What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

5 hours ago, 2001pt said:

Been in for a 10yr service at Brookspeed (great service from them as usual) & she got a clean bill of health 😀

The only thing of note was one seized brake bleed nipple when they did the fluid change.

I plan to get some PlusGas on to it at the weekend, followed by some heat/cooling treatment if that doesn’t work 🤞

They didn’t shift it/replace it when doing the fluid change ?

32 minutes ago, iborguk said:

They didn’t shift it/replace it when doing the fluid change ?

Nope, just advised me of the issue. I’ll take a look for myself at the weekend

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hey-ho. That would have annoyed me.

Guess they didn't want to have to drill it out and fit a timesert....

18 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hey-ho. That would have annoyed me.

It didn’t bother me at the time because I don’t mind getting my hands  dirty with things like this & at least giving it a go.

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Guess they didn't want to have to drill it out and fit a timesert....

But this is probably more like it, wish me luck 😂

Just now, 2001pt said:

It didn’t bother me at the time because I don’t mind getting my hands  dirty with things like this & at least giving it a go.

Yup fair do's.

I had the seized nipple experience recently, took three days of time to release them with penetrating oil but they unseized in the end.

16 minutes ago, 2001pt said:

Use a 6 point deep socket, give you better control over the torque you apply than just a ring spanner and it less likely to burr the hex than a 12 point socket or ring spanner. a flare spanner is a good shout too if you don't have a deep socket.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Use a 6 point deep socket, give you better control over the torque you apply than just a ring spanner and it less likely to burr the hex than a 12 point socket or ring spanner. a flare spanner is a good shout too if you don't have a deep socket.  Good luck!

@2001pt +1 , re good luck.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iborguk said:

@2001pt +1 , re good luck.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Cheers guys 👍

You both got me thinking so I’ve just been out there to take a look and give it a first soak in PlusGas. Thankfully the garage haven’t chewed it up at all so that’s a good start

I’ve got the correct sized 6 point socket too so that’s handy.

I’ve not heard of a flare spanner before so will have to have a google, doesn’t take much for me to add new tools to the kit 😂

• Like 1

Fitted these. So I can finally get the rear toe in spec. Also new eccentric nuts bolts and washers (even though I don’t need them now). Nearly passed out at Portsmouth OPC yesterday when they came back with the quote for 4 nuts, bolts and washers !

https://flic.kr/p/2m9ndBi

4 hours ago, 2001pt said:

Cheers guys 👍

You both got me thinking so I’ve just been out there to take a look and give it a first soak in PlusGas. Thankfully the garage haven’t chewed it up at all so that’s a good start

I’ve not heard of a flare spanner before so will have to have a google, doesn’t take much for me to add new tools to the kit 😂

A ring spanner with part of one flat missing to slot over brake lines or fuel lines to undo unions.  You need a 10 and 12mm (you can get double ended ones) if you want to work on your brake lines at any time.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

Fitted these. So I can finally get the rear toe in spec. Also new eccentric nuts bolts and washers (even though I don’t need them now). Nearly passed out at Portsmouth OPC yesterday when they came back with the quote for 4 nuts, bolts and washers !

https://flic.kr/p/2m9ndBi

The eccentric bolts should have been about £9 each and washers are reusable, so are nuts it you are really being tight and need to save a few pennies.

21 hours ago, 2001pt said:

Cheers guys 👍

We’ll that was easier than I was expecting!

Soaked in PlusGas overnight & some more this morning. Came free with a little persuasion & gradually kept tightening/un-tightening further & further. Happy days 😀  

Edited by 2001pt
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, 2001pt said:

We’ll that was easier than I was expecting!

Soaked in PlusGas overnight & some more this morning. Came free with a little persuasion & gradually kept tightening/un-tightening further & further. Happy days 😀  

Good skills - its an often forgotten thing to take these things slow and the tight/lose approach is often a winner. Some folks cant resist just wading in. 

Result

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Good skills - its an often forgotten thing to take these things slow and the tight/lose approach is often a winner. Some folks cant resist just wading in. 

Result

Taking time out for a coffee is what usually works for me.If I haven’t already screwed up..

35 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Taking time out for a coffee is what usually works for me.If I haven’t already screwed up..

Used to work with an Aussie guy.  While he was here him and a couple of others decided to race bikes.  

I ended up “on the tools” to help keep the bikes running.  Soon after the first race we got a T-shirt made for the Aussie. “this Australian to be used for demolition purposes only”. 

on the back it said “no parts resulting from Aussie handling are to be considered reusable” 

“she’ll be right and a hammer “‘ wasn’t a good mantra. 

Edited by Paul P

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Used to work with an Aussie guy.  While he was here him and a couple of others decided to race bikes.  

I ended up “on the tools” to help keep the bikes running.  Soon after the first race we got a T-shirt made for the Aussie. “this Australian to be used for demolition purposes only”. 

on the back it said “no parts resulting from Aussie handling are to be considered reusable” 

“she’ll be right and a hammer “‘ wasn’t a good mantra. 

They come over to the uk and insist on wearing shorts in the middle of winter 🥶 and they don’t shiver,madness..

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:56 PM, ½cwt said:

The eccentric bolts should have been about £9 each and washers are reusable, so are nuts it you are really being tight and need to save a few pennies.

Yep slightly cheaper than d911 from the OPC but seriously £84.?? For four nuts bolts and washers that are supposed to be stretch so disposable. That’s for the coffin arm ones too.

On the plus side I noticed the company I work for now make(did) the driveshafts so maybe I can get some staff discount.

Another plus was that in testing on the way to work today my 3.2S with a few minimal mods is still quicker than a 2020 S4 Audi. In a straight line anyway 🙂  maybe not off the blocks but we both gave it a thumbs up before we parted 😂

1 minute ago, Buzzlt said:

Yep slightly cheaper than d911 from the OPC but seriously £84.?? For four nuts bolts and washers that are supposed to be stretch so disposable. That’s for the coffin arm ones too.

On the plus side I noticed the company I work for now make(did) the driveshafts so maybe I can get some staff discount.

Another plus was that in testing on the way to work today my 3.2S with a few minimal mods is still quicker than a 2020 S4 Audi. In a straight line anyway 🙂  maybe not off the blocks but we both gave it a thumbs up before we parted 😂

No way are they stretch bolts at only 100Nm (rear slotted bolts) or 120Nm (front plain bolts) on an M12 bolt.  They are however a high tensile and shear steel for the role they perform, certainly not your standard 8.8 or 10.8 off the shelf bolt.  4 bolts for the rear (2 coffin arm and 2 toe link bolts) back in November were £36.40 for rear of mine, where did the other £50 go?

Gave it a bath yesterday & polished the headlights with some G3 compound & a waffle pad. I added some 303 UV protectant to them last time & didn't seem to last very long before they needed polishing again. I note the 303 says to reuse every 3-4 weeks 🤔

Did the left headlight with 303 again & the right with the PTFE wax I'd previously used on the paintwork which also says it offers UV protection. I'll see which comes up best. (& also whether I remember or not to reapply the 303 at recommended intervals).

Got a quote for wheels refurb from Chris who is recommended often on the forum. He sends them to Lepsons. The quote came in at £530.00.

Took the job to a local company who did it for £200. The wheels look perfect.

I know Lepsons have a superb reputation but I'm struggling to imagine what 'better than perfect' looks like.