What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 3/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, gillbe said:

Red coolant drips discovered coming off rear of the foremost undercover.  300ml topup required (last checked 4 months ago - so a slow leak.

Time to bite the bullet and replace the whole set of coolant pipes?  (2010, 94K )  Will be DIY - looking at all the resources on here, should be doable on the driveway with rear ramps and front axle stands, so long as rain and wind hold off a few days

Do I NEED a vacuum coolant filler 🤔 ....

How did you go on this? Did you get the vacuum in the end?

2 minutes ago, Ell959 said:

How did you go on this? Did you get the vacuum in the end?

Will probably do without the vacuum.  Not done yet 🙂- car is prepped, i.e. up on stands and undercovers off.  Confirmed leak is from nearside sleeve that sits between mid-to-rear aluminium pipe and joins with plastic pipe ; also another slight weep at base of nearside radiator pipe.  Waiting on OPC Bristol parts dept to quote for a replacement set of coolant pipes (like design911 offer WATERPIPEKIT03)

4 minutes ago, gillbe said:

Will probably do without the vacuum.  Not done yet 🙂- car is prepped, i.e. up on stands and undercovers off.  Confirmed leak is from nearside sleeve that sits between mid-to-rear aluminium pipe and joins with plastic pipe ; also another slight weep at base of nearside radiator pipe.  Waiting on OPC Bristol parts dept to quote for a replacement set of coolant pipes (like design911 offer WATERPIPEKIT03)

Does the sleeve wear due to vibration or heat cycling?

Edited by Ell959

47 minutes ago, Ell959 said:

Does the sleeve wear due to vibration or heat cycling?

Just aluminium and galvanic corrosion is the course , end off once gone need to be replaced 

12 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Just aluminium and galvanic corrosion is the course , end off once gone need to be replaced 

Strangely it's the rubber sleeve into plastic pipe that is leaking - other end into aluminium pipe is fine.

Thanks and appreciated..... somebody else asked me for the link to my adverts. What sets my kits apart is the fitment guide and colour matched / crisp / non-hologram colour.

If member of 987 Porsche Owners on Facebook?

Advert here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/351201258590173/permalink/1401622233548065/

OR..... I have them listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384716631025?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Plat_Gen%3A987&hash=item5992e5ebf1:g:S5gAAOSwn8Rh~b2q

Both 987.1 and 987.2 - Cayman and Boxster - Always happy 

• Like 1

Replaced the rear springs, with the correct shorter length, ones I had, from a previous swop out, when I didn’t notice the low mileage Secondhand PASM struts , had the wrong springs on 😡Cars still up in the air at the mo, so yet to see the result.

Picked up my, new to me, 2006 S on Saturday and as it was 100% stock with absolutely no modifications since purchase I figured a few little tweaks were in order!

Weekend job was to upgrade the headlights to LEDs, also as lights were out popped some silver vision indicators to lose the orange bulb look

Also popped some new white LEDs in to replace the number plate lights and all interior yellow bulbs nicely swapped to modern white look

Just received the new rear LED lights and front DRL LEDs and swapped those over and even my wife said how modern it now looked compared to the weekend!

Have the Zunsport front grills to fit but am going to have a detail done first to get into the nooks and crannies before fitting as I believe can be a challenge to remove. Also a replacement boot strut as it did fall down on me so clearly needs replacing 

Hoping to get the head unit swapped out for the Kenwood 5005 in the next week or so (having someone do that as don’t like playing with electrics!)

Only other change planned is for a Royal Steering wheel with nappa and perforated leather (with thumb/thickness added) but that can wait a while!

@NICTRY Congrats on the new car! Which LED rear lights did you go for - this is a whole new cluster rather than replacing the bulbs I'm assuming?

I hadn't heard of Royal Steering wheels but was just looking at their website - they look proper!  There's no pricing info that I could find though - what sort of ballpark is it for them to refurb a wheel?

Edited by Hainesy

10 minutes ago, Hainesy said:

@NICTRY Congrats on the new car! Which LED rear lights did you go for - this is a whole new cluster rather than replacing the bulbs I'm assuming?

I hadn't heard of Royal Steering wheels but was just looking at their website - they look proper!  There's no pricing info that I could find though - what sort of ballpark is it for them to refurb a wheel?

Just put a couple of pictures up showing the 'after' for the front DRLs and the rear LED upgrades. 

I forgot I also updated the side indicators to clear lens with sequential LEDs to match the rears 

I last used Royal when Jack first started, so before he had a premises etc and worked from home, I think nowadays (just from a few comments on other forums) its around £200 but that's a guess and likely differs depending on choice of materials etc. He offers a exchange and fit (send the wheel and he updates it) or he sends you the updated wheel and you fit and return your old wheel to him

Edited by NICTRY

2 hours ago, NICTRY said:

Only other change planned is for a Royal Steering wheel with nappa and perforated leather (with thumb/thickness added) but that can wait a while!

I have side grips in perforated leather on my S3 but think full matte nappa looks and feels better.

Nothing like the feeling of a perfect brand new steering wheel to make a car feel special. 

Edited by Codfanglers

12 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

I have side grips in perforated leather on my S3 but think full matte nappa looks and feels better.

Nothing like the feeling of a perfect brand new steering wheel to make a car feel special. 

Yeah, I'm really tempted now...  I wonder if it's better to keep the wheel as thin as possible vs having it fatter - like a BMW wheel tends to be.

Edited by Hainesy

2 hours ago, NICTRY said:

Just put a couple of pictures up showing the 'after' for the front DRLs and the rear LED upgrades. 

I forgot I also updated the side indicators to clear lens with sequential LEDs to match the rears 

I last used Royal when Jack first started, so before he had a premises etc and worked from home, I think nowadays (just from a few comments on other forums) its around £200 but that's a guess and likely differs depending on choice of materials etc. He offers a exchange and fit (send the wheel and he updates it) or he sends you the updated wheel and you fit and return your old wheel to him

Nice - looks good!

11 hours ago, YorkshireBoxster said:

Where were the rears from? I've seen the fronts on 911 so they're on my shopping list next month but the rears would be great to get too. Cheers 

Sent you a message with details 👍

• Thanks 1