What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

4 hours ago, Davey rocket said:

What brakes do you fitted, was it factory fit or a bolt on upgrade ?

They're carbon ceramic, factory fitted. The front callipers are huge 6 pot things, and both front and back disks are the same diameter

31 minutes ago, Grizzlee said:

They're carbon ceramic, factory fitted. The front callipers are huge 6 pot things, and both front and back disks are the same diameter

And time to cry lots when you need to change them!!!

Not really today but more this weekend.  800 ish miles round trip to Le Mans.  

A mellow drive, no cannonball wannabe BS - chunk of time on cruise - 2.5 tanks of fuel and a great weekend away from “real life”

Collected a kilo of fly road kill, and never bested in the toll booth standing quarter.  

probably 15 or 20 times I have been to the race.  And despite being on 3rd Porsche - 1st time in a “P” car

Porsche experience centre at the track was a welcome bar/restaurant/bog diversion.  Show your key and in you go. 

• Like 6

@Paul P thanks for the tip re Porsche and key fob.  Hoping to get there one year in the 986 having been a similar number of times to you in the past, however I end up taking the daily with 2 or 3 mates as I have have had a decent size estate for most of the last several years but I can still take the Porsche key with me....

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@Paul P thanks for the tip re Porsche and key fob.  Hoping to get there one year in the 986 having been a similar number of times to you in the past, however I end up taking the daily with 2 or 3 mates as I have have had a decent size estate for most of the last several years but I can still take the Porsche key with me....

Yeah I like the Porsche key tip, noted!

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

Porsche experience centre at the track was a welcome bar/restaurant/bog diversion.  Show your key and in you go. 

I hadn't seen this Cayenne convertible before.

Taken the tiptronic gearbox out of my 05 3.2 S what a job on your own as it's big and heavy.

Biggest pain getting that 12 point female spline bolt out on the left hand side of the box.

I was sure my rear main seal was leaking but that's bone dry it's the IMS bearing leaking.

Going to have to do some research as which way to go now.

Both gearbox mounts leaking so they need renewal.

Soak in the bath now and aperitifs as I'm in France.

26 minutes ago, philw696 said:

Taken the tiptronic gearbox out of my 05 3.2 S what a job on your own as it's big and heavy.

Biggest pain getting that 12 point female spline bolt out on the left hand side of the box.

I was sure my rear main seal was leaking but that's bone dry it's the IMS bearing leaking.

Going to have to do some research as which way to go now.

Both gearbox mounts leaking so they need renewal.

Soak in the bath now and aperitifs as I'm in France.

Leave the RMS well alone if bone dry.

Lock the engine and replace the IMS flange

25 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Leave the RMS well alone if bone dry.

Lock the engine and replace the IMS flange

Rear main is bone dry which surprised me.

I have the locking kit.

Why do you suggest replace the flange ?

Best place to get the seals, o rings and crush washers for the tensioners.

Dealership or independent ?

Phil.

1 minute ago, philw696 said:

Rear main is bone dry which surprised me.

I have the locking kit.

Why do you suggest replace the flange ?

Best place to get the seals, o rings and crush washers for the tensioners.

Dealership or independent ?

Phil.

The flange is what is leaking Phil.

Porsche for the parts

First MOT in my ownership today, passed with no advisories then when I got home my steering wheel had arrived so I installed that, productive day although it took me a few attempts to get the airbag out!

Edited by 944GS

Whilst I have my 3.2 S I notice my gearbox mounts are shot with all the liquid out of them.

I've seen some interesting video's on the Tube where people clean them out and fill them with polyurethane with good results.

I'm giving it a go on mine.

Any thoughts on here ?

1 hour ago, philw696 said:

Whilst I have my 3.2 S I notice my gearbox mounts are shot with all the liquid out of them.

I've seen some interesting video's on the Tube where people clean them out and fill them with polyurethane with good results.

I'm giving it a go on mine.

Any thoughts on here ?

Take a look at this thread, 986 but same mounts:

I pondered on just dropping it enough to get at the pipes but the other two considerations were that I suspected that the ARB bushes would be knackered due to corrosion (and boy were they knackered!) and the other thing was that the corrosion on the pipes was so bad that the pipes weren't even coming apart from rubber to plastic connections, least of from rubber to aluminuim.

Got a massive list of parts that I need to get, it's probably going to cost over £500 just in parts.

IMG_20220615_204429

Here you can see the corrosion on the ARB bushing. 

Fitted my zunsport grills. They've been in a box in the garage for a few months. Wanted to zip tie them on so was a bumper off job.

That was today. Thought I had a coolant leak so whipped it off. I'm pretty confident it's the headlight washers now I've had a proper look. Another job for the list 🙄

13 hours ago, SpeedyGee said:

It's a new sight for me, I'm use to working on Jap cars previsouly, so a bit of WTF moment LOL

Same for me....first time i had worked on a car and I had expected better things from a Porsche!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Same for me....first time i had worked on a car and I had expected better things from a Porsche!

It's the British Winter Weather that's the problem and salt on the roads.

Over 40 years as a mechanic and also been a MOT tester it's shocking what you see.

Now living in France and no salt on the roads in the Pays de Loire cars are mint.

I changed the steering wheel!  My car had the button PDK wheel, and I never liked the look or the button function that much. I was looking for a replacement with Sport Design wheel, and when one became available used, I bought it. I was contemplating wether to have the OPC or Indy do the work, but in the end after watching a few YT videos decided to do it myself. It was quite simple and took only like 15 minutes. All well and paddles work, but it's not 100% straight (I made a mark in it, but missed my logic) so I have to take it apart tomorrow to straighten it.

The new wheel not only looks better, but the slightly smaller diameter and thickness make it feel a lot sportier and better. The paddles are quite nice too, makes shifting manually with the PDK a pleasure.

igGT5OC.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Finbox said:

I changed the steering wheel!  My car had the button PDK wheel, and I never liked the look or the button function that much. I was looking for a replacement with Sport Design wheel, and when one became available used, I bought it. I was contemplating wether to have the OPC or Indy do the work, but in the end after watching a few YT videos decided to do it myself. It was quite simple and took only like 15 minutes. All well and paddles work, but it's not 100% straight (I made a mark in it, but missed my logic) so I have to take it apart tomorrow to straighten it.

The new wheel not only looks better, but the slightly smaller diameter and thickness make it feel a lot sportier and better. The paddles are quite nice too, makes shifting manually with the PDK a pleasure.

igGT5OC.jpg

Well done, I love having the paddles.

• Like 1