What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

16 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

Repaired my haunted cup holders today

A fascinating toy and a design marvel but does anyone actually use them or just play with them until they break?

I have a favourite coffee shop four miles from home. Nearly always take-away.

The cup holders are more important than most extras, for me at least.

22 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

Repaired my haunted cup holders today whilst Mrs C was watching the rugby. One holder wasn't latching plus the door hinge was broken off in the middle. The door would jam shut but occasionally spring open by itself and release a cup holder Alien style.

Stripped down, plastic glued with Loctite All Plastics (good stuff) and the holder latch repaired with a cut down gold screw. All working now.

A fascinating toy and a design marvel but does anyone actually use them or just play with them until they break?

Only used them once since owning the car. My daughter’s full cup swung around alarmingly in corners so I was cursing them, until I found out that you have to close the cover to stop movement. I fixed the right hand one as a little spring was missing and they stay as the hidden marvel that they are.

23 hours ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

Replaced the worn heater/temp buttons. Easy job and would've finished it before my brew went cold had the little push rods fallen out of the unit. Noticed it when I screwed it back together and the switch wasn't "switching" haha

Where did you get these from please? It's a job on my list

6 hours ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

I've just bought them on your recommendation. Thanks for posting the details, really helpful

• Thanks 1

Bought a couple of sheets of wire mesh from B&Q to make some radiator grill guards. Now just need to cut them to size, spray them black and fit some tubing around the edges and them tie wrap in place. Should be a nice job whilst the weather is so bloody cr*p. At least it'll wash the salt off the roads. Might even roll the bike out the garage and have a blast 😎

16 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

If the extractor won't come out is it possible to grind off the remainder and drill and tap a fresh thread?

I've had a go at drilling it out but my current HSS drillbits don't seem to be making much headway.  Am currently perusing screwfix website.

The only other things I can suggest are to apply heat to the area and see if you can get it to move that way or grind it flat and use a hammer and centre punch on what's left of the extractor to try and get it to turn. I think you'll struggle to drill that out. 

Edited by Del_tl1000r
Spelling

59 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I was meaning a fresh hole/ thread rather than trying to drill out the broken bit.

Good shout, I think you're onto something here, have cleaned up the target surface and it looks like there's room to the left of the original hole.  It's just to mount a supporting bracket so it's not 'structural' or load bearing. Reckon this might do the job.

Ssg3v8q.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 1:14 PM, Laney456 said:

If anybody else interested, I've got an advert on Porsche 987 Owners Group on Facebook and also on eBay.

Advert here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/351201258590173/permalink/1401622233548065/

Or I do have them for sale on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-Boxster-987-LED-Interior-Light-Upgrade-Kit-Detailed-Fitment-Guide-12Pcs-/384716631025?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Hi there... its me. Drop me a line I have just got some new stock

Bought a set of these from Laney456 and finally got round to fitting them now the weather has improved. Totally transformed the interior lighting on my Boxster and the bulbs come with full fitting instructions, including pictures. Great upgrade 👌 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Mot,d advisory on rear tyres , which i was aware of, new tyres ordered through black circles

I think I would rather have replaced the tyres first and avoid an advisory on the history........but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I think I would rather have replaced the tyres first and avoid an advisory on the history........but that's just me.

Fair point but it was all about timing, home today MOT imminent, so get that sorted and then sort the detritus, and remember it’s a advisory, which now is sorted come Friday , with new rears