What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

got the car back and happy to say the window regulator has been replaced with no issues. 

Indy ordered a seal. just in case but wasn't required. 

life is good again. missed the car as it was gone 2 days and doesn't feel right with a Porsche-less driveway. 

1 minute ago, Pinewood said:

got the car back and happy to say the window regulator has been replaced with no issues. 

Indy ordered a seal. just in case but wasn't required. 

life is good again. missed the car as it was gone 2 days and doesn't feel right with a Porsche-less driveway. 

Glad it was sorted with min agg. 👍

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 944GS said:

Replaced the roof elastic, a previous owner had used cable ties to try and secure the old rotten elastic instead of stitching it.

Very satisfying to watch it pop back in when closing now!

😱

Well done on sorting it properly.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:00 AM, TGI_J said:

Just eurocar parts actually. I think it was a Pagid Kit for roughly £18 with the current discount 

Just catching up.

My Ferodo DS2500 track pads were £175.00! Fronts only. Actually, rears were the same price...

Took it out of the garage (trapped for two weeks by house scaffolding), quick local soapy jetwash, and drove to work. Will leave it at work from where my indie will take it to sort some issues while I'm away - MoT, service, TPMS sensors replaced, new wiper blades (he had them since Jan, I forgot!), sorting bonnet release away from wheel arch, stuff like that.

After spending 5 weeks on the ramps, she looks pleased to being back on all fours and heading outdoors.

IMG_20220712_094009

IMG_20220712_094137

Jobs completed :-

All new coolant piping at the front 
Coolant flush
Oil change
Brake fluid flush
Wheels refurbed
Calipers painted
Damaged AC Condensers replaced
New dryer/dessicator installed
New ARB bushes
Front wheel arch area given a thorough clean (rears to follow)
Polish and wax

After being left to idle for about half an hour to burp the cooling system, she streched her legs out a little by going up and down the drive a few times (currenlty SORN'd so can't yet hit the road).

A quick wash to get rid of the dust that had collected on her and she's back on the ramps ready for some more work to be carried out.

Edited by SpeedyGee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Took it out of the garage (trapped for two weeks by house scaffolding), quick local soapy jetwash, and drove to work. Will leave it at work from where my indie will take it to sort some issues while I'm away - MoT, service, TPMS sensors replaced, new wiper blades (he had them since Jan, I forgot!), sorting bonnet release away from wheel arch, stuff like that.

Which replacement sensors did you go with and how many EUROs were they ? Thanks

I put a brand name (not known by me) in my Members Rides, but they soon started malfunctioning so I don't recommend them.

I await to see what they put in instead and if it works! I said I'd pay full price for the originals (HUF). Can only tell you when he's done it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I put a brand name (not known by me) in my Members Rides, but they soon started malfunctioning so I don't recommend them.

I await to see what they put in instead and if it works! I said I'd pay full price for the originals (HUF). Can only tell you when he's done it.

These sensors are a real nuisance and pain in the ar*e, i went down this road a few times, tires off and on....I have asked a forum member with the Porsche software to remove the system (disconnect and reset software) from the car, car is 2010 so legally does not need them in the UK. Then I can change wheels without all the hassle if I care too. :) 

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Edited by EVO Chris

Thanks. I was happy with the system for 5 years until the batteries start to fade, and it alerted me to unexpected low pressures 3-4 times.  So for me, £500 every 7 years is OK for a Porsche. I was just trying to save £200 - and failed.

After a recent (1st time ever ) actual blow out which I suspect was a “didn’t notice low pressure” issue (no proof but that’s how it sits in my head) i looked at  retrofitting them if it was viable - it isn’t realistic.  Would have been ironic if I did it then started to regret it down the line.

I suspect retrofitting OEM would be expensive eg due to the dash warning light and OBC integration. But there are various aftermarket solutions which I think show "low pressure" but without saying which wheel, for example.

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I suspect retrofitting OEM would be expensive eg due to the dash warning light and OBC integration. But there are various aftermarket solutions which I think show "low pressure" but without saying which wheel, for example.

Expensive yes but it’s the hardware that makes the bulk of the cost. The dash warning and all that is sorted by coding the car.  The instrument cluster is told about tpms and a host of Params from the PIWIS system (wheel sizes, summer / winter / expected pressures / threshold etc. The “gateway” is told to expect to find the tpms module. The PIWIS logic builds the configuration. I am fortunate to have access to the kit to do that part.

the expensive part is there is a receiver in each wheel arch to retrofit, and the central control module on top of the senders/sensors. the hard part is that you need to run a new custom wiring loom from each receiver back to the control module - the wiring is not there if you didn’t have it from factory and not available as a spare part - so it’s wires and plugs and cable wrap and no skin on your knuckles etc. 

If I was doing it I would buy the control module and the receivers from a breakers. New Oem  sensors as appropriate,and get local tyre guys to fit.  if it was all pre wired then I would have done it, but it’s over the viable and paranoia threshold for me. 

no experience worth the 3rd party setups but the ones that sit external to the valve don’t get great reviews and frankly I simply don’t trust the generic cheap as chips stuff - I would always be double checking anyway. 

i check my tyres visually now every time I pull the car out of the garage or anytime i start the days driving if I am away from home  and I check with a gauge every time I wash it  

• Thanks 1

The sensors feel like a rushed to market exercise, there does not seem a really robust solution out there and the batteries, on a good run do 5 years, which you could argue is time for tyre changes too. But what about if you do a set in a couple of years, do you change the sensors as they are 1/2 way through the battery life (if your lucky) at £60+ per corner. I am fortunate to only run my car during summer, not many miles and the tyres will need changing before they wear out, but the sensors have messed around, on different corners and different times so its a mare come summer, I had a rear tyre of twice before it was sorted, then did not trust the tyre so replaced it. I purchased the same sensors (Beru? IIRC) that Porsche use. If only someone would come up with a design with the battery on the outside!! I would happily change the battery yearly (similar to the push bike light up air caps)......I am ranting ....sorry.

6 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

Could be Huf in there, I think I tried a Beru version too, may even still have them in the fronts. Then again these could have been the set that did not fit. 🤪

I've taken a £25 punt on these today, appear to be the same as the Porsche OE for mine. Of course got to hope they are genuine VW (rebadged Huf) and battery shelf-life isn't an issue but worth a go for that outlay. If nothing else can use them as experiments re trying battery replacement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154841487649?fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item240d459921:g:DX0AAOSwqqZiBjM2

Edited by iborguk

10 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

The sensors feel like a rushed to market exercise, there does not seem a really robust solution out there and the batteries, on a good run do 5 years, which you could argue is time for tyre changes too. But what about if you do a set in a couple of years, do you change the sensors as they are 1/2 way through the battery life (if your lucky) at £60+ per corner. I am fortunate to only run my car during summer, not many miles and the tyres will need changing before they wear out, but the sensors have messed around, on different corners and different times so its a mare come summer, I had a rear tyre of twice before it was sorted, then did not trust the tyre so replaced it. I purchased the same sensors (Beru? IIRC) that Porsche use. If only someone would come up with a design with the battery on the outside!! I would happily change the battery yearly (similar to the push bike light up air caps)......I am ranting ....sorry.

If only the bits were loft and shift the you and I could have helped each other out :)

let me know as/when you want to code yours out.  

All the hard work of the past month and half has paid off, my 987.1 passed it's MOT today. 

Took it for a lovely A and B road blast, she did great.

No signs of leaking coolant anywhere either!

The next thing I need to look at is the binding roof. Basically the clamshell "arms" catch the soft top along the very bottom. 

Any tips on how to diagnose the cause of? I'm happy working on any of the rest of the car but never had a soft top before, so could do with some pointers, thanks. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:08 AM, Paul P said:

If only the bits were loft and shift the you and I could have helped each other out :)

let me know as/when you want to code yours out.  

Thanks Paul, yes shame I couldn't easily pull it out and hand it over.