What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Did you do this because you felt there was something wrong or is this something that people do routinely? I take it you're talking about the exhaust manifold?

It’s a 09 , 987,2 base with the 9A1 motor on 88 K miles 

Suspect they solved a few issues with the  earlier M96/97 , tbh ALL the well documented issues when they introduced the 9A1 .

I did it as a maintenance thingy because they stretch with the heat cycles and effectively come loose in respect to tightness .Yes it is the manifold to block size 12 torx  male  heads .So you need a female torx socket set some extensions and a calibrated torque wrench that goes low down to around 20lb / ft .

It’s new to me and just reading around the subject.Yeh I know a lot to filter as well .

I have already changed the leaky AC pipes by the drivers Jack point , the front condensers ( bumper off job ) waxoiled up as much as I could after removing the wheel arch liners .Also checked cleaned the front water cross over pipes ( new in 2016 according to the SH ) , waxoiled them blew in in between with compressed air down the joint .

Had all the under trays off cleaned waxoiled and copper slipped all the fixings .Painted the disk top hats mat black .Colour restored the callipers .They do restore no need to paint .Stripped the brakes and cleaned + copper slipped up the moving / friction bits .

Fixed the hood elastics that go causing the hood to switch out of the rain gutter at the rear .

Baby shampoo the hood + fabsil gold when dry .

Only had it a month and put 1000 miles mostly hood down .So it’s not been all work and no play .

Sharp turn in and Uber grippy with indate PS4 s - incredible really the handling balance .Why has it taken this long to discover boxsters  ?? 

Loving it .

Ok re torquing the manifold bolts was at the bottom of the to “do list “

Edited by Boxer boy

Just now, Menoporsche said:

Admit it: you were starting to get bored…

Basically yes .

How ever been reading around and knocked up this list .

Manifold bolts are on it at No 4 on the list .

Just to be clear I no “ tick “ but curiosity got the better of me .

I have an inspection pit so easy to get under it .

Porsche tick 

• loose spark plugs: Free
  • injector ticking: I would suggest using a couple of cans of LiquiMoly Jectron Fuel Injector Cleaner (one at the time, back to back with full tank of gas)
  • stuck lifters: Again, Liqui Moly Lifter Additive
  • Loose exhaust manifold bolt (s) 
  • Water pump on its way out .
  • piston skirt slapping: Unfortunately the only cure for this is to disassemble the engine and get a new set of LN Nickies..
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Finbox said:

Took the car for a short drive and quick wash. It's still so cold I've not been able to do a single top down drive this year!-)

PKwxJAg.jpg

What!!! I live in Scotland and had the roof down loads of times this year. As long as it's above 8°c and dry that's good enough for me.

9 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

What!!! I live in Scotland and had the roof down loads of times this year. As long as it's above 8°c and dry that's good enough for me.

Heh, I'm still way further north in Finland. My temperature limit for top down is somewhere around 13 to 15°C and we've not really seen that weather yet this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Finbox - a clue?

@Finbox - can you put your location in your profile please to avoid confusion.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finbox said:

Heh, I'm still way further north in Finland. My temperature limit for top down is somewhere around 13 to 15°C and we've not really seen that weather yet this year.

AHH .....I see!! 😉

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:53 PM, Boxer boy said:

Porsche tick

• loose spark plugs: Free
  • injector ticking: I would suggest using a couple of cans of LiquiMoly Jectron Fuel Injector Cleaner (one at the time, back to back with full tank of gas)
  • stuck lifters: Again, Liqui Moly Lifter Additive
  • Loose exhaust manifold bolt (s) 
  • Water pump on its way out .
  • piston skirt slapping: Unfortunately the only cure for this is to disassemble the engine and get a new set of LN Nickies..

Interesting, I've got the ticking issue too that I'm looking to cure. For me it's not the plugs or manifold bolts but a pump on the way out is something I'll have to look into as I'm also losing coolant somwhere and I've no idea where.

Edited by DisplayName

Practiced doing the “anti dazzle when in France headlight adjustment” today.  

certainly not something to do on the euro tunnel on the way across. 

remove the light.  Take the back cover off, I have pdls so take the xenon control unit off then hunt the O - T toggle.  Then flick it with a long screwdriver.  

the little reverse L middle right is the target. 

you flick that up about 20 degrees 

cleaned around the headlight space and lubed the release mechanism.  

had a beer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s ok once you figure out the process.  If it saves having to mess around with odd stickers and stuff then it’s worth the effort. Just wanted to make sure I knew what to do, past experience In France suggests “trying” is worth it.  

also got my U.K. end of the number plate stickers, euro recovery courtesy of the Porsche assist part of the extended warranty my faithful “shout and point “ English / French translation.  

it will be “Bon” 

This thread is not really the place for it, but continuing on the theme of visiting France, I can really recommend an ATMB toll tag: https://www.atmb.com/en/our-offers/etp-subscription/light-vehicles/liber-t-evasion. You only pay when you use, and with a fee-free card like Starling/Revolut/etc it's as cheap as it can be, without the hassle of stopping at the tolls

• Like 1

Today was the first part of the roof maitenance, this time lubricating the pivots and greasing the clamshell rail. Easy to do. also cleaned the roof tray - there was a bit of pine needles, leaves etc. I can see how quickly you can get the drains clogged.

I also adjusted the pushrod lenght a bit, by two turns. The roof latch has been hard to close since I replaced the pushrods and I kind of knew that this was the reason.

Next weekend I'm going to clean and reproof the roof.

On 4/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, gillbe said:

Picked up the new engine mount and stops from OPC.  When get round to fitting after Easter, hope to see some play in the old one as going in blind (blind faith having believed all the hype....).  Looks like going to have to remove front engine cover to get to the upper bolt - which will be a new experience too.

IpyUE65.jpg

0rQO0Dl.jpg

A day spent wrestling with front engine mount removal and replacement.  What a faff!  4 bolts secure the mount frame to the front of the engine - top passenger-side bolt is accessible via front engine cover, but have to lower the engine and gearbox to completely remove the bolt.  Bottom driver's side bolt required a second 16mm ring spanner purchase with less offset to access head for the first turn. 

Then try to get the whole assembly out past the two rubber coolant hoses - managed it, but as for the the replacement?  There was no way of getting that back in, keeps catching on another pipes release spring.  Finally gave in and had to disconnect a hose and catch half a bucket of coolant.  Refilling will be another day's job once the rain goes away. 

Then will be able to actually see effect if any of this change.  (having seen no obvious difference with the 12 year old part removed, I suspect I will be disappointed)

My advice, disconnect the hoses first.

I drove mine to the Indy for some work to be done…

Front coolant pipes, water pump as a preventative measure, low temp stat & new drive belt.
Also booked it in for a major service, plugs & brake fluid change next month.

So by the time the service is done, this year has so far cost me just over £1 for every mile I’ve driven in the last 12 months just in maintenance costs…

Think I need to drive it more…

So, I had my Boxster serviced today, the full 6/12 years service with pretty much everything included. Came very close to their estimate, around £1550. They also did the long checklist with motor mounts, coolant hoses etc and all was fine - they did not recommend any further service at this point. It was expensive, but I think I paid for peace of mind too.

I've also finally had a chance to drive with the roof open. This is why I got this car!-)

• Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, gillbe said:

A day spent wrestling with front engine mount removal and replacement.  What a faff!  4 bolts secure the mount frame to the front of the engine - top passenger-side bolt is accessible via front engine cover, but have to lower the engine and gearbox to completely remove the bolt.  Bottom driver's side bolt required a second 16mm ring spanner purchase with less offset to access head for the first turn. 

Then try to get the whole assembly out past the two rubber coolant hoses - managed it, but as for the the replacement?  There was no way of getting that back in, keeps catching on another pipes release spring.  Finally gave in and had to disconnect a hose and catch half a bucket of coolant.  Refilling will be another day's job once the rain goes away. 

Then will be able to actually see effect if any of this change.  (having seen no obvious difference with the 12 year old part removed, I suspect I will be disappointed)

My advice, disconnect the hoses first.i

Bit late now but you shouldn't have to disconnect anything to fit a new engine mount. You do need to raise and lower the engine a bit but otherwise it should be reasonably straightforwards. I've done a few now and have not disconnected the coolant hoses

Also, was there not a screw as well as the 4 bolts? Might be that your mount has already been replaced in the past... 

Edit: ignore everything I have just said, I see yours is a 987.2. maybe the hose routing is different

Edited by Lennym1984

12 hours ago, Finbox said:

So, I had my Boxster serviced today, the full 6/12 years service with pretty much everything included. Came very close to their estimate, around £1550. They also did the long checklist with motor mounts, coolant hoses etc and all was fine - they did not recommend any further service at this point. It was expensive, but I think I paid for peace of mind too.

I've also finally had a chance to drive with the roof open. This is why I got this car!-)

^^ this guy is dedicated :)  ^^

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Bit late now but you shouldn't have to disconnect anything to fit a new engine mount. You do need to raise and lower the engine a bit but otherwise it should be reasonably straightforwards. I've done a few now and have not disconnected the coolant hoses

Also, was there not a screw as well as the 4 bolts? Might be that your mount has already been replaced in the past... 

Edit: ignore everything I have just said, I see yours is a 987.2. maybe the hose routing is different

hose routing is probably the same - it's the change in design of the aluminium casting holding the mount (item 2).  Adds a long leg on one side that bolts to the engine much higher up - negotiating this leg into the gap whilst also clearing the pipes with item 1 is tricky.  

image.thumb.png.c372bb8b874090e5862abedefb61a67e.png