What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

10 hours ago, Megatonks said:

Had a fiddle with the DIY front-vent mesh grills...

Anyone got any links to good mesh products to buy, or maybe some nice ideas for a DIY one?

Protecting the condensers makes very good sense.

It looks like someone DIY'd the mesh on yours to avoid the expense & appearance of Zunsport.

I really don't like the Z option because I find it ugly.

I took the expensive route and got some shipped from America. They're discreet & I'm v pleased with them but the home-made ones I've seen are just as good and cost very little. Maximum function, minimal visibility.

3 minutes ago, McDonald said:

It looks like someone DIY'd the mesh on yours to avoid the expense & appearance of Zunsport.

I took the expensive route and got some shipped from America. They're discreet & I'm v pleased with them but the home-made ones I've seen are just as good and cost very little. Maximum function, minimal visibility.

Don't disagree at all - I do feel that anything over £50 for a pair of pieces of mesh is a bit crazy.

Any recommendation on mounting/fixing the DIY ones in place though?

55 minutes ago, Megatonks said:

Don't disagree at all - I do feel that anything over £50 for a pair of pieces of mesh is a bit crazy.

There's a useful thread :-

DIY Mesh Grill (looking for ideas!)

1/2 cwt gives a good account of his mesh work.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, McDonald said:

There's a useful thread :-

DIY Mesh Grill (looking for ideas!)

1/2 cwt gives a good account of his mesh work.

Mine was for a 986, but same process seems to have been done on OP's 987. It is possible to fix with self tappers rather than than hot glue gun or silicone but I didn't want to put even descreet holes in my front moulding.

Took my car to Porsche Portsmouth today for MOT. Lovely place, nice folk, splendid toys of many varieties, including a used Spyder in Black with a red rag top. I'm staggered that these cars change hands so frequently. Two owners & 3,000 miles. Another beauty for sale with less than 1,000 miles. I'll never understand rich, fickle folk.

Someone in the service dept took the time to look through my receipts file. I wasn't sure if the suspension had been renewed at all. It turns out that the front suspension was renewed last year. The examiner showed me the suspension front & rear and commented that the car is in fine condition and no suspension issues are on the horizon.

The only advisory referred to rear tyres at just over 3mm. Fine for now but new boots will be required before winter.

Happy.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2021 at 9:11 AM, McDonald said:

Definitely worth doing , especially if you see the dinks/ paint knocked off on the Zunnsport mesh I have fitted 

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Definitely worth doing , especially if you see the dinks/ paint knocked off on the Zunnsport mesh I have fitted 

An the cr*p I pick out of my DIY grille mesh too.  Must be protecting the condensers and rads significantly.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 9:15 AM, Megatonks said:

The ones I got from the US came with small black plastic cable ties. On a 987.2 the horizontal ‘blades’ have small holes in them that you can thread the ties through. Then clip off the cable ties and the fixings are secure and pretty much invisible.

33 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Drove it to somewhere called an office.

Had an entire level of the car park to myself.

Glad you posted that after the event otherwise local enterprise would have had a rush on transits (or “trafics” ) to park next to you. 

• Like 1

Underdrive pulley fitted, nice and straightforward other than die grinding the boss off to allow the pulley to fit.

Notice any difference? I assume you're tracking the car? I haven't yet had any issues with the PS pump but I may do this over the winter

2 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Notice any difference? I assume you're tracking the car? I haven't yet had any issues with the PS pump but I may do this over the winter

No not tried just started it up, to make sure all was ok.Not tracking, just freeing  a few more ponies.

No not tried just started it up, to make sure all was ok.Not tracking, just freeing  a few more ponies.

Equivalent of around 5 to 10 bhp extra depending on how under driven you make it IIRC.

Fitted a rear view camera that i bought off Aliexpress. Its part of an LED number plate light.

For Porsche 987 987 2 Boxster 2005 2010 Waterproof HD CCD Car Rearview Parking Reverse Backup Rear View Camera Night Vision|Vehicle Camera| - AliExpress

Easy plug n play removal and install. I put the roof in the service position, removed the rear light (passenger side) and found a hole in the corner where i could fish the cables through. I used a long garden plant stick to thread through the light aperture and out of the LH side number plate light hole. Then taped the cable to the stick and pulled it through. Really easy. Then found a way under the weather sealing panels around the roof storage area and tucked the cable under this, then out though the back carpet panel behind the seat, close to the passenger seatbelt attachment point. Then down to the middle of the car and tucked the cable under the centre tunnel console. 

Ive got an ICE expert completing the connecting part on Friday as im scared of electrics and he has the keys to remove the stereo.

I hope it works after all this!!!

Ran into total flat battery problem after leaving far too long, my fault entirely. (may also have left dashcam live)
Key unlock door, quite a narrow garage so is normal to need drivers window down to slide in, was a bit of a squeeze but in with TACKlife diddy booster pack.
Open fuse flap near right knee, use yellow fuse puller to pull fuse next to it with diagram of front bonnet opening, it's not really a fuse and will only come out around half an inch to reveal copper contacts.
Key in ignition.
Positive feed from booster pack to fake fuse, earth to  nearest, so in this cramped condition door hinge worked.
That gave enough power and popped frunk.
Drivers window down, easier out/in.
Moved booster pack to battery, electrical noises as things came to life and beeped.

Started first time, am well impressed with these small booster pack things, this one claimed went from 100% to 97% after the start.

Long drive in the sun, did stop halfway for a walk and ice cream, long drive back seems fine, will obviously keep an eye on the battery now, maybe winter trickle feed.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Sammysmiths said:

Fitted a rear view camera that i bought off Aliexpress. Its part of an LED number plate light.

For Porsche 987 987 2 Boxster 2005 2010 Waterproof HD CCD Car Rearview Parking Reverse Backup Rear View Camera Night Vision|Vehicle Camera| - AliExpress

Easy plug n play removal and install. I put the roof in the service position, removed the rear light (passenger side) and found a hole in the corner where i could fish the cables through. I used a long garden plant stick to thread through the light aperture and out of the LH side number plate light hole. Then taped the cable to the stick and pulled it through. Really easy. Then found a way under the weather sealing panels around the roof storage area and tucked the cable under this, then out though the back carpet panel behind the seat, close to the passenger seatbelt attachment point. Then down to the middle of the car and tucked the cable under the centre tunnel console. 

Ive got an ICE expert completing the connecting part on Friday as im scared of electrics and he has the keys to remove the stereo.

I hope it works after all this!!!

Camera now fully connected and it works a treat . Good image quality. The ICE guy did say that some of the cheap Chinese cameras would be very unstable and the image would roll on the screen, due to interference from the alternator, but mine is fine. £11 we’ll spent. 

I also sent my new replacement service book away to PC Silverstone to get the first service stamped (2007). When it comes back, I’ll be sending it to PC Bournemouth and then PC Cambridge. I’ve traced 6 servicings in all which is great as I bought the car with no history. 

Lastly I’ve bought a pair of Zunsport front grills. The condensers are kaput anyway but I’ll get round to them eventually.