What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 4/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, earley231186 said:

What most people frown upon, I added weight, put sound deadening Dynamat in the doors. 

Was fixing the missing seals romprevent wet door carpet, so while I was there I added in the sound proofing. 

Doors sound a little better now when shutting. No longer have that tinr rattle to them. 

Is it difficult/dangerous taking the door cards off? I want to repaint the door handle backing plates as they have a few scratches. Centre console too. Reckon body colour ( basalt)

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

Is it difficult/dangerous taking the door cards off? I want to repaint the door handle backing plates as they have a few scratches. Centre console too. Reckon body colour ( basalt)

The door cards are a bugger to get off. I would order some new clips before you start. Tightest fitting door cards I've encountered!

Driving to work this morning needed to use my skooshers. Nothing happened. Checked it at work. Skoosher tube off. Water all over battery and tray. Also found this connector with the grey plug disconnected. Looks like Autoglass didn't do that good a job after all. Anyone know what the wiring at the connector is for? It's just to the LHS of the battery.

IMG20220501095920

18 hours ago, Chris D said:

Cleaned and re-tightened drive shaft bolts. All loose 😳. Torqued to 60 ft lb and marked up. 

Fitted oem headers. 

Glad you posted this. Made me think about the torque and I've discovered the 3.2 (or 6 speed box versions) have an M10 driveshaft bolt at 81Nm/60lbft.  On the 987 all these bolts are M10 e but p986 2.5 and 2.7 with 5 speed have M8 at only 39Nm/29lbft.  I've only done my 3.2's bolts to 39Nm so I know one urgent job for tomorrow even though I've had no problems over the last 15 months. 👍

Edited by ½cwt

On 4/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, Finbox said:

Got my Boxster out of the winter hibernation and took it for a drive! I had the battery removed all winter and car had stood for six months. I used a CTEK battery tender about once a month on the battery and battery showed good health. I plugged the battery in, turned the key and the car started! All I had to do was the window regulation and I got the PSM message, which cleared once I got out of the garage. Oh boy it was fun driving it!

However, I have one more issue. When first starting I got "Fault headlight control" or similar. My car has the PDSL Xenons, and I noticed that the light do not turn as they did before. I need to check the fuse, and if it's not that, I need to get the OPC to check it.

I can’t imagine not driving mine for six months!!

I’m itching to use it all the time -although I loathe having to use it if there is salt on the road and avoid if I can

also dont bother if it’s not going to get properly warmed up though-no point

Edited by And.rs1800

1 hour ago, Del_tl1000r said:

Driving to work this morning needed to use my skooshers. Nothing happened. Checked it at work. Skoosher tube off. Water all over battery and tray. Also found this connector with the grey plug disconnected. Looks like Autoglass didn't do that good a job after all. Anyone know what the wiring at the connector is for? It's just to the LHS of the battery.

IMG20220501095920

Skoosher ?

assuming windscreen washer - if that connector is related then it will be the heated washer jets I assume. 

Leather on the drivers seat base has been slightly saggy and bothering me for ages.  Read a tip to use a hot air gun on the leather - and what do you know - 5mins later it was tightened up and looking good as new!  Really neat little trick - annoyed I didn't take a before and after photo!

Have got a Clyde's Leathercare kit to touch up the colour on the bolster to try next.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, Del_tl1000r said:

IMG20220501095920

...not too sure i like the use of the word "skoosher" if you know what i mean......:)

On 5/1/2022 at 10:59 PM, Hainesy said:

Leather on the drivers seat base has been slightly saggy and bothering me for ages.  Read a tip to use a hot air gun on the leather - and what do you know - 5mins later it was tightened up and looking good as new!  Really neat little trick - annoyed I didn't take a before and after photo!

Have got a Clyde's Leathercare kit to touch up the colour on the bolster to try next.

...more detail please as i too have slightly "baggy" seat bases.

2 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

...more detail please as i too have slightly "baggy" seat bases.

So it wasn't this video specifically but it demonstrates it in action, about 2m30 in: 

Essentially you just waved the heat gun back and forth (don't keep it in same place so it doesn't burn the leather), took about 3 or 4 mins to become perfectly tight again.

Edited by Hainesy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hainesy said:

So it wasn't this video specifically but it demonstrates it in action, about 2m30 in: 

Essentially you just waved the heat gun back and forth (don't keep it in same place so it doesn't burn the leather), took about 3 or 4 mins to become perfectly tight again.

Interesting technique but I wonder how long the improvement will last?

Let us know...

...or what effect it has on the internal structure of the leather?

We know if we wash clothes they get a little tighter, not sure of the mechanical process. I think of socks. By comparison, we know if we heat plastic chairs, the colour comes back but then they become really brittle, so you gain on the aesthetics but lose on the material strength and thus structural integrity.

A question for @red rocket ? Ever heard of heating leather to make it tighter?

On 5/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, Del_tl1000r said:

Driving to work this morning needed to use my skooshers. Nothing happened. Checked it at work. Skoosher tube off. Water all over battery and tray. 

1 hour ago, skoosh1970 said:

...not too sure i like the use of the word "skoosher" if you know what i mean......:)

Does your wife know your tube fell off and you can't spray any more?

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

...or what effect it has on the internal structure of the leather?

We know if we wash clothes they get a little tighter, not sure of the mechanical process. I think of socks. By comparison, we know if we heat plastic chairs, the colour comes back but then they become really brittle, so you gain on the aesthetics but lose on the material strength and thus structural integrity.

Next time I see a cow with saggy looking skin I'll sneak up on it and try it out. Which makes me wonder if this also works on people.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Yes and no. Heat is used in the manufacturing processes of various products  e.g. gloves, shoes etc. to 'set' the leather in the required form/shape. In gloves it's also used to achieve a shine on the surface. So in principle heat is not necessarily a problem. However care needs to be taken. In the case of upholstery which, in cars, always has a surface coating, you have to be careful not to overheat it and damage the finish, and in addition too much heat would damage the fibres making the leather brittle.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JonSta said:

I'm still gonna try it though. On my seat. Car seat. 

That's a bit of a minor miracle. Now my driver's seat looks better than my passenger one. Do that one later. Don't know how long it will last or whether it should be done more than once. Good trick to do if you're selling a car....

Went to the OPC to get a service quote for major service (spark plugs, alternator belt etc) and full PDK -service including both oil changes. I got around £1600 quote for it, it's actually not much more than the independent workshops and the OPC is most convenient location for me - I booked it. The car is running fine, but I hope I'll get some peace of mind for this. ;)

• Like 1