What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

I collected my car from the bodyshop this afternoon. Very happy, all ship shape & Bristol fashion. Next stop Precision Porsche on Monday. Lots of lovely new parts to be fitted. I'm going to enjoy this motor when summer starts.

29 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I collected my car from the bodyshop this afternoon. Very happy, all ship shape & Bristol fashion. Next stop Precision Porsche on Monday. Lots of lovely new parts to be fitted. I'm going to enjoy this motor when summer starts.

Mine is in for painting,what did you need to get done? 

51 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Mine is in for painting,what did you need to get done? 

There was some minor damage to the back bumper when I got the car. I also grazed the front bumper on the first day of ownership. I couldn't find reverse & grounded against a kerb. Now both ends of the car are good as new. They were insignificant blemishes but I my eye was drawn to them. Now perfect.

Hope you get such a pleasing result. What are you having done?

6 hours ago, McDonald said:

There was some minor damage to the back bumper when I got the car. I also grazed the front bumper on the first day of ownership. I couldn't find reverse & grounded against a kerb. Now both ends of the car are good as new. They were insignificant blemishes but I my eye was drawn to them. Now perfect.

Hope you get such a pleasing result. What are you having done?

Similar work,damaged the rear bumper myself so that needs doing,thought might as well get the road rash and stone chips sorted.They said silver is difficult to match but fingers crossed 🤞 

3 hours ago, Liberty said:

Similar work,damaged the rear bumper myself so that needs doing,thought might as well get the road rash and stone chips sorted.They said silver is difficult to match but fingers crossed 🤞 

The plastic of the bumpers never quite matches the metal panels IMO. The lovely curves on these cars reflect the light in such interesting ways that the colour seems to change from one angle to the next. My Seal Grey car looks great now, hope your Silver will too.

3 hours ago, Liberty said:

Had the front PU resprayed, had a split in the paint from a minor nudge the PO had given it and it wasn't a good match in colour on my Arctic Silver 986.  Now a good match.  I had it done by a guy who does custom and restoration paint, not accident repairs so his shop is less busy getting cars back on the road in thin margins from insurers but still a fair price at £200 plus VAT.

37 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Had the front PU resprayed, had a split in the paint from a minor nudge the PO had given it and it wasn't a good match in colour on my Arctic Silver 986.  Now a good match.  I had it done by a guy who does custom and restoration paint, not accident repairs so his shop is less busy getting cars back on the road in thin margins from insurers but still a fair price at £200 plus VAT.

I've decoded PO (previous owner) but what is the PU? Panel underneath?

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I've decoded PO (previous owner) but what is the PU? Panel underneath?

Polyurethane - the outer skin of the front and rear bumpers are made from it on most cars.  You do need to know that one to get it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Given I've just been quoted £570 to get the front bumper painted I'd say very fair.

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Polyurethane - the outer skin of the front and rear bumpers are made from it on most cars.  You do need to know that one to get it!

I'd never heard of a PU till i bought a Porsche!

Fought with the car yet again but in the end managed to fit front coffin arms, tuning forks and dampers etc plus joined everything up to the hub carriers. Got to adjust the position of the top mounts tomorrow (if i can) as the marks i made on the nuts/body are not lining up. Then torque everything up. That will just leave me to refit calipers, brake shields, new discs and pads. Then clean, treat with Dressle and refit the arch liners, undertray, wheels and test drive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minimoog said:

Given I've just been quoted £570 to get the front bumper painted I'd say very fair.

I did strip mine off the car for them and took out the grilles etc. and left it with them for a week, but unless they are blending in the whole of the front of your car I'd say £570 is rather steep.

I’ve got round to removing the rear bumper to reset the parking sensors as a couple are pushed in. I had to repair the button for the manual activation of the rear spoiler first.

Its a pretty easy job if anyone’s else’s doesn’t work. Once you’ve got the switch to bits some contact cleaner should do the trick.

Had planned a hoover and wash/wax yesterday but the weather was terrible. Managed to at least hoover all the cr*p from the roof/clamshell and hoover the carpets before the heavens opened again!

So Saturday I was feeling pretty pleased with myself having swapped out rusty wheel bolts for shiny new ones with 7mm spacers. Also cleaned and sealed the wheel barrels and scrubbed the wheel arches for good measure. I even managed to get my bike in the car so I could drive the Boxster to Birmingham for a cycle event on Sunday 😀

By 8:30 am Sunday I was feeling like an idiot having caught the roof latch when putting the hood down to get the bike out of the car and popping the rod ends. Cunning conversion of electric roof to manual being the result 🤬

At least I didn’t get wet cycling 🤨

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, nixster said:

swapped out rusty wheel bolts for shiny new ones with 7mm spacers.

Did you use longer bolts for the 7mm spacers or standard length? I have a pair waiting to go on...

3 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Did you use longer bolts for the 7mm spacers or standard length? I have a pair waiting to go on...

Longer bolts, came as a kit with the spacers from TWD on eBay. They are bright coated so hopefully will stay rust free. 

Two easy and satisfying jobs today.

1. Fitted leaf/debris guards over the rear drain holes (987 561 487 00) £11.25 each. They just push in and reduce the chance of big stuff blocking the holes

2. Repaired the right-hand cup holder as the little flap that holds the cup didn’t have a spring, so it stayed in the down position and stopped the holder going back into the dash. Repair kit (997 552 905 00) £6.31 has a new flap and two springs. The whole cup holder assembly comes out easily (open glovebox, look up, remove two hex head screws) and I used the left side as a guide. The flap pings out of one side, spring slides over the shaft and hooks over the retainer and the flap just pushes back in. A bit fiddly due to the small size of the parts, but otherwise easy.

And just for cosmic balance in the Universe, my right hand rain guard pinged off and got slightly munched by the roof mechanism. Another call to Chester Porsche parts department :(

Car in for MoT today, but disappointing as paddef with one advisory, had it checked over at a different garage who didn't raise any potential advisories. Advisory is "Rear offside direction indicator slightly discoloured (4.4.3 (a)). Annoying as I make a point of keeping on top of things, can't remember last time any of my cars failed or had advisories.  

Anyway had brake fluid change and gear box (manual) oil changed as well. Get car back tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Remodot said:

Car in for MoT today, but disappointing as paddef with one advisory, had it checked over at a different garage who didn't raise any potential advisories. Advisory is "Rear offside direction indicator slightly discoloured (4.4.3 (a)). Annoying as I make a point of keeping on top of things, can't remember last time any of my cars failed or had advisories.  

Anyway had brake fluid change and gear box (manual) oil changed as well. Get car back tomorrow. 

No one reviewing the car's history will be concerned by an advisory like that. It doesn't suggest that your car is poorly maintained, just that it isn't new.

Disovered yesterday that the replacement battery i received virtually a year ago after a warranty claim appears to have gone duff. Exactly the same issue as last time; CTEK throws a red light and testing with a multimeter shows a voltage below 12. Looks like another call to Tayna.

Nevertheless i was able to start the car and take it for a short test drive after completing my front suspension refresh. Tracking is obviously slightly off but nevertheless the front end really feels alot tighter and now i have a point of comparison i can see that it was quite 'crashy' before. 

Now need a rest before i consider whether to refesh the rear.

Here in France my UK new 987.1 3.2 S has passed it's second two year Contrôle Technique the French MOT with a clean sheet and many compliments from the tester so I'm chuffed to bits.

It was worth getting it on stands and wheels off cleaning everything and drilling the discs a 16 year old car near mint condition.