What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Had a major service and new water pump.

I had the major service for my car in the spring and my plan was then just to drive the car for the summer. Good plan, no issues with the car, but lack of time means that I've only done 2000km so far. 

Had a great two hour drive today!

t6xVqC4.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dan888 said:

How much does it cost to have a new water pump fitted?

Around £400 all in I think - I'll check my invoice when I get home and let you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Consider getting the thermostat replaced at the same time as the pump.

I asked Lee about fitting a low temp thermostat at the same time as I had read about that, but he said not really worth it, it only opens things up a little earlier at a lower temperature, and seeing as there is a crack in the main coolant cross pipe that runs from front to back I'm putting the money on that instead.

• Like 1

Low temp 'stat is not really a factor until you are looking at the larger bore 3.4 motor (and even more so in the larger capacity 911 motors) in the 987S from the 2006 model yea onwards.  Received wisdom is getting the cool water flowing earlier can help avoid a hot spot on the cylinder wall that can lead to bore score.  Being gentle on the engine until it is warm also has the same effect...

• Like 1

Used cellulose thinners to remove the 'repairs' to paint chips on my bonnet that someone had done previously. There are sadly quite a few chips and someone had fixed them by dropping a blob of paint into each one. Unfortunately they'd used far more paint than necessary. I had the local detailer go over it with the DA but that didn't solve it so I used a cotton bud soaked in thinners. Quick and easy to do. Coat of black hole and some black wax and it's OK. The chips are still there but you have to look for them now. Some of them are going to need more attention but it's better than it was. 

9 hours ago, Dan888 said:

How much does it cost to have a new water pump fitted?

OEM pump £208 including vat - then add fitting.

• Like 1

DSC Pasm controller sorted today, first one was faulty, out of the box in normal mode the ride was terrible, so attempted to rewrite some parameters, eventually it would not let me write to as device not recognised. This one perfect straight out of the box, very impressive has transformed the PASM

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonSta said:

I might just do that. I know the place. I used to have a tame painter but the blighter naffed off to Spain. For some reason.

I'd be interested to know what the quote is like - my bonnet could do with some attention and there's a couple of other dings from previous owner(s) I wouldn't mind getting improved as well.

16 hours ago, Hainesy said:

I'd be interested to know what the quote is like - my bonnet could do with some attention and there's a couple of other dings from previous owner(s) I wouldn't mind getting improved as well.

Same place did a complete front bumper PU for me for £240 incl VAT and did the rear bumper PU with some repairs for £278 incl VAT but I'd stripped them completely before just handing them the parts so purely prep and paint costs.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, bally4563 said:

DSC Pasm controller sorted today, first one was faulty, out of the box in normal mode the ride was terrible, so attempted to rewrite some parameters, eventually it would not let me write to as device not recognised. This one perfect straight out of the box, very impressive has transformed the PASM

Where did you get it? Is your car a .1?