What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Finally got round to swapping out the Boxster logo on the boot lid with some Porsche lettering.  The old badge was looking a bit jaded, I removed it, DA polished the body and left it de-badged for a bit. Picked up a cheap Porsche letter set (including templated).  I eyeballed the height but think I like the end result:

IMG_1012.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 944GS said:

Far too much rain to be out driving today so finally took some time to replace the heater switches I’ve had sitting here for a while, what a difference for £32!

F6372CC1-59A7-48EB-869A-830E0B37DAB2

6BB7954A-0E08-44D6-A131-A41CBECB5F4D

C11B9977-2E62-4450-BEA7-05EE94FB0146

This is such a satisfying fix - was one of the first things I did when I bought mine.

18 hours ago, fewtrees said:

@Jonttt Do you have photos or a writeup? I've done Oulton on a bike plenty of times and found every session red-flagged so it became a bit deflating. Does this happen on a car trackday?

I did not take any pictures but there may be some on the PCGB forum………there was only one yellow flag (when a 987.2 boxster “track car” spun and took some damage) and closed circuit for about 15 min when the wind really got gusty……..not as busy on track as the Spring event but still some nice metal, a lot more 718 GT4’s than I’ve seen before and a lovely shark blue 992 GT3………one of the guys I was with also saw his old 997.2 GT3 RS (one of I think 4 paint to sample black cars in the UK, yes black was PTS on the RS’s lol)…..was also nice to see some oil cooled including two mint WB 993’s on track…….looked and sounded amazing …..not sure I could ever track mine though !

Edited by Jonttt

16 hours ago, neestoke said:

As first time Boxster owners the S had its first trip out. What a blast!

Never had anything like it.

The good lady and me are converted!

sarahgorg.PNG

Stunning car, needs more pics in your other thread :)

• Like 1

A few jobs today, new battery, LED interior light upgrade as per earlier ebay link, wash, quick detail, tyre gel, stare lovingly!

Recently I've been furiously washing my headlights after finding the button on the wiper stalk! :D

4 hours ago, iborguk said:

New knobs installed on PCM 3

Insert pin behind centre caps and then a T6 to remove the screw holding the knob body.

51671066077_02ded3a4d7_b.jpg

looks good  

Find it surprising that they sell PCM knobs as a repair / spare  part but not the heater controls. 

7 hours ago, 987RG said:

MOT completed with welding to two rust holes in the exhaust and a new tyre.  A whole 781 miles driven since the last MOT.  Must do better!!

😀👍 You didn't put the replacement back boxes on then.  Guess the holes were quite small, it did sound quite good though.  Aiming for 4 figures of mile this year at least I hope?

On 11/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, BOB.T said:

Recently I've been furiously washing my headlights after finding the button on the wiper stalk! :D

Just found the headlight washer button, I've only had the car 3 years, thanks @BOB.T  😀

Must admit I thought it auto washed like it did on my BMW's... every day is a learning day.

• Haha 1

I’m still trying to chase down why my new cruise control stalk doesn’t work and am now replacing the brake and upper clutch switches.

While I was contorted under the dash I noticed the footwell lights weren’t working so spent another hour diagnosing fuses and wiring thinking I’d broken something. Only to find that the f***ing tech at the local Indy had switched the lights off at the dome switch. Aargh.

Then, knocked the remote control for the valved exhaust under the seat and it’s disappeared under the floor plan! So now I have to take the seat out tomorrow :(

Time for alcohol.

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

😀👍 You didn't put the replacement back boxes on then.  Guess the holes were quite small, it did sound quite good though.  Aiming for 4 figures of mile this year at least I hope?

Hi Chris, 

The garage I use removed the exhaust and found both back boxes had a hole on the corners, patched up and good to go.  Sounds back to normal now.  

Likely to do four figures now as my brother in law is borrowing the car from this weekend as his Jaguar F-Type was stolen a couple of weeks ago.  I have bought a steering lock as a deterrent!

GmJM8d7.png

Edited by 987RG
add photo
  • Like 1

Finished the suspension refresh. All arms, springs, mounts, bolts, shocks, drop links. I still may do the ARB bushes at some point, but I need a break from spannering.

Just waiting to get if all aligned now. Does anyone have the figures for camber, toe etc? I know the alignment place will have them, but I’m curious. I presume most people stick to factory figures? I haven’t lowered it.

8 minutes ago, BBB said:

Finished the suspension refresh. All arms, springs, mounts, bolts, shocks, drop links. I still may do the ARB bushes at some point, but I need a break from spannering.

Just waiting to get if all aligned now. Does anyone have the figures for camber, toe etc? I know the alignment place will have them, but I’m curious. I presume most people stick to factory figures? I haven’t lowered it.

For my 986 I stuck within factory limits but got max front camber for a bit more steering positivity.

Excellent work, enjoy the silence and a new found confidence in the handling with no squeaks, rattle and knocks.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1