What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Finally got my 15mm spacers on the back. Tried before but one was very tight and I was disinclined to use much force. Just as well I didn't because it turned out I had aftermarket wheel bolts which were wrong. Anyway I got the right bolts and a bigger hammer and they're on.

Amazing the visual difference. After I'd done one side I compared and the side without looked really weedy and undernourished in comparison. Haven't driven it yet - don't expect to feel any difference. Eye candy only.

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Finally got my 15mm spacers on the back. Tried before but one was very tight and I was disinclined to use much force. Just as well I didn't because it turned out I had aftermarket wheel bolts which were wrong. Anyway I got the right bolts and a bigger hammer and they're on.

Amazing the visual difference. After I'd done one side I compared and the side without looked really weedy and undernourished in comparison. Haven't driven it yet - don't expect to feel any difference. Eye candy only.

Pictures!!

Oil and filter change as nearly 12 months and 3,200 miles elapsed since Lee at CPS did it.  DIY on the drive with no surprises.  Reset the dash reminder with iCarsoft.  Changed from Mobil 1 to Mobil Super 3000 X1 on the back of several reccs online for engines that have been a little worn in (96K)

2 x Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40, 5L 

MAHLE OX 366D Oil Filter 

New crush washer.

Total parts £81  

Total new tools £30 (oil drain pan and oil filter wrench)

My engine has always sounded a bit whiney and like the What We Do In The Shadows vampires hissing at one another on overrun.

After feeling the belt idler pulleys when doing the water pump the bearings felt a bit 'dry' but I didn't think they were that bad. 

New serpentine belt and two idler pulleys fitted today. What a difference! The engine is now so quiet!

Unfortunately I can now hear the heat shield rattling on the exhaust.

• Haha 2

Had a small dent about the size of a 5p removed from the top of the passenger side front wing, using PDR "Paint-less Dent Removal" technique.

Work was carried out by Steve (Apex Dent Removal) lovely chap near Verwood in Dorset. Quick, tidy and great value.

6QK4Wi8.jpg

• Like 1

Went for a nice evening drive. The temps are now +12-14, this morning car windows were already frozen... So the season is soon over. I think I'm going to until October until I garage the car. 

I've been thinking of maybe upgrading to a 718, and my neighbour is not helping at all... He just got a stupenduosly beautiful green 718 4.0 Spider.

poag2sh.jpg

Edited by Finbox
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Finbox said:

Went for a nice evening drive. The temps are now +12-14, this morning car windows were already frozen... So the season is soon over. I think I'm going to until October until I garage the car. 

I've been thinking of maybe upgrading to a 718, and my neighbour is not helping at all... He just got a stupenduosly beautiful green 718 4.0 Spider.

poag2sh.jpg

I know the feeling...... you don't need "help" from your friends ( @iborguk ! ) - he recently got this..... 

Great photo by the way.

18 hours ago, Finbox said:

poag2sh.jpg

Happy to share tips and views on 718 ownership so far. I’ve had mine 14 weeks now and I love it.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, cptspaulding said:

Dismantled the washer reservoir to find the failed grommet. Ordered new grommet from Porsche Centre, £13.60. Should arrive on Thursday then the reassembly fun begins. ☺️

Well. Replaced the grommet. All well & good till I put the scooshers on. Still leaking from same point but now I can see it's not the grommet but the pump itself that's leaking.

Grommet was looking perished too so just as well to replace that.

Ah, well. Back to Mr. P's parts dept for a new pump I suppose.

Just now, cptspaulding said:

Well. Replaced the grommet. All well & good till I put the scooshers on. Still leaking from same point but now I can see it's not the grommet but the pump itself that's leaking.

Have a check for aftermarket options.  It is likely to be a common VAG part, not unique to Porsche.

20 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Have a check for aftermarket options.  It is likely to be a common VAG part, not unique to Porsche.

On D911 a Porsche pump is about £80 +VAT, their aftermarket one is about £30 +VAT...

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1