What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

2 hours ago, Medic-one said:

These were taken not long after we got there, a bit early. I'd say there were about 16 to 18 cars in the end. 

Still some way off a full house, I'm sure. I imagine their business model anticipates much better attendance. I love cinema & I've never done drive in - at least you get a comfy seat.

Over the last couple of days got a few jobs out the way.

Firstly I debadged the rear of the car. I know this  can polarise people a bit but i prefer the clean look & not getting my sheepskin mitt taken apart by the "Boxster" logo on the boot lid. 

All that & it's a base car but some previous owner decided it ought to have an "S" after the Boxster, even though it isn't. This in particular has always irked me coming from owning a MR2 mk3 with a 2zz engine swap. Going from a wolf in sheep's clothing to a tw*t in wolf's clothing.

The "S" had obviously been lifting & the previous owner had glued the tail of the S down with something hideous & hard 😡. Big thanks to whoever posted on another thread to use WD40 👍. Strong sunshine, said WD40 & elbow grease (well, thumb grease) & thumb nail finally got rid of that after about 20 mins effort.

Zunsport grilles fitted.

Car washed, dressed with Poorboys Black Hole & waxed after. Car looks tremendous, especially with its newly clean bottom 😊.

Finally replaced the front bumper clips with a new set after previous bumper removal revealed them to be rusting quickly.

Jobs on the list; clean the interior, have the boot lid detailed (can still see some Boxster S marking when the light is right/wrong), couple of tweaks on the sound system. Oh, & an exhaust some time before MOT in October.

Ive owned the car 2 weeks now but for the first week, it constantly rained so not much i could do.

Now the sun is out i have done the following;

Full interior valet including clean, dye, condition the Ocean blue seats.

Re-waterproofed the roof.

Fixed the roof elastic common problem so side bead sits within the plastic trim. 

Full external wash and polish.

Checked all rear drain holes clear.

Removed Boxster badge and replaced with PORSCHE lettering. Took 5 minutes to remove old badge in the sun.

Removed A'pillar trim to diagnose FM reception problem. Still unsolved!!

DROVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!! 

20 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

Over the last couple of days got a few jobs out the way.

Firstly I debadged the rear of the car. I know this  can polarise people a bit but i prefer the clean look & not getting my sheepskin mitt taken apart by the "Boxster" logo on the boot lid. 

All that & it's a base car but some previous owner decided it ought to have an "S" after the Boxster, even though it isn't. This in particular has always irked me coming from owning a MR2 mk3 with a 2zz engine swap. Going from a wolf in sheep's clothing to a tw*t in wolf's clothing.

The "S" had obviously been lifting & the previous owner had glued the tail of the S down with something hideous & hard 😡. Big thanks to whoever posted on another thread to use WD40 👍. Strong sunshine, said WD40 & elbow grease (well, thumb grease) & thumb nail finally got rid of that after about 20 mins effort.

Zunsport grilles fitted.

Car washed, dressed with Poorboys Black Hole & waxed after. Car looks tremendous, especially with its newly clean bottom 😊.

Finally replaced the front bumper clips with a new set after previous bumper removal revealed them to be rusting quickly.

Jobs on the list; clean the interior, have the boot lid detailed (can still see some Boxster S marking when the light is right/wrong), couple of tweaks on the sound system. Oh, & an exhaust some time before MOT in October.

I have a da polisher you can borrow. 

• Like 1

Taxed it. Got it aligned and then used it for the first time in about a year 😊

Guys at ALine (Dudley) did a fantastic job of the 4 wheel alignment, explaining everything they did and it now drives like a totally different car.

Really happy to have her back on the road after a few big DIY jobs completed over the past few months;

Front and rear suspension refresh.

Lowered 30mm with H&R springs with new tops and bump mounts

Gearbox oil change

DesignTek valved exhaust (not switching yet, so in 'loud' mode all the time, but WOW what a great sound!

New clutch and DMF

New slave cylinder

Quick wash

m8BF4yL.jpgqfpjATQ.jpgOj7X4VQ.jpgFtj6rIY.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger C said:

Electrical contact cleaner and a microfibre cloth, took about 10 minutes.

Fab - been looking at mine and thinking it's about time they were tackled.

Had a slow drive to the hospital with the good lady, a slow and reserved trip back, hood up and air con on.  Dropped the good lady home, put the top down and thrashed around some lanes for 45 minutes.

Did the dreaded door lock mechanism yesterday by following the write up by Jonttt. 
if you are going to do this I suggest you read his blog and then read it a couple of times more. It relatively straight forward but fiddly especially getting the door lock shaft into the hole (ooh errr missus). The tip about the lock being the same as a MK5 golf is correct and will save you a bundle of cash.

i have also had the front bumper and bonnet re-sprayed because of stone chips. This was done locally at a cost of £750. Also had two front p zero’s fitted and a four wheel tracking done. Hopefully that it for now.
Ken.

I though it was warm enough to put the summer tyres back on now,  as we have gone 5 days without am morning frost?  
But I also managed to push the door unlock button into the dashboard, so guess I'll be spending the afternoon trying to work out how to get it back in place.🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, AdeH said:

I though it was warm enough to put the summer tyres back on now,  as we have gone 5 days without am morning frost?  
But I also managed to push the door unlock button into the dashboard, so guess I'll be spending the afternoon trying to work out how to get it back in place.🤦‍♂️

If its a 987 its dead easy. The trim around it just pops off :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MickH said:

If its a 987 its dead easy. The trim around it just pops off :)

Thanks for the tip!, yes a 987 and it did indeed pop straight off.. 5 minutes of fiddling to get it back out of the dashboard and jobs all done!

• Like 1

Fixed a grating noise i've had for a while from driver's side rear wheel. Though it might be the disc rubbing on the backing plate or a stone stuck between them but, having removed the disc, it turned out to be one of the handbrake shoes rubbing. Backed the shoes off a bit and all good now. 

Also fitted a new Yuasa YBX3110 battery as i had problems with the previous Exide and my CTEK was showing an error for it being sulphated.

• Like 1

I washed the car, and like three hours later it looked horrific again with the pollen in the air. Black car...

I also got, for the third time, "check engine oil" warning with the measurement indicating the car has been overfilled. Should I be concerned, the dealer who sold the car did the oil change and I could have them rework it.

4 hours ago, Finbox said:

I washed the car, and like three hours later it looked horrific again with the pollen in the air. Black car...

I also got, for the third time, "check engine oil" warning with the measurement indicating the car has been overfilled. Should I be concerned, the dealer who sold the car did the oil change and I could have them rework it.

After 3 warnings the car is trying to tell you something - I think I would be inclined to get it looked at if it were me - if nothing else then for peace of mind.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul P said:

After 3 warnings the car is trying to tell you something - I think I would be inclined to get it looked at if it were me - if nothing else then for peace of mind.

Yes, I think the same way. Called the dealer, they were apologetic and will take the car in this afternoon already to fix it.

While waiting for the parts to fix the roof I have done some leather work (ooer) to the drivers bolster and handbrake, inspired by @iborguk

handbrake before

99p1nSO.jpg

during

IsKWThj.jpg

after

udMx5zo.jpg

Bolster after

ye9gW1m.jpg

Colour lock kit seems to give good results?

• Like 2