What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Did my planned transmission oil change. Put the front up on ramps and the rear on stands. G5DRmPK.jpg

Both plugs came out easily. Used Millers TRX Synth and a hand pump off ebay which fitted onto the 'bottles'. Took the opportunity to clean up the aluminium tray. Before:eHB5vLR.jpg

After:

SjuKEq4.jpg

Also cleaned up the diagonal braces whilst I was under the car.

Everything went fine UNTIL the very last bolt, at the front end of one of the diagonal braces, next to the jacking point, which sheared off whilst i was torquing it up! B*st*rd! :vmad:

Now, as per separate thread, trying to figure out what to do. Either use an extractor IF i can jack the car high enough to allow me to see the remaining bolt and get a drill on it. If not i'll have to ask my local indy for help but i know they are snowed under.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, 2001pt said:

Nope, just advised me of the issue. I’ll take a look for myself at the weekend

Hmmm, so how did they bleed that particular caliper? Or have I missed something? Just curious 🙂

4 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Hmmm, so how did they bleed that particular caliper? Or have I missed something? Just curious 🙂

They didn’t entirely, but as there is 2 bleed nipples on the calliper they did what they could & I finished the job off 👍

1 hour ago, 2001pt said:

They didn’t entirely, but as there is 2 bleed nipples on the calliper they did what they could & I finished the job off 👍

👍 That's good then, they done 99% of the job and there shouldn't have been much if any air left in the system and negligible difference in the fluid. Thanks for clarifying 👍

7 hours ago, Gramps said:

👍 That's good then, they done 99% of the job and there shouldn't have been much if any air left in the system and negligible difference in the fluid. Thanks for clarifying 👍

Changing brake fluid isn't like changing engine oil, you don't drain it all out, just flush new through so there is no air ingress :)

Changed my brake fluid after testing.Never changed it myself in the past but noticed the fluid in the lines was in good shape just what was in the reservoir wasn’t.Still a good idea to change it but thought when I test next  to remember that.Or just change every couple of years.

Being buttering Connolly Hide Food into the seats, especially the bolsters,just daubing a load on and leaving for a day or so, (done twice now) it’s amazing how the leather has responded.

17 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Being buttering Connolly Hide Food into the seats, especially the bolsters,just daubing a load on and leaving for a day or so, (done twice now) it’s amazing how the leather has responded.

Placebo?  A couple of upholsterers I speak to say most mass market modern car leather is sealed with anti fade and UV filters and colouring so the feeds like this make no difference, they just need regular cleaning.  Bentley, RR etc at the top end of the market it would make a difference.

29 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Placebo?  A couple of upholsterers I speak to say most mass market modern car leather is sealed with anti fade and UV filters and colouring so the feeds like this make no difference, they just need regular cleaning.  Bentley, RR etc at the top end of the market it would make a difference.

Well the proof is in the pudding!!

• Like 1

Drivers window was playing up, coming down on opening and then going back up again,sprayed through the door handle with plus gas operated copious amount of times and left, all is good now.

6 hours ago, BOB.T said:

Changing brake fluid isn't like changing engine oil, you don't drain it all out, just flush new through so there is no air ingress :)

Doh! You're absolutely right of course. That was what I was missing 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Whilst it's true that modern upholstery leather is 'coated' for durability, protection (e.g. dye transfer from jeans) and colour fastness to light and liquids (and often to hide the cr*p substrate beneath) leather does dry and of course our cars' interiors are subject to more sun than otheres. The surface finish cracks over time (most 986 and 987 seat bolsters will show this) so there is some merit in 'feeding' those areas as the fats used will penetrate and lubricate the leather fibres where the surface is damaged. This will help to maintain softness and durability. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Whilst it's true that modern upholstery leather is 'coated' for durability, protection (e.g. dye transfer from jeans) and colour fastness to light and liquids (and often to hide the cr*p substrate beneath) leather does dry and of course our cars' interiors are subject to more sun than otheres. The surface finish cracks over time (most 986 and 987 seat bolsters will show this) so there is some merit in 'feeding' those areas as the fats used will penetrate and lubricate the leather fibres where the surface is damaged. This will help to maintain softness and durability. 

For sure feeding lightly damaged or cracked areas is useful and I have seen the positive results of that on the seats in my own car.  However if your leather is in good condition there is little point in spending lots of money on special leather feeding products that can't penetrate the coatings on the leather...

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

For sure feeding lightly damaged or cracked areas is useful and I have seen the positive results of that on the seats in my own car.  However if your leather is in good condition there is little point in spending lots of money on special leather feeding products that can't penetrate the coatings on the leather...

Correct.

Picked it up from Tower Porsche after new lower control arms and rear shocks. While they were in there the exhaust gaskets and bolts that were rattling were replaced. They also spotted the noisy startup and found that the water pump ready to let go at any time. So it was a largish bill, but the car is lovely to drive now. Soaks up the London speed bumps and is super planted when accelerating around a corner. It's also makes only the right noises, squeaks and rattles gone.

On holiday to Lake District next Monday and it's going to be a lovely drive up there.

• Like 1

Took “Pete” to Shelsby Walsh to watch the Nostalgia Hill Climb weekend…

I love the sound of a Group B Audi Quattro giving it “the beans”

lovely GT3 RS in the car park too 👍

Edited by Sp1boyo

42 minutes ago, BBB said:

Was that easy to get out @iborguk? My fan makes some odd noises.

Relatively.

I went in via the cabin filter in the frunk, remove that and if you stick your head close with a torch you can see the top of the fan blades. I was then able to get my hand in and feel for the offending intruder and pull it out.

Another approach could be stick a thin enough vacuum cleaner attachment in there.

Or if that is all too hard then it's glove box off and go in that way.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Well not today, maybe tomorrow....coolant puddle under front n\s  So guess it's the front coolant pipes next. Please could somebody point me to a link for or the part numbers. It's too hot to go through the whole PET. The front to back pipes are done so just like my for the front ones now. I know some of you have done them so any tips on where to get a good deal on them?

58 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

The front to back pipes are done so just like my for the front ones now. I know some of you have done them so any tips on where to get a good deal on them?

I did a bit of research a couple of months back and from what others said OPC was cheapest (especially after 10% PCGB discount). If you look on Design911 I think you'll find the full set with part no's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzlt said:

Well not today, maybe tomorrow....coolant puddle under front n\s  So guess it's the front coolant pipes next. Please could somebody point me to a link for or the part numbers. It's too hot to go through the whole PET. The front to back pipes are done so just like my for the front ones now. I know some of you have done them so any tips on where to get a good deal on them?

I looked and decided to give it to someone who was less likely to feck it up. Cost me about £700 all in I think (for reference)

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I looked and decided to give it to someone who was less likely to feck it up. Cost me about £700 all in I think (for reference)