What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 minute ago, Buzzlt said:

Always leave mine doors locked bonnet open and battery disconnected. In a safe area. No problems so far other than the usual.PSM failure message and xlcycking the windows.

Ok so yes the cat jumped on my lap but how can cycling be predicted to that. Better watch the tour after the GP !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bally4563 said:

That’s why when I work on other folks Boxster i always say  when asked , how long? The reply is it should take ..x but however!!!

Oh, there was a lot of chat, a few cups of coffee and a long lunch thrown in.  All very social. Wouldn't make much running a workshop commercially at that pace!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I’ve got the same style wheels on my recently acquired 987.1, do you know if yours are Porsche or aftermarket?

Cheers

Rory

27 minutes ago, RoryD said:

I’ve got the same style wheels on my recently acquired 987.1, do you know if yours are Porsche or aftermarket?

Cheers

Rory

Hi Rory,

Porsche Turbo II’s on mine , I think the part number is 99736215702.

There are some Turbo-a-like aftermarkets around

Enjoy the car.

Cheers

24 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hi Rory,

Porsche Turbo II’s on mine , I think the part number is 99736215702.

There are some Turbo-a-like aftermarkets around

Enjoy the car.

Cheers

Thanks - I’ll check and see if mine are genuine.

Today I wanted to see if my jet would fit in the car, doesn't go in the trunk but fits nicely in the frunk! 

iTtt42j.jpg

There was slightly more room after an(other) unsuccessful sortie! 

8SHvyTw.jpg

Currently sat holding it together waiting for the glue to set, again! 

:D

• Haha 1

Weather looked ok this afternoon, so I thought I would swap the drive belt for the new one I had ordereda few days ago plus a  new set set of plugs.

Although my Cayman 987.2 is a late 2010 example it has only just hit 25,000 miles with a full OPC service history, so it's arguable if either were strictly required. For £16 a new Gates drive belt was a no brainer and having read reports of aged plugs seizing in the alloy head, thought I might as well swap just in case. It's just the way I look after my cars, prevention is better than rushing to fix something thas been neglected because the service schedule says its 'OK for now'.

Took the belt off, looked pristine, which was just as well as the replacement was about a foot longer than the original. meaning the original is back on.

Plugs came out like a dream, no sign of corrosion, in fact the aperture in the head was like new, super shiny as though it has been machined yesterday! Was a bit of a fiddle, not a lot of room TBH.

Installed the new plugs with a smidgen of silicone grease on the threads, so they should be good for another 40,000 miles.

As an aside, I know there are two schools of thought about buying very low mileage cars, which I totally get. On the other hand, stuff I have replaced has generally been not too bad to sort, with less corrosion than one might anticipate on a 10 year old car. Having said that, I haven't touched the ARB links yet.....

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1

Been in for a 10yr service at Brookspeed (great service from them as usual) & she got a clean bill of health 😀

The only thing of note was one seized brake bleed nipple when they did the fluid change.

I plan to get some PlusGas on to it at the weekend, followed by some heat/cooling treatment if that doesn’t work 🤞