What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Had KW V3 coilovers fitted, 3 new hubs, full set of drop links and castor thrust arm bushes, bushes plus a full geometry and corner weight setup.

Corners are insane, truly insane. I was never totally happy with the handling on this car and to me didn’t feel planted at speed. I think the 13 yr old suspension was tired and the setup not configurable enough to dial out front end issues. It truly is night and day, corners you’d previously brake for now don’t need any adjustment in speed. The new thrust arm bushes are solid so the feel in the steering wheel is heightened and increases confidence as you have excellent feedback at the wheel. The ride height is lower, only 15mm and the front to back height is tilted forward. This helps to stop the front becoming light and potentially under steering with aggressive corner exit. 

The general ride I would say is better being much more controlled and taught. There’s less pitch or roll and bumps are firm but upset the car less. So firm but not harsh or crashy.. I’m running 18s and did a lot of research into 18 or 19 inch wheels. I found that Boxster/Cayman race series use 18s so thought if it’s good enough for their handling needs then mine are easily catered for.. I expect the additional sidewall height helps to keep traction on our lovely roads too.. 19s do look better though 🙂

Braking pitches the car less and you can feel more predictable and tolerant behaviour. That feeling of bite is amplified and you can push on that with more confidence that you’ve got margin before a tyre is overwhelmed. It’s another plus for confidence.

Beside massive improvements in handling the stance of the car is now more sporty, not pimp my ride and not old skool 3inches around the wheels. You can get your fingers in between the arch and wheel but no more. It looks good and even though it’s not much lower you still feel it when driving.

It was a pricey enough mod but I wanted a great road handling car and I think it’s moved in the right direction with brakes probably being next.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fewtrees said:

Had KW V3 coilovers fitted, 3 new hubs, full set of drop links and castor thrust arm bushes, bushes plus a full geometry and corner weight setup.

Corners are insane, truly insane. I was never totally happy with the handling on this car and to me didn’t feel planted at speed. I think the 13 yr old suspension was tired and the setup not configurable enough to dial out front end issues. It truly is night and day, corners you’d previously brake for now don’t need any adjustment in speed. The new thrust arm bushes are solid so the feel in the steering wheel is heightened and increases confidence as you have excellent feedback at the wheel. The ride height is lower, only 15mm and the front to back height is tilted forward. This helps to stop the front becoming light and potentially under steering with aggressive corner exit. 

The general ride I would say is better being much more controlled and taught. There’s less pitch or roll and bumps are firm but upset the car less. So firm but not harsh or crashy.. I’m running 18s and did a lot of research into 18 or 19 inch wheels. I found that Boxster/Cayman race series use 18s so thought if it’s good enough for their handling needs then mine are easily catered for.. I expect the additional sidewall height helps to keep traction on our lovely roads too.. 19s do look better though 🙂

Braking pitches the car less and you can feel more predictable and tolerant behaviour. That feeling of bite is amplified and you can push on that with more confidence that you’ve got margin before a tyre is overwhelmed. It’s another plus for confidence.

Beside massive improvements in handling the stance of the car is now more sporty, not pimp my ride and not old skool 3inches around the wheels. You can get your fingers in between the arch and wheel but no more. It looks good and even though it’s not much lower you still feel it when driving.

It was a pricey enough mod but I wanted a great road handling car and I think it’s moved in the right direction with brakes probably being next.

I remember taking my 986 in for a suspension refresh and the difference was like night and day, if you drive a Porsche with knackered suspension you may as well not drive a Porsche, your hard earned was well spent. (IMO)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fewtrees said:

Always thought my 987.2 had more to give and was considering this, if you don't mind me asking where did you get it done and how much?

Thanks

Chris

1 hour ago, EVO Chris said:

Always thought my 987.2 had more to give and was considering this, if you don't mind me asking where did you get it done and how much?

Thanks

Chris

Cost was 4k total due to additional parts seized/not coming off the car and needed replacing.

I think the coilovers were 2.5k and the labour was £400

I used Suspension Secrets to do the work and are based in Cheshire nr Knutsford

I always thought this car should punch above its weight in handling terms and now it does, without any doubt at all.. 

36 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

13 years - what mileage, approx?

Mileage is 70k so not excessive but I think the seized parts probably helped accelerate any wear..

I guess there’s other factors like how it’s been driven/kept outside etc..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fewtrees said:

Cost was 4k total due to additional parts seized/not coming off the car and needed replacing.

I think the coilovers were 2.5k and the labour was £400

I used Suspension Secrets to do the work and are based in Cheshire nr Knutsford

I always thought this car should punch above its weight in handling terms and now it does, without any doubt at all.. 

Labour sounds very low. particularly given seized bits!!

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Labour sounds very low. particularly given seized bits!!

Double checked and..

There’s a separate £400 full alignment setup

..and VAT to go on top of the labour..

I think maybe there’s a bit of winning and losing on various parts of the job 🙏

….As long the wheels stay on!

I'm on a roll today. Just finished the HVAC button replacement. Much better.

Also topped up 400ml of oil 🤔 Bloody typical, had just been watching a bore scoring video on YT and noticed that the top segment of the oil indicator had gone down.

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

You've got an S without oil around the RMS you're very much in the minority. Long as it doesn't drip no worries.

No drips. No puffs of blue smoke. No ticking on cold start. 🤞🏻

Got another droplink out and a new spring fitted-one left to go-got the droplink thing sussed now-big stillsons to get it to turn initially,then spin it with an impact gun.

Had to cut the bloody track rod off though-but there is a fair bit of play in the inners so I’m going to do all that too.and the inner front disks are absolutely knackered.

2 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

Got another droplink out and a new spring fitted-one left to go-got the droplink thing sussed now-big stillsons to get it to turn initially,then spin it with an impact gun.

Had to cut the bloody track rod off though-but there is a fair bit of play in the inners so I’m going to do all that too.and the inner front disks are absolutely knackered.

Just done inner and.out rods on my steering. One was suspect but other 2 felt fine, but steering is so much more positive and has better feedback with new components. Mine is a 986, but all parts from Autodoc, inners and outers we're about £159mwith new gaiters and a it of fresh grease on the rack. Well worth it.

39 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just done inner and.out rods on my steering. One was suspect but other 2 felt fine, but steering is so much more positive and has better feedback with new components. Mine is a 986, but all parts from Autodoc, inners and outers we're about £159mwith new gaiters and a it of fresh grease on the rack. Well worth it.

Yep I’m all over autodoc again Chris!

Might as well do it all while I’ve got the bloody car in bits!!

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

What tool did you use for the inners Chris?

Bought an inner tack rod tool off Amazon, a set, so I can do other cars, cost £39, but you can get cheaper universal tools that just grip onto the rod end for £10ish.

85Nm is the torque setting.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:24 PM, eob said:

No drips. No puffs of blue smoke. No ticking on cold start. 🤞🏻

I've noticed mine is very sensitive to how level the car is.
Even a very slight slope and it effects the oil level reported.
Totally level all ok.

• Thanks 1

Properly tested my new front discs for the first time today while doing 60mph on an A road, some idiot with a caravan thought it would be a great time to pull out just as I was approaching him.  I never think the brakes feel that great at slow speeds but they are actually really good at stopping the car quickly from higher speeds.