What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

After the last couple of days up in Scotland, she had a good clean and a drop of Poorboys

52369665756_a2c5dd62d4_b.jpg

Gotta love poorboys,  used the dry weather this weekend to apply a nice coat of black hole myself 😎

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Good for you. Brakes are a regular  complaint among newbies here - until they stand on them and realize they are better than most cars on the road. 

Newbie here.
Brakes on mine stop great at all speeds, however I've got a bit of pulsing when warm. No judder through steering or pedal but feels as if I'm varying pressure on the pedal, on off, on off until coming to a full stop.
I detected it on the test drive and I thought maybe it was because the car had been sitting for a bit but I've now put 600 miles on and it's still there.
OPC has advised a brake fluid change but I dont think the two are related.
Am I looking at warped discs?

1 hour ago, eob said:

Newbie here.
Brakes on mine stop great at all speeds, however I've got a bit of pulsing when warm. No judder through steering or pedal but feels as if I'm varying pressure on the pedal, on off, on off until coming to a full stop.
I detected it on the test drive and I thought maybe it was because the car had been sitting for a bit but I've now put 600 miles on and it's still there.
OPC has advised a brake fluid change but I dont think the two are related.
Am I looking at warped discs?

Have you checked the inside faces of the discs, they can look perfect though the wheel spokes but be badly corroded on the inside face, a commonly reported issue, or possibly a sticky or stuck piston in the caliper.

Outside:

G3l5gQW.jpg 

Inside: 😱

DJcyEqt.jpg 

2 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

Gotta love poorboys,  used the dry weather this weekend to apply a nice coat of black hole myself 😎

Good stuff it is Si, noticed you have sold your house, where are you going?

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Good stuff it is Si, noticed you have sold your house, where are you going?

Hi matey, my landlord did lol, bit of a shock after being assured he wasn't but hey-ho, anyway, t'other half and myself are in the process of buying a nice detached over on Meir Park.... with a garage....!!!! BOOOM...!!

Nice to hear your little Porker sounding as loud as ever this weekend.........!!!

I committed a schoolboy error the other day when changing the oil and filter. It's a job I've done many times before but for some reason and without thinking about it (and therein lies the problem!) I used a torx bit to undo the sump drain plug, rather than an allen key. It came undone fine but of course when I came to refit the plug and tighten it, it slipped, wrecking the plug.

Fortunately I was able to tap in an appropriate allen key which had enough bite to get it loose again and I had a spare sump plug so it wasn't a major disaster. I just had to carefully clean the drain pan, empty out the fresh oil and then refill it again with the new plug fitted. Doh!!

Trip to Belgium to have the Carnewal GT Exhaust mod done. So happy with the results, sounds amazing.

Not too loud around town but with a definite deeper tone. Open it up above 3500rpm and all hell let’s lose. No drone on the motorway, just a bit louder but OK to live with. 981 exhaust tips fill the rear bumper perfectly.

Really can’t stop smiling and driving………

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ti Rich said:

Trip to Belgium to have the Carnewal GT Exhaust mod done. So happy with the results, sounds amazing.

Not too loud around town but with a definite deeper tone. Open it up above 3500rpm and all hell let’s lose. No drone on the motorway, just a bit louder but OK to live with. 981 exhaust tips fill the rear bumper perfectly.

Really can’t stop smiling and driving………

I have the Carnewal GT exhaust too and agree on all your points. It's a perfect compromise for the car, not too noisy for general city driving, but has a superb tone when driving hard.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:39 PM, ½cwt said:

Have you checked the inside faces of the discs, they can look perfect though the wheel spokes but be badly corroded on the inside face, a commonly reported issue, or possibly a sticky or stuck piston in the caliper.

Outside:

G3l5gQW.jpg 

DJcyEqt.jpg 

I suspect mine are a bit like that. I have new ones just getting round to doing them. Read somewhere it's the shroud being close and holding moisture in. 

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

I suspect mine are a bit like that. I have new ones just getting round to doing them. Read somewhere it's the shroud being close and holding moisture in. 

If you want a hand, bring it round some time!

On 9/19/2022 at 10:39 PM, ½cwt said:

Outside:

G3l5gQW.jpg 

DJcyEqt.jpg 

Jacked it up last night and had a quick look without taking the wheels off (need to get a low profile jack first)
The insides dont seem too bad.
All 4 look pretty much like this:

jCCbGMn.jpg

Edited by eob

2 minutes ago, eob said:

Jacked it up last night and had a quick look without taking the wheels off (need to get a low profile jack first)
The insides dont seem too bad.
All 4 look pretty much like this:

jCCbGMn.jpg

They are fine, but you can just see the corrosion in an outer ring and beginning to speckle into the inner and outer diameters.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gdaybruce said:

I committed a schoolboy error the other day when changing the oil and filter. It's a job I've done many times before but for some reason and without thinking about it (and therein lies the problem!) I used a torx bit to undo the sump drain plug, rather than an allen key. It came undone fine but of course when I came to refit the plug and tighten it, it slipped, wrecking the plug.

Fortunately I was able to tap in an appropriate allen key which had enough bite to get it loose again and I had a spare sump plug so it wasn't a major disaster. I just had to carefully clean the drain pan, empty out the fresh oil and then refill it again with the new plug fitted. Doh!!

Are the standard sump plugs magnetic?
If not is there a recommended magnetic one to fit?

4 hours ago, Dan888 said:

Are the standard sump plugs magnetic?
If not is there a recommended magnetic one to fit?

The plug I mangled was a magnetic one I bought two or three years ago. I replaced it with the original non-magnetic version. 

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

That's a very generous offer but I think it will go into the garage and get the GT3 master cylinder,  braided brakelines and front engine mount done at the same time. All the parts have been gathering dust for a while.....

Not quite up to that lot in one visit anyway.  Should be excellent when you get it back.

• Like 1

6 hours (!) to replace 2 rear exhaust clamps and drivers side of 3 x exhaust flange nuts, bolts and gasket...  Even though 987.2 does not have the notorious press fit studs at the flanges, still a right pain to get the seized rusted lumps of deformed metal off.

Passenger side still to do.. for another day.

NRS1Jco.jpg

x0ZbSGi.jpg

15 hours ago, gillbe said:

6 hours (!) to replace 2 rear exhaust clamps and drivers side of 3 x exhaust flange nuts, bolts and gasket...  Even though 987.2 does not have the notorious press fit studs at the flanges, still a right pain to get the seized rusted lumps of deformed metal off.

Passenger side still to do.. for another day.

NRS1Jco.jpg

x0ZbSGi.jpg

The exhaust flanges is a job I really need to do before winter as they look in a right state.

My late 2007 car has similar looking exhaust flanges to these with what looks like 2mm thick steel with curled around edges on both flanges. Are the studs still just pressed into these or welded at the back? I really don't want to hand this to someone to do to hammer the cr*p out of the studs and ruin the cats.