What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Rear camera added to my Pioneer double din. Bit of a pig to run the cables but done now.

image0-1.jpg

However, its a work in progress. The camera is built into one of the numberplates lights. That is LED and now the other side isn't and it looks just wrong.

image1.jpg

So i replaced the other side with LED and now the CANBUS system says no and shuts down all the numberpate lights. Had to clear the faults else the lights won't come back on. So one side LED and one Halogen is fine but both LED's wont work as, i assume, the current is just too low. ordered a higher powered LED numberplate bulb, that should work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

PS - Masking take on the LED side for now to try and correct the colour 😄

Edited by Ti Rich

12 minutes ago, Ti Rich said:

Rear camera added to my Pioneer double din. Bit of a pig to run the cables but done now.

I'd like to do the same so would you be able to detail this?
(the camera bit as I've also just fitted a Pioneer head unit)
Which camera and how it's routed and wired in.
Would be super useful as I have no idea how to do this.

Edited by Dan888

On 8/29/2022 at 2:09 PM, And.rs1800 said:

We’ll surprise surprise the toyosport doesn’t fit-no where near.

The pipes that bolt to the cat flanges are hard up against the body !!

Tried to tickle them up with a hammer to no avail.what a piece of shyate!!

Not implying you're a halfwit or nothing but are you sure you've got the right one on the right side? Mine were close but it bolted right up. They look similar but they're not.

9 minutes ago, Dan888 said:

I'd like to do the same so would you be able to detail this?
(the camera bit as I've also just fitted a Pioneer head unit)
Which camera and how it's routed and wired in.
Would be super useful as I have no idea how to do this.

Hi Dan

I didnt document the process with pictures sorry. However the steps were like this.

1. Remove passenger side headlight

2. Remove passenger side number plate light and replace with new light and camera.

3. Run cables back to headlight area.

4. Connect earth cable from camera to the earth point just behind the rear light.

5. You need to connect the +ve from the camera to the reverse light wire (Blue/ Black i think) and also the feed that connects to the head unit to give it a signal that reverse has been engaged.

6. Pass the cable (RCA video feed with the signal wire built in) through the corner of the rear balkhead 

7. Run the cable past the hood mechanisum making sure the wite will not get traped as it moves.

8. Move passenger seat forward and remove single screw to repalce trim panel. Run cable though this area.

9. Run cable short distance inside door rubber and then round the bottom of the pastic still trim. no need to remove as the wire is thin and will push up out of sight.

10. Bring wire up door post (inside the rubber seal) to the point where the glove box is.

11. Remove 4 black plastic screws below glove box and then run wire acoss to centre of car.

12. Remove passenger side trim panel on the the center consoul that has the radio in it (T20 Torx i think)

13. Remove radio, feed wire to the radio.

14. Connect RCA to the REAR CAMERA input (brown on my Pioneer unit)

15. Connect signal wire to reverse signal connector and replace radio.

16. Go into settings on the Pioneer unit. Switch on rear camera and make sure the switch is set to live trigger.

Thats about it! if doing it again i could do it in about 2 hours.

I got my camera off ebay. I think the guy purschased it and then got cold feet but it's similar to this:-

987 rear camera

Step 7 is what takes the time. It needs to be right else the hood could cut the cable and create a short circuit. I am going to add a fuse prior to the wire going past this section. I utilised the rubber seal around the roof mechanisum to run the wire in. It has a "flap on the inside which was just enough room to run the wire.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ti Rich said:

Hi Dan

I didnt document the process with pictures sorry. However the steps were like this.

1. Remove passenger side headlight

2. Remove passenger side number plate light and replace with new light and camera.

3. Run cables back to headlight area.

4. Connect earth cable from camera to the earth point just behind the rear light.

5. You need to connect the +ve from the camera to the reverse light wire (Blue/ Black i think) and also the feed that connects to the head unit to give it a signal that reverse has been engaged.

6. Pass the cable (RCA video feed with the signal wire built in) through the corner of the rear balkhead 

7. Run the cable past the hood mechanisum making sure the wite will not get traped as it moves.

8. Move passenger seat forward and remove single screw to repalce trim panel. Run cable though this area.

9. Run cable short distance inside door rubber and then round the bottom of the pastic still trim. no need to remove as the wire is thin and will push up out of sight.

10. Bring wire up door post (inside the rubber seal) to the point where the glove box is.

11. Remove 4 black plastic screws below glove box and then run wire acoss to centre of car.

12. Remove passenger side trim panel on the the center consoul that has the radio in it (T20 Torx i think)

13. Remove radio, feed wire to the radio.

14. Connect RCA to the REAR CAMERA input (brown on my Pioneer unit)

15. Connect signal wire to reverse signal connector and replace radio.

16. Go into settings on the Pioneer unit. Switch on rear camera and make sure the switch is set to live trigger.

Thats about it! if doing it again i could do it in about 2 hours.

I got my camera off ebay. I think the guy purschased it and then got cold feet but it's similar to this:-

987 rear camera

Step 7 is what takes the time. It needs to be right else the hood could cut the cable and create a short circuit. I am going to add a fuse prior to the wire going past this section. I utilised the rubber seal around the roof mechanisum to run the wire in. It has a "flap on the inside which was just enough room to run the wire.

Hope that helps!

Helpful write up.

Could you copy and paste this as a new topic in the How To section? Might help others in future and be easier to find!

• Like 1

I believe you can buy canbus friendly light units, cheaper for VW than Porsche. Don’t just get the bulbs, they come with big heat sinks in a small place and don’t last long. IME!

Edited by Menoporsche

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Not implying you're a halfwit or nothing but are you sure you've got the right one on the right side? Mine were close but it bolted right up. They look similar but they're not.

No definitely not lol -they definitely don’t go on the other way round- really annoying!!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I believe you can buy canbus friendly light units, cheaper for VW than Porsche. Don’t just get the bulbs, they come with big heat sinks in a small place and don’t last long. IME!

Hard to find canbus friendly C5W LED bulbs that actually work. Many say they do but they dont as i have found out.

Had a minor service at LaRose Porsche in Sevenoaks, all the staff are ace and very friendly and the tech gave me a guide around the underneath of my car after the service. Cannot fault the service and with brake fluid change it was £440 all in. OPC quoted £778.

Picked it up and drove it 200 miles home to Scotland using mostly A and B roads.

Wow. I've had a couple of powerful motors but this is just something different.

One or two niggles to fix, I'll write them up in one of those owners cars threads.

21 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

😉 No. Noticed your post on driving your new toy home. You'd be on the A726 from Strathaven. I'm in E/K and so is Mick H. Both of us in Lindsayfield.

Excellent.
I was in Lyndsayfield last night showing it off to family.
I'm down in the village. There are two 986s in my street already but I don't know the owners.

14 hours ago, Medic-one said:

Went for lunch with the Essex division of Porsche club GB at North Weald. 

302757209_10162222541117818_642849360859

Orange Cayman? Didn't know they were available. (well, anything is if you pay for it...)  Wonder if that was factory or a wrap...

On 8/30/2022 at 1:53 PM, Ti Rich said:

image0-1.jpg

However, its a work in progress. The camera is built into one of the numberplates lights. That is LED and now the other side isn't and it looks just wrong.

image1.jpg

So i replaced the other side with LED and now the CANBUS system says no and shuts down all the numberpate lights. Had to clear the faults else the lights won't come back on. So one side LED and one Halogen is fine but both LED's wont work as, i assume, the current is just too low. ordered a higher powered LED numberplate bulb, that should work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

PS - Masking take on the LED side for now to try and correct the colour 😄

...At first glance, i thought you'd fitted a mini glass fronted dash fridge......!!!

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Orange Cayman? Didn't know they were available. (well, anything is if you pay for it...)  Wonder if that was factory or a wrap...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15145567/2009-porsche-boxster-s-porsche-design-edition-2-and-cayman-s-sport-car-news/