What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

23 minutes ago, Finbox said:

I changed the steering wheel!  My car had the button PDK wheel, and I never liked the look or the button function that much. I was looking for a replacement with Sport Design wheel, and when one became available used, I bought it. I was contemplating wether to have the OPC or Indy do the work, but in the end after watching a few YT videos decided to do it myself. It was quite simple and took only like 15 minutes. All well and paddles work, but it's not 100% straight (I made a mark in it, but missed my logic) so I have to take it apart tomorrow to straighten it.

The new wheel not only looks better, but the slightly smaller diameter and thickness make it feel a lot sportier and better. The paddles are quite nice too, makes shifting manually with the PDK a pleasure.

igGT5OC.jpg

Looks good but you’ve fitted on the wrong side of the car 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zlac017 said:

Looks good but you’ve fitted on the wrong side of the car 

I did say I got it slightly misalinged!-)

My Boxster, funnily enough, has been built in Stuttgart.

Edited by Finbox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Finbox said:

I changed the steering wheel!  My car had the button PDK wheel, and I never liked the look or the button function that much. I was looking for a replacement with Sport Design wheel, and when one became available used, I bought it. I was contemplating wether to have the OPC or Indy do the work, but in the end after watching a few YT videos decided to do it myself. It was quite simple and took only like 15 minutes. All well and paddles work, but it's not 100% straight (I made a mark in it, but missed my logic) so I have to take it apart tomorrow to straighten it.

The new wheel not only looks better, but the slightly smaller diameter and thickness make it feel a lot sportier and better. The paddles are quite nice too, makes shifting manually with the PDK a pleasure.

igGT5OC.jpg

The best wheel IMHO...

• Like 1

Retired mine from the daily grind. Bought a cheapish car to tackle the daily commute. Had been putting just over 1000 miles a month on the Boxster. Covered 32k miles in about 2 years, 5 months. Time for it to have a well earned rest. Purely for pleasure now 👍👍

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 11:21 PM, Paul P said:

Not really today but more this weekend.  800 ish miles round trip to Le Mans.  

A mellow drive, no cannonball wannabe BS - chunk of time on cruise - 2.5 tanks of fuel and a great weekend away from “real life”

Collected a kilo of fly road kill, and never bested in the toll booth standing quarter.  

probably 15 or 20 times I have been to the race.  And despite being on 3rd Porsche - 1st time in a “P” car

Porsche experience centre at the track was a welcome bar/restaurant/bog diversion.  Show your key and in you go. 

Fek that I'm taking my Ferrari KEY to any future shows.

Most tracksuits have a little pocket that's ideal for storing it.

• Confused 1

Today I adjusted the steering twice to get it centered properly (it's still on the left though...). Once you know how to do it, it's a five minute job. I've also learnt that the airbag should go in very easy, if it's sticking, one of the wires is in the wrong place.

I went for quick drive down the country roads and it might be placebo, but the car feels better to drive with the slightly smaller and thicker wheel. It's really spot on for this car. Very happy with this upgrade, and the cost was only 300-400€ when taking into account what I'll get from the sale of the old wheel.

Edited by Finbox

4 hours ago, Finbox said:

Today I adjusted the steering twice to get it centered properly (it's still on the left though...). Once you know how to do it, it's a five minute job. I've also learnt that the airbag should go in very easy, if it's sticking, one of the wires is in the wrong place.

I went for quick drive down the country roads and it might be placebo, but the car feels better to drive with the slightly smaller and thicker wheel. It's really spot on for this car. Very happy with this upgrade, and the cost was only 300-400€ when taking into account what I'll get from the sale of the old wheel.

I actually prefer a thinner wheel-everything these days seems to have a thick wheel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

I actually prefer a thinner wheel-everything these days seems to have a thick wheel.

It's great that there is an option for that too, I understand the the thicker wheel is not everyone's preference.

Just home from a two hour drive back from Wales, with the top down all the way. It was so hot that my phone went into heat overload and refused to charge! I presume it’s because it’s a black phone and was in full sunlight, but I’ve never had that before. 28C was the peak temperature on the dash display.

• Like 1

Had my new Pioneer head unit installed to replace the 10yr old head unit that didn’t have Apple CarPlay.

This one has wireless CarPlay and i can now actually hear the music with the roof down on the motorway, just need to figure out the best settings for it now.

13 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Do you have Bose, if so does the rear speaker work….mine does not!

I don’t have Bose and don’t think it ever did but my rear speakers do work.

There’s a receipt in the folder from a previous owner in 2012 for the system I just removed, £1550 which I imagine was a significant investment back then considering I bought my 944 S2 in 2013 for £50 less than that!

I need to work out all the settings, there’s settings for front and rear speakers, subwoofer and there’s also a JL Audio XD600 amplifier in the front.

On 6/19/2022 at 1:37 PM, bally4563 said:

Bit the bullet and ordered a DSC , get the most from the PASM….. Will report back once fitted!

As mentioned now fitted, and what a revelation especially sports mode, I could drive it all the time in that mode. In normal I would say it’s a little harsher but not uncomfortably so. Fitting instructions for the tri axial accelerometer are pants, for the live feed tells you to splice a wire in the loom red with a grey trace, this I did , went up the road , thought shyate what have I done!! Like a bucking bronco, came back and checked no live , found a live , wired that and the transformation commenced….phew!!

Getting the two rather rusted pipe support brackets off was a bit of hassle, the bolt head on the underside just sheared off, despite me taking it easy, loosening, tighten, loosening, tightening etc

IMG_20220629_093207

So I cut most of the bracket off, just leaving the square nut. I then got my MIG welder out and welded the sqaure but to the bolt, and got mole grip on there and unscrewed it. Luckily it put up no further fight. 

IMG_20220629_093357IMG_20220629_102035

Edited by SpeedyGee