What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

26 minutes ago, phazed said:

Were the slats easy to remove?

Yeah, really easy. They’re just cosmetic pieces of plastic trim that clip on top of another piece of plastic underneath.

Stick your hand through from above, gently prise the rearmost vertical section backwards & up (it’s approx a 1cm lip all the way along) . There’s 3 (or was it 4) clips to release on each one so I just worked left to right. 

The front is just hooked over the underlying plastic, so once the rear is fully released, pull the trim forward and it’ll come off.

As I say, really easy, just be a little gentle as the underlying plastic flexes quite a bit & you don’t want to break that!

45 minutes ago, phazed said:

Were the slats easy to remove?

And if you’re interested, this is what I used, which is the perfect size to get all 4 covered (mark them out before cutting as you need to overlap the narrower sections slightly to fit them all in)

I haven’t a clue about wrapping, never tried it before, but it seemed decent quality & pretty easy to work with.

Although price has jumped from £9.99 when I bought it (which in fairness was August last year and I only just got around to doing it 🤣) so you may find it cheaper elsewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-2080-Black-Matte-Car-Wrap-Vinyl-M12-152x10cm-/123976477077?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

2 hours ago, Patt said:

nice work chap - looks so much better too

2 hours ago, Sammysmiths said:

Much better black. Good job.

I’ve reached my allocation of heart ‘reactions’ today apparently! So a written word of thanks instead, appreciate the feedback, cheers 👍

25 minutes ago, 2001pt said:

And if you’re interested, this is what I used, which is the perfect size to get all 4 covered (mark them out before cutting as you need to overlap the narrower sections slightly to fit them all in)

I haven’t a clue about wrapping, never tried it before, but it seemed decent quality & pretty easy to work with.

Although price has jumped from £9.99 when I bought it (which in fairness was August last year and I only just got around to doing it 🤣) so you may find it cheaper elsewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-2080-Black-Matte-Car-Wrap-Vinyl-M12-152x10cm-/123976477077?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Find you local sign maker, go in the back door and ask for an off cut of black exterior or automotive vinyl.  They chuck small pieces of vinyl away all the time.  May be £5 to their beer fund of even free on a good day.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, Sammysmiths said:

Ive been a busy little boy today, and over the past week. 

Original CDR24 removed and new DD Kenwood fitted. Also added a DAB/FM transmitter, tucked away with a little remote control stuck to the dash; as the DD unit is a very basic one i found in the loft, I tend to listen more to the tunes off my Apple play, through USB.

Also replaced the fan switches as they had gone gummy.

Removed sill protectors and fitted polished metal ones. Old ones were a pig to get off. Porsche use the strongest glue EVERRR!!

Tinted rear lights with fly-eye mesh but i dont like it. Looks too chavvy and Boy racer. Im removing it tomorrow. 

51254458630_fd439e35d3_h.jpg

51252680927_7609f95248_h.jpg

51254156749_d8c7b732f6_h.jpg

51253612038_4c0d253456_h.jpg

51253617193_866030ad17_h.jpg

Where did you get the sill protectors from?

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Find you local sign maker, go in the back door and ask for an off cut of black exterior or automotive vinyl.  They chuck small pieces of vinyl away all the time.  May be £5 to their beer fund of even free on a good day.

I did this when wrapping my wheels - think the guy was confused as he gave me about 10ft x 4ft for £20 👍

I know things are cheaper t'up Norvf, but I legged it before he realised his error.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Propofol said:

Where did you get the sill protectors from?

I bought them off a guy locally who had orignally bought them for his car but then changed his mind. I think he orignally paid about £75 for them but not sure where from. My only issue is the gaps around the edges as they dont sit flush so i fear water ingress could get trapped inbetween. 

13 minutes ago, Sammysmiths said:

I bought them off a guy locally who had orignally bought them for his car but then changed his mind. I think he orignally paid about £75 for them but not sure where from. My only issue is the gaps around the edges as they dont sit flush so i fear water ingress could get trapped inbetween. 

Smidgen of silicone to the gap?

Birthday present arrived 🙌🙌, nothing too drastic, all coming together nicely. Got to PlastiDip the Boxster S to bring that out so it all blends in. If I can find one I might see if I can get a wide LED tail and brake light to fit under the spoiler.

51264836436_3195f8d9e3_z.jpg51265876480_8643d2caea_z.jpg

• Like 1

Spacers turned up as well, so a bit of TLC in the wheel area. Wheel is not the finished article, just gave it a going over to see if it would come up ok. Spotted the drilled discs were a bit bunged up so drilled them out to clear out the crud, pic shows job part done. Also spruced up the wheel arch liners and forward mudguards. PlastiDipped the mudguards after rubbing them down and cleaned and Armoralled the liners, amazing the amount of crud that builds up behind the liners. Washed and brushed the inner wheel arches down as well.51266882066_bc6855ee0f_z.jpg   

51267890365_eedfc51d83_z.jpg%20  

51266115982_01f11a8856_z.jpg

51267588344_9acfd4823d_z.jpg

51266861076_9ae17beec3_z.jpg

51267066763_f39a79fe41_z.jpg

51266882146_71ab4bdf11_z.jpg

51267917825_5c8d2b9488_z.jpg

51266882066_bc6855ee0f_z.jpg

51266881991_9159dea70f_z.jpg

Nice work @Gramps

What size spacers did you get? Are the photos before or after fitting the spacers?

I’m going back and forth on whether to get some, as I’m not sure I’ve got the clearance (even though it seems to have been fine for many other 987.2 owners)

Mine has 19 inch wheels and PASM which I think drops the ride height by 10mm. Not sure if that makes a difference?

1 hour ago, Bayernlarge said:

Nice work @Gramps

What size spacers did you get? Are the photos before or after fitting the spacers?

I’m going back and forth on whether to get some, as I’m not sure I’ve got the clearance (even though it seems to have been fine for many other 987.2 owners)

Mine has 19 inch wheels and PASM which I think drops the ride height by 10mm. Not sure if that makes a difference?

Put spacers on mine 15mm at rear and 7mm at the front. Then lowered the standard suspension with H&R springs -30mm.

No problems and really makes a difference in the appearance of the car.

I have 19" lobster claws fitted.

1 hour ago, Bayernlarge said:

Nice work @Gramps

Morning @Bayernlarge , mine are 19s and I also have PASM, which as you say drops it by 10mm. But I was more concerned with where the wheels would sit with spacers on. 15 rear and 7 front appears a popular option but I thought that'd bring the wheels out too far, but each to their own of course. So I settled for 7 on the rear and 5 on the front. Not a huge difference but gives it just that little bit better stance. Here are a few pics of before and after on front and rear and current side profile. Hope that helps.  

Front without

51266714727_6f58ba2d8f_z.jpg

Front with

51266714727_6f58ba2d8f_z.jpg

Rear without

51268184429_2bd11c7a3f_z.jpg

Rear with

51268486045_e2fbc557ae_z.jpg

Current side profile51268184559_7bb08f979a_z.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gramps said:

PlastiDipped the mudguards

Interesting idea. I've got some Matt Black and Satin lacquer in the garage; might give them a try. I use Dressle on the liners which brings them up nicely.

Just been for a blast to Porsche Silverstone to pick up a couple of arb bushes. 

Had my 3 yr old daughter with me who loves the Boxster, roof up on the way there as a little chilly for her but she wanted the roof down for the trip home.  She loved that for the first 10 minutes then promptly fell asleep until we got home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 987RG said:

Just been for a blast to Porsche Silverstone to pick up a couple of arb bushes. 

Had my 3 yr old daughter with me who loves the Boxster, roof up on the way there as a little chilly for her but she wanted the roof down for the trip home.  She loved that for the first 10 minutes then promptly fell asleep until we got home.

Both my son and daughter both fell asleep whenever I took them out on a back seat on a pushbike, I bought a bike trailer and that worked too.....now they are 12 and 14 neither seem to sleep in the boxster roof up or down.....though the 12 year old daughter is rarely visible from the outside - so now I pick her up from school roof down and music up! 

My other daughter is also 12, complete opposite to the 3 year old, likes the Boxster but would rather be dropped off/picked up in my other car or the wife’s, much less conspicuous!!

May have to follow your example and make a bit more noise at school pick up, get her properly embarrassed😂

6 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

@Gramps Now you’ve fitted and seen 5 and 7mm would you go wider to 7 and 15mm?

@Bayernlarge no, I'm happy with the 5s & 7s. In my younger days I'd maybe have gone wider I'm happy to have that tad wider stance and not look too boy racerish (at my age), as I said before it's all down to personal preference. I believe the car could easily have taken 7s and 15s  so that would not appear to be an issue. Too wide spacers can affect the bearings over time as they are obviously under more stress, indeed my wifes car has quite wide spacers (we bought the car with them already on) and having done just 23k miles it received a wheel bearing advisory on it's last MoT. Couldn't say it is def down to the spacers but it is always at the back of my mind. I believe Porsche offer 5s as a factory option so that would appear to be safe. 🙂

• Like 1