What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

21 hours ago, Liberty said:

One side is okay so my guess is alignment.Why would it pop out one side but not the other?Check the ball joint on the side that pops out.

Actually try this..Take the arm of and leave the ball joint in place.Then screw the arm back in until the hole at the other end lines up and connect that end.

good luck 

Many thanks! I took a look today and the adjusted the pushrods a bit and now the roof has been functioning fine all day. The closing lever is quite stiff, so I guess I have to adjust still a bit to make the roof come closer. Or does it make a difference?

And to everyone, a great forum you have - very happy to have found this place! I'm from a BBS/forum generation and just like forums more than social media. I'm from Finland so local forums are too small, but somehow I always end up in the UK based forums rather than the US ones. ;)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Absolutely, it's only like a day at a spa but you keep the lights for ever, and have a spare set, bargin👍

Admirable man-maths. And the lights do look great.

• Haha 1

First full day of ownership, after picking her up yesterday afternoon.

I've tried and see if she actually fits in my narrow garage, which fortunately she does! 

20210515-134507.jpg 

And I've taken the rear badge off, in preparation for the new PORSCHE letters I wanna put on the back :

20210515-132437.jpg 

20210515-144714.jpg 

4 hours ago, Medic-one said:

I've tried and see if she actually fits in my narrow garage, which fortunately she does! 

20210515-134507.jpg 

And I've taken the rear badge off, in preparation for the new PORSCHE letters I wanna put on the back :

20210515-132437.jpg 

20210515-144714.jpg 

I changed the colour on mine today and recommend the black lettering against the white paint 👍

51180216657_23994af6e8_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, entdgc said:

@Medic-one Small steps... any Porsche paranoia about premature failures kicking in yet? 😄

There was some white smoke from the exhaust when i started it today to move it about on the drive, but I'm sure i read somewhere on here that's quite normal (i hope)... 😄 

18 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

There was some white smoke from the exhaust when i started it today to move it about on the drive, but I'm sure i read somewhere on here that's quite normal (i hope)... 😄 

White smoke! 😱 You have bought a wrongun! Hehe no quite normal. Probably wont happen every time - mine is worse if it has been sitting or after a short journey or just a potter - give it a blast and it doesn't happen. These cars do respond well to an Italian Tune Up so enjoy giving it a 'good thrashing'!

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, Medic-one said:

20210515-134507.jpg 

20210515-132437.jpg 

20210515-144714.jpg 

Are you going to keep the boxster s badge? I’d be interested in buying it off you if it came off in one piece. 

With heart in mouth cracked on with attempt to remove seized coffin arm bolt. Decided hacksaw was not sufficient so, having ordered some Bosch blades per recommendation on here, set to with reciprocating saw. Put a piece of metal behind the arm to protect pipes and took it very carefully, so as not to risk damaging the subframe. And hey presto: AssQipS.jpg

PB0qqj1.jpg

Have to say it was alot less difficult or 'dangerous' than i had feared. I was aware of the 'lip' behind the arm but don't think i got close to it. Taking off the drop link on the other side allowed me to move the arb out of the way, which meant i could easily get the saw in position and, by moving the arm to different positions i could cut at various angles till the bolt/bush sheared. No worries now if the passenger side arm is similarly seized. 

Next, took the old damper/spring/ top mount apart so i can re-use a couple of washers amd prepped the new set up.

And, finally for today, cleaned up the hub carrier and brake disc backing plate with some Raceglaze Alubrite, wire wool and wire brushes.kf94NHo.jpg

Anyone know whether the sensor cable shown can be removed, to allow cleaning of that area, without being a pig to reconnect to whatever's on the other side?

May give the backing plate a coat of Hammerite Silver but i'm not overkeen on the colour which is very bright compared to standard aluminium. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Edited by red rocket
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, red rocket said:

With heart in mouth cracked on with attempt to remove seized coffin arm bolt. Decided hacksaw was not sufficient so, having ordered some Bosch blades per recommendation on here, set to with reciprocal saw. Put a piece of metal behind the arm to protect pipes and took it very carefully, so as not to risk damaging the subframe. And hey presto: AssQipS.jpg

PB0qqj1.jpg

Have to say it was alot less difficult or 'dangerous' than i had feared. I was aware of the 'lip' behind the arm but don't think i got close to it. Taking off the drop link on the other side allowed me to move the arb out of the way, which meant i could easily get the saw in position and, by moving the arm to different positions i could cut at various angles till the bolt/bush sheared. No worries now if the passenger side arm is similarly seized. 

Next, took the old damper/spring/ top mount apart so i can re-use a couple of washers amd prepped the new set up.

And, finally for today, cleaned up the hub carrier and brake disc backing plate with some Raceglaze Alubrite, wire wool and wire brushes.kf94NHo.jpg

Anyone know whether the sensor cable shown can be removed, to allow cleaning of that area, without being a pig to reconnect to whatever's on the other side?

May give the backing plate a coat of Hammerite Silver but i'm not overkeen on the colour which is very bright compared to standard aluminium. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Heart in mouth ... but good job!

The sensor cable should just be the speed sensor so it should just be a hole through so that it can "read" the speed of the rotating hub.  

7 minutes ago, andy340r said:

Heart in mouth ... but good job!

The sensor cable should just be the speed sensor so it should just be a hole through so that it can "read" the speed of the rotating hub.  

OK thanks!

45 minutes ago, red rocket said:

OK thanks!

Make sure you have another one ligned up as they can seize in and you can end up destroying it getting it out, if all is working leave alone

13 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Make sure you have another one ligned up as they can seize in and you can end up destroying it getting it out, if all is working leave alone

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. In that case i'll leave it.....had enough of things seizing! 

3 hours ago, red rocket said:

Fancy floor, pics and badges on the wall....you're really getting into it now!

Yea I didn't like the bare walls so I've put up some photo's of previously owned cars, and I'd also put some car badges of current and previous cars along that cable runner on the wall, so adding the Boxster logo just seemed right 😄 

20210515-140139.jpg 

20210516-145954.jpg

Fitted new nearside tuning fork and coffin arm. Used some Optimoly to help slide the fork into the chassis and as anti-seize on the bolts. 

Removed driver's side caliper after a  hell of alot of effort to eventually get the pads out. Had to pry one of them out from the back end against the disc hat as it was so stuck. Thinking of adopting 'seize the day' as my motto! Then replaced the track rod end.

Have decided to titivate things whilst i have access and everythings disconnected. Painted the nearside disc backing plate and will do other side in due course2ro98gZ.jpg

Painted all the small bolts from both sides which hold plates and sensors in place on the hub carrierHVaewhJ.jpg

Painted the bracket that hold the brake line to hub carrier

Njy7zLk.jpg

And finally, having found out a new brake pad retaining kit, including spring clips would cost £58 even from OPC :o, decided to use a multi-tool to grind off the corrosionJY3y9zc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Medic-one said:

And after seeing the Porsche spoiler sticker I've decided to give that a go as well, and quite like it, so think that's staying for now.

I like that too. I fancy one but it's a bit moot given i'd never see it!