed out of a parking space at work on Tuesday...BANG!! and the front left corner of the car dropped an inch or so. The spring had snapped about half way up the coil. I limped the car home, wincing over every bump.

Today, with the help of a friend who has a two poster lift, replaced both front struts, springs, coffin arms and tuning forks. It took five hours of hard labour. Had to cut both coffin arms out of the subframe and the top bolt on one droplink was a complete git to get out. It was a much nicer drive home 🥳

Another initiate at the altar of Boxster suspension rebuilds!  Oh that I'd had a 2 post lift when doing mine!

The rear will feel like it needs doing now!

32 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Another initiate at the altar of Boxster suspension rebuilds!  Oh that I'd had a 2 post lift when doing mine!

The rear will feel like it needs doing now!

The rear is definitely next, but only after I buy some more blades for the reciprocating saw!

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow. How were your coolant pipes while there?

Already done thanks. It was the first job I had done when I got the car, but I wimped out and let an Indy do it when I read that it involved lowering the subframe.

10 hours ago, BBB said:

The rear is definitely next, but only after I buy some more blades for the reciprocating saw!

I can recommend a Bosch Sabre blade from doing mine.  One did all I needed (4 bolts and 2 drop links, yes the full set!) and still has life in it.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I can recommend a Bosch Sabre blade from doing mine.  One did all I needed (4 bolts and 2 drop links, yes the full set!) and still has life in it.

What saw have you got? one of the bosche versions?

11 minutes ago, BBB said:

@andygoThis is the one I bought too.  Only need a cheap one to cut a few bolts, not a full spec professional battery powered tool for daily use.

16 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@andygoThis is the one I bought too.  Only need a cheap one to cut a few bolts, not a full spec professional battery powered tool for daily use.

Agreed. Sometimes the cheapy version is just pants though compared to a supposed quality brand, so a good recommendation is always helpful!

After finishing the front suspension rebuild took it down to Atec-align in Huddersfield for full 4 wheel hunter alignment. lovely chap and knew his stuff would highly reccomend.

picked up a Carnewal exhaust earlier, a job for tomorrow if I finish work early 🤞

Edited by benjohnstone

Replaced the coolant bleeder valve.

I replaced the cap first as mine was the 01 variant, but I was still getting coolant vapour condensing around the plastic that surrounds the filler caps. It took about half an hour, was easy to do and the kit (valve, bottom bit, two O rings and 8 new screws) was £60.

I hope it fixes it, although the OPC parts guy said that most people just leave it as it’s not a big deal to lose some vapour. He told me AFTER I’d paid for it...

• Thanks 1

Gave mine a proper wash, it might be that the season is over for my Boxster. I have a warm garage where I can park it, but no way to charge the battery. Might be the best bet to take out the battery and charge it elsewhere? Would I get issues with the car electronics?

y1c4XZG - Imgur.jpg

26 minutes ago, Finbox said:

Gave mine a proper wash, it might be that the season is over for my Boxster. I have a warm garage where I can park it, but no way to charge the battery. Might be the best bet to take out the battery and charge it elsewhere? Would I get issues with the car electronics?

y1c4XZG - Imgur.jpg

Prolonged no or low battery can cause the car to forget some options - it goes into transit mode - things like heated seats, interior lights, headlight washers etc. can simply be forgotten - and require dealer diags (PIWIS) to reinstate - if it happens the car needs a "handover reset".

There are other things that will need doing when you reconnect - windows need to relearn top and bottom position, PSM will throw an error, ignition adaption needs resetting ( all "user" do able ) - there's a few guides kicking around here.

That said of course - doesn't always happen ( but it is prone to happening ). I would be tempted get another battery, put it on a battery conditioner ( ctek are good - other (cheaper) makes are available), and swap it over in the car every month or so - but thats an extreme option.

But if you have no choice that make triple sure you can't close the frunk - some people stuff the lock with a rag - others go as far as removing the striker plate from the lid - other things to do if parked up is - fill it up with good ( zero ethanol if you can ) petrol, over inflate the tyres, don't put the handbrake on and put some dehumidifer bags inside the car.

Many thanks Paul for your advice. I think will check this beforehand with the local OPC, they must have a lot of experience with this as here in Scandinavia most sport Porches's are garaged during the winter.

It's a shame there is no power outlets in the garage, I'd be happy to pay a bit to use one. It's otherwise a good garage, warm and clean. I also have an indoor car over coming (though like everything it's delayed).

The tyre, fuel and handbrake recommendations came from my local OPC (although they are not used to Scandinavian winters :) )

You should get some good  advice.  

Edited by Paul P

Had a chance to test my new CTEK MXS5 battery charger I'd bought for the winter sooner than expected.  Haven't driven the car for about a week and when I went to start it last night it didn't have enough juice to turn over properly.  Hopefully not the start of a re-occurring  issue...

Hi Hainsey, I've used the MX 5.0 for 3 years with no issues what so ever, car garaged over winter and if in garage for more than a week.  However my Boxster has always been a 'Lazy' starter, slow turn over but always fired up straight away. This always worried me a bit if I was parked far from home, but started every time. I have had alternator and battery checked 3 times and always show both in good condition. Not sure that helps, hopefully a bit.