What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 hour ago, 944GS said:

Second issue is with the frunk, I thought the old bulb wasn’t working but turns out someone has broken it off the reflector so it’s working inside the wing, will need to source a new reflector with the bulb holder attached as this one is beyond repair.

These are plug and play full replacements and fit boxsters. You'll get one for the boot too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184194545891

• Thanks 1

Got my 987.1 back from Redline Porsche after getting the front wheel bearings replaced and a 4 wheel alignment. Noticeably better to drive, less twitchy over uneven/bumpy roads and a lot quieter too. Very impressed with them. Also had a good look around their carrera cup race cars they are prepping for the forthcoming year. 

I have a wireless charging phone cradle, that opens the locating arms when you put the phone near, then automatically closes and grips the phone. It’s neat, but I was powering it from the passenger socket and, worried about it flattening the battery, I had to reach down and pull the cable out after each drive. First-world problem, but not ideal.

I read from @Paul P that fuse C1 was empty and switched power, so today I ran a fused power supply from this fuse to a hidden USB socket that sits behind the aircon controls. Now the phone charger/holder only comes on when the key is inserted and turned to the “run” position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minimoog said:

2x inner steering arm

2x front dampers and top mounts

2x rear coffin arms

Front coolant crossover pipes replaced

Laser alignment

The bill for that lot was a bit ouchy. 

About £1400 close?

Sent my Cayman in to the Indy I have used for a while to get the rusty manifold/cat bolts swapped out.

They found a leaky and corroded brake pipe on the rear caliper. Refused to make a new pipe as "It was a Porsche" FFS. I said all Kunifer pipes are the same, comes off a roll, but they insisted that they wouldn't be suitable for wheelarch fitment, only underbody! I can understand their aversion to making pipes for customers (sort of) buyt I really hate being bullshi++ed to.

Turns out they had made one for a customer that failed after being hit by road debris and nearly caused a crash and so will not make pipes any more. Very surprised at this attitude from them as they personally race various cars and you would think know about these things!.

Anyway, frustrating as that is, I can't get a made up brake pipe until tuesday. Anyone any idea where i can get one quicker than Porsche Silverstone on Tuesday or design 911 poss weds? I'm in the Milton Keynes area. I could possibly buy an off the shelf straight length and bend it, but unsure of how long it needs to be and which flared ends I'd need.

Annoying, as in the past I have made up lots of my own pipes, but don't have access to the required tools since I moved to MK.

Cars stuck in the workshop and I'm going on hols to France on weds. Was hoping to drive in the Cayman.

Removed the panel behind the seats for the first time to discover the belt totally knackered

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oz-__5YYoiHNnnxvZMMPG5lQOlK9m_m-/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OhAvGncFF8KpgfibLDgZHBxp612or-3C/view?usp=drivesdk

ordered a new meyle pump, lower temp thermostat from spyder and a new belt

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P57Q4L-pHuna6_9MSGQ_DzJclhbyue-J/view?usp=drivesdk

all replaced today and vacuum bled with a cheap amazon job which worked well and got most of the air out. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P-NIf6DmAR48tMGG6Z_Z2lXEf09LuRaz/view?usp=drivesdk

wasn't looking forward to bleeding the system up but was a breeze 

2 hours ago, andygo said:

Sent my Cayman in to the Indy I have used for a while to get the rusty manifold/cat bolts swapped out.

They found a leaky and corroded brake pipe on the rear caliper. Refused to make a new pipe as "It was a Porsche" FFS. I said all Kunifer pipes are the same, comes off a roll, but they insisted that they wouldn't be suitable for wheelarch fitment, only underbody! I can understand their aversion to making pipes for customers (sort of) buyt I really hate being bullshi++ed to.

Turns out they had made one for a customer that failed after being hit by road debris and nearly caused a crash and so will not make pipes any more. Very surprised at this attitude from them as they personally race various cars and you would think know about these things!.

Anyway, frustrating as that is, I can't get a made up brake pipe until tuesday. Anyone any idea where i can get one quicker than Porsche Silverstone on Tuesday or design 911 poss weds? I'm in the Milton Keynes area. I could possibly buy an off the shelf straight length and bend it, but unsure of how long it needs to be and which flared ends I'd need.

Annoying, as in the past I have made up lots of my own pipes, but don't have access to the required tools since I moved to MK.

Cars stuck in the workshop and I'm going on hols to France on weds. Was hoping to drive in the Cayman.

Kunifer is very easy to bend with your hands, or around a roll for a nice radius.  I've done the brake lines on my previous Westfield and that hasn't caused it to explode yet ;)

If you need a flaring tool, you're welcome to pick mine up from Northampton.

Just now, minimoog said:

About 37% ouchier.

OUCH!

I'd got that as about £800-900 in parts (assuming you bought known equivalent Bilstein dampers and coffin arms and not original Porsche parts at £300 per coffin arm). And about 8-10 hours labour if working off a ramp and with experience of having done it a few times so I'm maybe a bit under depending on the hourly rate, but £2200???

28 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

OUCH!

I'd got that as about £800-900 in parts (assuming you bought known equivalent Bilstein dampers and coffin arms and not original Porsche parts at £300 per coffin arm). And about 8-10 hours labour if working off a ramp and with experience of having done it a few times so I'm maybe a bit under depending on the hourly rate, but £2200???

Well I didn't buy anything myself, these are indie prices. Yes the dampers are Bilstein. A smidge over £1900 total, £1100 for parts.

If my %age maths is out you'll have to forgive me - I'm busy drowning my sorrows :)

Edited by minimoog

4 minutes ago, minimoog said:

Well I didn't buy buy anything, these are indie prices. Yes the dampers are Bilstein. A smidge over £1900 total, £1100 for parts.

If my %age maths is out you'll have to forgive me - I'm busy drowning my sorrows :)

No, my %age was out, too much rounding up....  Labour was about right though.

Which part of the world are you in?  Would also be interesting to know the brand of the coffin arms, inner arms and top mounts.

7 minutes ago, minimoog said:

Well I didn't buy anything myself, these are indie prices. Yes the dampers are Bilstein. A smidge over £1900 total, £1100 for parts.

My mistake - £917 for parts.

:hic:

10 hours ago, benjohnstone said:

Removed the panel behind the seats for the first time to discover the belt totally knackered

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oz-__5YYoiHNnnxvZMMPG5lQOlK9m_m-/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OhAvGncFF8KpgfibLDgZHBxp612or-3C/view?usp=drivesdk

ordered a new meyle pump, lower temp thermostat from spyder and a new belt

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P57Q4L-pHuna6_9MSGQ_DzJclhbyue-J/view?usp=drivesdk

all replaced today and vacuum bled with a cheap amazon job which worked well and got most of the air out. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P-NIf6DmAR48tMGG6Z_Z2lXEf09LuRaz/view?usp=drivesdk

wasn't looking forward to bleeding the system up but was a breeze 

That was a good catch, that belt was knackered. It’s prompted me to have a look at mine now...

48 minutes ago, BBB said:

That was a good catch, that belt was knackered. It’s prompted me to have a look at mine now...

What's the consequence if the belt snaps? Breakdown & replacement or worse?

10 hours ago, Quinten said:

Kunifer is very easy to bend with your hands, or around a roll for a nice radius.  I've done the brake lines on my previous Westfield and that hasn't caused it to explode yet ;)

If you need a flaring tool, you're welcome to pick mine up from Northampton.

After thinking about it, I remebered that when I swapped the spark plugs earlier this week, I actually wire brushed the existing pipe and sprayed it with some PTFE spray. I suspect that is what the garage has seen a drip of...

But thanks ever so much for the offer of your flaring tool. Yeah, Kunifer is nice stuff to work with, it's not exactly rocket science, is it!

Washed the car yesterday, waxed it today. Do Do Juice 'Light Fantastic', so easy to use & pleasing results. I'll carry on fettling tomorrow if the weather holds. Nice to take my time, do a bit, drink coffee a bit, do a bit more. Good therapy.

• Like 1

Hi Topbox, the meet is at The Goat, on the green at Hertford Heath.

1st Sunday of every month, they open for coffee at 11.oo am and drinks and food from 12.00.

Always a wide selection of classic cars, best to get there earlyish because it gets very busy in the summer if the weather is good. Lots of Porches there today, and good to meet iborguk and see his pristine Boxtser .

• Like 1