What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

5 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

The exhaust flanges is a job I really need to do before winter as they look in a right state.

My late 2007 car has similar looking exhaust flanges to these with what looks like 2mm thick steel with curled around edges on both flanges. Are the studs still just pressed into these or welded at the back? I really don't want to hand this to someone to do to hammer the cr*p out of the studs and ruin the cats.

Can't say for 2007 model.  My forward flanges have a circular boss about 6mm high (like a thick washer) welded to the flange that the bolt passes through.

Edited by gillbe
missed end of sentence
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

The exhaust flanges is a job I really need to do before winter as they look in a right state.

My late 2007 car has similar looking exhaust flanges to these with what looks like 2mm thick steel with curled around edges on both flanges. Are the studs still just pressed into these or welded at the back? I really don't want to hand this to someone to do to hammer the cr*p out of the studs and ruin the cats.

On my 2008 they were tightly pressed into the flange. As Mick demonstrated to me if you heat them to a high temperature using an acetylene torch they just fall out. Simples - with the right kit.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, entdgc said:

On my 2008 they were tightly pressed into the flange. As Mick demonstrated to me if you heat them to a high temperature using an acetylene torch they just fall out. Simples - with the right kit.

I had enough trouble removing the stainless bolts the previous owner had fitted-as they used steel nuts that were crumbling-I’d hate to have to try and remove the pressed studs

Had the car at an indy today to diagnose the A/C.

N/S condenser is leaking.

Going to book in for replacement, a service and brake fluid change.

He said that one of the coolant hoses showed corrosion but wasn't leaking but other than that it was "very clean" underneath.

1 minute ago, eob said:

Had the car at an indy today to diagnose the A/C.

N/S condenser is leaking.

Going to book in for replacement, a service and brake fluid change.

He said that one of the coolant hoses showed corrosion but wasn't leaking but other than that it was "very clean" underneath.

What was the recommendation re the coolant hose , “clean it up” or “leave well alone” ?

I'm pleased to report that my car is totally leak free now after removing the transmission earlier in the year and renewing the IMS oil seals.

It's a pleasure to put it on my two post lift and see it bone dry in my workshop at home.

Buying the locking kit to do it was the only major expense but nice to have in my tool collection.

• Like 2

Just now, philw696 said:

I'm pleased to report that my car is totally leak free now after removing the transmission earlier in the year and renewing the IMS oil seals.

It's a pleasure to put it on my two post lift and see it bone dry in my workshop at home.

Buying the locking kit to do it was the only major expense but nice to have in my tool collection.

Sounds a very satisfying bit of DIY.

6 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Sounds a very satisfying bit of DIY.

Been on the Trade 45 years on the tools all the time working for Ford to Maserati and it's taken me around the World so very satisfying.

Have set up a nice 450sq meters workshop up for my own pleasure here in France 53350.

Love my Boxster S and want to keep it perfect.

Have a few other projects on the go including a 1988 Opel Manta GSi a 1976 Renault 16TX to keep me out of mischief.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Philc said:

When i did my exhaust flanges i used an angled blowtorch, using standard propane/butane mix was enough to get the remains of the original studs hot enough to knock them backwards

I7fF6ON.jpg

otuykRn.jpg

That's great info. Those look like similar thin flnges to mine. Are the studs welded at any point or just pressed in? I have a couple of old blow torches but have been looking at a MAPP gas one that I believe will give higher temperature. One with a flexible neck should really help get the heat where it is needed. 

Did you get them into the orange zone and did they need much hammering or just knock out? 

1 minute ago, Codfanglers said:

That's great info. Those look like similar thin flnges to mine. Are the studs welded at any point or just pressed in? I have a couple of old blow torches but have been looking at a MAPP gas one that I believe will give higher temperature. One with a flexible neck should really help get the heat where it is needed. 

Did you get them into the orange zone and did they need much hammering or just knock out? 

Just heated from the flange side until the stud was red, from memory it was only about a minute of gas, i used a small socket over the stud to stop it slipping and it only took a couple of gentle taps, no need to hammer hard. You can see the splines that are pressed into the flange boss, i dont believe they are welded, if they are its only a tack thats probably corroded anyway.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Philc said:

2YhizwG.jpg

Thats another angle

From my experience they are pressed in and there is one very small tack of weld which is easily broken. They pressed out really easily in a vice. Removing the manifolds to do this was a worse option as you may have read all the bolts tend to sheer off in the heads. I would try to get them out in place if you can. Bear in mind though that the Lamda sensors do not respond well to a good bashing. Good Luck!

Drove my 987 down to Sunbury-on-Thames for a minor service by @TROOPER88 at Torque Porsche.

Dropped the car off and Paul recommended brekky @theflowerpotsunbury which was excellent. I had just polished off my scramble eggs on toast and a pot of tea, when I received a text saying the 987 was ready for collection. Luckily the car only needed two new filters, tyre pressure check and of course 7:75 litres of fresh Mobil 1.
The car feels great and @TROOPER88is super friendly and efficient. Here's to this time next year

Edited by driving_james
  • Like 2

Brake fluid flush with dot 4 and Gunson pressure bleeder .

For the past 48 hrs been squirting WD40 penetrating+ release fluid around the two nipples on each caliper .There’s a recces where the fluid sits and soaks in / down .

11 mm ring spanner and they moved quite easily , squired more penetration fluid  backed off each nipple a bit and retighten.Waited 1/2 hr before undoing them one by one starting with the furthest wheel .

Heard / read horror stories of snapped / ceased nipples .This worked .

No recent ( within 5 y ) history of a brake fluid flush in the SH , new to me last April .

Pumped through about 2 L in all for a 0.75 cap system .

Old was very dark , new replacement almost transparent.

While on Jack stands cleaned up and waxoiled the suspension struts and top mounts .Cleaned and lightly waxed the metal brake pipes + there brackets . Also cleaned up and waxed the front cooling pipe joints as best I could and the PAS pipes entering the steering column.All to stretch there life ….hopefully.  

Road test = all good peddle felt firmer .

Under side ready for the winter now as well .

• Like 1

Passenger door rattle fix .

Watched U tube vids on 987 door card removal.

Pretty easy and straightforward inc the inner Al skin .
You just have to be careful with the different loom clips / plugs unplugging them .

Turned out it was from the adjustment screw  ( for vertical) on the rear clamp on the window regulator .It was just loose vibrating in its holder .

You can’t really turn it to tighten as it’s a vertical screw in a housing .

So I just packed sponge material around it .I worked .

Best to disconnect the neg from the bat before with the airbag …just in case ! Nice typical Porsche well thought out and indeed clever  engineering .A few of the outer card push fit fasteners where already broken , so I have a pack of 12 for a fiver off e bay arriving before I re fit the card .

A dealer would want  to fit a new none rattling regulator( £205 genuine)  + 2 hrs Labour + vat .

The vertical screw adjuster of the rear most clamp on the regulator, marked with red arrows was rattling in its housing .

6BA88F09-F8D5-491E-B5DF-1510EF58D537.jpeg

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1