What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 5/4/2021 at 12:06 PM, EVO Chris said:

I removed my year old 200cel sports manifolds from my 987.2 this weekend and put the original set back on, with the newly fitted Carnewal rear box it was just a tad to loud for my liking and the early morning neighbourhood, my conscious got the better of me.... manifolds now for sale in the for sale section. :) 

Hi @EVOChris. I had a few minor issues with seized and rusted bolts on the left cat to rear union, the rear oxygen sensor on the right did not  have enough slack to connect to the new cat due to the angle of the extender so I had to put the hood into service mode so I could access the retaining clip (zip tie) to release the sensor wiring to create more slack, and as you are aware there is a bolt on either side that sits right behind the middle pipe which makes it a real bummer to fit, but got there eventually. Really happy with the new manifolds. Notice the difference more now after doing a 1200 mile/32.5mpg Wales road trip last week. With PSE off it's whisper quiet when poodling around  but with a subtle little burble to it, but give it a heavier right foot and it comes alive with a beautiful howl between about 3.5-4.5k, overtook a lorry under a wide bridge and the noise was really nice. With PSE on it's all I wanted. You get a lovely burble when you throttle off and a nice beefy sound when  giving it some. Been trying to find a way to get a good recording of the sound but my new dash cam doesn't quite catch it, nor does my phone. Will find a way somehow and post it up when I do 🙂

Just now, Gramps said:

Hi @EVOChris. I had a few minor issues with seized and rusted bolts on the left cat to rear union, the rear oxygen sensor on the right did not  have enough slack to connect to the new cat due to the angle of the extender so I had to put the hood into service mode so I could access the retaining clip (zip tie) to release the sensor wiring to create more slack, and as you are aware there is a bolt on either side that sits right behind the middle pipe which makes it a real bummer to fit, but got there eventually. Really happy with the new manifolds. Notice the difference more now after doing a 1200 mile/32.5mpg Wales road trip last week. With PSE off it's whisper quiet when poodling around  but with a subtle little burble to it, but give it a heavier right foot and it comes alive with a beautiful howl between about 3.5-4.5k, overtook a lorry under a wide bridge and the noise was really nice. With PSE on it's all I wanted. You get a lovely burble when you throttle off and a nice beefy sound when  giving it some. Been trying to find a way to get a good recording of the sound but my new dash cam doesn't quite catch it, nor does my phone. Will find a way somehow and post it up when I do 🙂

@EVO Chris

On 6/27/2021 at 1:01 AM, Gramps said:

Excellent news, and really pleased you like the sound, I reckon I would have left them in place if I had PSE fitted. Good MPG too for the Wales trip, well happy for you and great job.

Got the (new to me) Revolution Sport exhaust fitted today. Sounds pretty much stock until you give it the beans.

Revving at standstill seems soooo much louder than under load. Not sure it would pass any trackday dB levels at that (should I ever take the plunge).

So far really pleased with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

Excellent news, and really pleased you like the sound, I reckon I would have left them in place if I had PSE fitted. Good MPG too for the Wales trip, well happy for you and great job.

👍 I can see how it might have sounded a bit too much early morning starting it in your garage with your Carnewal mod as well, it must have amplified it quite a bit, even with the sound deadening carpet 😉. I'm amazed how quiet it can be without PSE, really nice to be able to switch between the modes to suit the mood (or other half if she happens to be in the car 😉). Thanks again Chris  👍

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

32.5mpg I could not get that even if I was towed!! Must have a very light right foot!!

It got up to 35.5 heading from London till I got near Wales. Took the A roads and enjoyed the ride, enjoying the theatre of the exhaust when I could. But got stuck in traffic jams here and there, especially M5 and Bridgwater 🙄. So 32.5 overall was excellent for a 3.4L 333HP  motor, beats the wifes's Jimny, only got 31 out of that 😄 

Ever since I have bought my 3.2s last October, it's had a tizzing noise coming from the exhaust, just a light sound of items vibrating together. After a minute or so it disapears.

I was having a poke around the rear and noticed the braided vacuum line to the sports exhaust actuator was a bit close to the corrugated exhaust support. wobbled it and there was my noise.

There is/was a small metal clip that had corroded away that clipped the braided line to a bracket coming off the rear anti roll bar. A quick 30 seconds with a cable tie sorted it. The other side was exactly the same.

All quiet now, amazing the silly stuff that makes a noise that uou put up with!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gillbe said:

Off to FCM alignment in Bristol - see if can get rid of skipping feeling from rear at 30 on what look like smooth roads

After an hour with Lee at FCM, all sorted - corners better, no more "skipping", set up for w/end fun.

https://i.imgur.com/dszjAO7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6us6B0A.jpg

https://imgur.com/6us6B0A

[Imgur](https://imgur.com/6us6B0A)

Edited by gillbe
pic links

Big shout out to Chris @1/2cwt (sorry, cannot figure out the 1/2 sign) for all his help, support and knowledge yesterday working on my car.

We changed the rear discs, pads and sensors along with replacing the spark plugs and coil packs.  All was going pretty smoothly until we hit one very stubborn spark plug. Thanks to Chris' perseverance that came out too eventually, not sure why it was stuck in but won't question that as all is fine!!

Once all back together we went for a test drive and also swapped cars for a comparison between Chris' 986S and my 987 2.7.

All in all a great day of working on the car with a quick drive!

Many thanks Chris, really appreciate your time, knowledge and great company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 987RG said:

Big shout out to Chris @1/2cwt (sorry, cannot figure out the 1/2 sign) for all his help, support and knowledge yesterday working on my car.

We changed the rear discs, pads and sensors along with replacing the spark plugs and coil packs.  All was going pretty smoothly until we hit one very stubborn spark plug. Thanks to Chris' perseverance that came out too eventually, not sure why it was stuck in but won't question that as all is fine!!

Once all back together we went for a test drive and also swapped cars for a comparison between Chris' 986S and my 987 2.7.

All in all a great day of working on the car with a quick drive!

Many thanks Chris, really appreciate your time, knowledge and great company.

That’s why when I work on other folks Boxster i always say  when asked , how long? The reply is it should take ..x but however!!!

Went up to the Scottish Borders via the Dales for a few days with a few like minded enthusiasts/nutters!! And had a rare old time, and no Steak and Custard in sight!!!

• Like 1

I have to park the car for a month, and I'm not really sure about how good the battery is. Can I just leave the bonnet open (meaning just pressing the open button on the remote) and then lock the car, making sure I can jump start if the battery is dead? My question is, can I lock the car with the bonnet open?

Went for a drive too, these warm nights are just great for driving.

42p373S - Imgur.jpg

If you can get yourself a battery conditioner. ( Ctek is popular - other brands are available )

you may have issue with the car locking if it thinks the bonnet is open so you may need to fake the mechanism into thinking it’s shut by using a screwdriver. Another method is to unbolt the bonnet side of the lock and essentially “lock” that part leaving the bonnet free to open 

if you have no choice then you have to do your best but if at all possible a conditioner connected directly to the battery or plugged into a ciggy lighter socket is you best bet. 

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately the garage that I use does not have power outlets, so trickle charger is not possible. I store car for winter elsewhere and there I will have a socket and can use the charger. 

I thought the car locked even though it beeped (and the bonnet was open), I need to check that. 

If it’s garaged then how about connecting up some decent connectors to the battery and running the lead up through the scuttle.  Leads need to be good enough for you to connected a battery to get the bonnet open, then you could jump it as normal. 

if not there the emergency tab in the fuse box that worked for me (well for the supplying dealer ) but others struggl. Or take the time to find reallocate and check the cable release mechanism 

doesn’t sound like an easy win 

I just checked and the car is locked with the bonnet slightly open, I will leave it like that. In theory now anyone could open the bonnet, but this is a well monitored private garage so I'm sure it will be fine. If the battery is dead when I come back, I can jump the battery. 

Thanks again for your help Paul.

Edited by Finbox

2 minutes ago, Finbox said:

I just checked and the car is locked with the bonnet slightly open, I will leave it like that. In theory now anyone could open the bonnet, but this is a well monitored private garage so I'm sure it will be fine. If the battery is dead when I come back, I can jump the battery. 

Thanks again for your help Paul.

Always leave mine doors locked bonnet open and battery disconnected. In a safe area. No problems so far other than the usual.PSM failure message and xlcycking the windows.