What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Got my Tiptronic box back into my 3.2S yesterday after having done the IMS seals hopefully get her all finished this morning.

Spending a bit of time cleaning all the underside whilst it's on the two post lift.

Servicing the transmission and repainted the sump pan.

Coming along nicely.

1 minute ago, Greyanglia said:

Replaced the Bosch battery with an identical new one. Bit of a bugger on the poor old back lifting it out though. Any ideas on how to dispose of the old one. Local authority waste dump I assume?

My local dump takes them - just put it in something "spill proof" when transporting

We also have occasional drive by's from shifty looking people in beaten up vans - who are quite happy to take old car batteries (or any scrap metal) - mate of mine is a heating engineer and they seem to follow him around and often ask if they can take radiators or old boilers from places he is working.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

My local dump takes them - just put it in something "spill proof" when transporting

We also have occasional drive by's from shifty looking people in beaten up vans - who are quite happy to take old car batteries (or any scrap metal) - mate of mine is a heating engineer and they seem to follow him around and often ask if they can take radiators or old boilers from places he is working.

or bits off Porsches...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

or bits off Porsches...

Yes - would have likely given them the old discs if they had waited until I actually got them off the car !

Edited by Paul P
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I buy my batteries in “Halfords” and they give a €10 discount when you hand back the old battery. 

Wasn't sure about the quality of their batteries so played safe with the same again in a Bosch. Not too bad a price and next-day free delivery from one of the companies that popped up via a Google search.

1 hour ago, Greyanglia said:

Replaced the Bosch battery with an identical new one. Bit of a bugger on the poor old back lifting it out though. Any ideas on how to dispose of the old one. Local authority waste dump I assume?

My local mechanics garage takes them free, as they get some cash from people who come round and collect them. Worth asking your nearest one.

1 hour ago, Greyanglia said:

Is there a scrapyard/metal recycling place anywhere near you?

They pay around £5 for a big battery-might as well get a fiver for it and less queuing than the council tip

In Project "Fix leaking pipes" .. sub frame refitted.. all the new pipes reinstalled.

IMG_20220630_111025IMG_20220630_111002

Funky new tool tested out, Draper 09544 Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit

IMG_20220630_145558IMG_20220630_152322

Also whilst I was at it did a couple of other small jobs
New "arm" and bracket for head light level sensor. Old one had broken after becoming brittle.

IMG_20220630_111833

Drier/Desicator replaced, along with new O-rings

IMG_20220630_123052

Can't start car just yet, as it's parked on the ramps, on 4 stands, all the wheels off facing front side pointing out of garage. 
Getting there slowly though.

Edited by SpeedyGee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SpeedyGee said:

In Project "Fix leaking pipes" .. sub frame refitted.. all the new pipes reinstalled.

IMG_20220630_111025IMG_20220630_111002

Funky new tool tested out, Draper 09544 Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit

IMG_20220630_145558IMG_20220630_152322

Also whilst I was at it did a couple of other small jobs
New "arm" and bracket for head light level sensor. Old one had broken after becoming brittle.

IMG_20220630_111833

Drier/Desicator replaced, along with new O-rings

IMG_20220630_123052

Can't start car just yet, as it's parked on the ramps, on 4 stands, all the wheels off facing front side pointing out of garage. 
Getting there slowly though.

Where did you get the rod from please ?

Dropped the windows and the passenger side regulator went bang! 

Got window manually up and car locked. Hopefully get it fixed next week. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Dropped the windows and the passenger side regulator went bang! 

Got window manually up and car locked. Hopefully get it fixed next week. 

Trip up to Lee’s then or a bit of DIY? not going to Coppid Beech on Sunday then ?