What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

17 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Out of interest what does the GT3 MC swap out bring to the party ? 
Just bled mine and flushed  as couldn’t see it recently in the history .The peddle is firmer , but not as firm as the Macan or a Bentley GT , the latter the best brakes I have had , but they were built by VAG to halt a 2 2/2 ton missile 0-60 in 4.2 secs from 200 mph …..and well up to the job .

The lighter  13-1400 kg boxster brakes are good and progressive not complaining , normal road use but I feel there’s headroom for improvement having driven other VAG products.?? 

You go from a 22mm bore to 27 mm bore

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Out of interest what does the GT3 MC swap out bring to the party ? 
Just bled mine and flushed  as couldn’t see it recently in the history .The peddle is firmer , but not as firm as the Macan or a Bentley GT , the latter the best brakes I have had , but they were built by VAG to halt a 2 2/2 ton missile 0-60 in 4.2 secs from 200 mph …..and well up to the job .

The lighter  13-1400 kg boxster brakes are good and progressive not complaining , normal road use but I feel there’s headroom for improvement having driven other VAG products.?? 

Depends on what you want to feel from your brakes. If the GT3 MC is 27mm bore compared to standard 22mm, the pedal with the larger bore cylinder will need 50% more force applying to it to create the same pressure on the "standard" caliper pistons, but slightly less pedal travel which may make the brakes feel a bit firmer.

The larger bore GT3 MC would have been designed to work with larger caliper piston CSA and to many people, using it with the smaller standard calipers and no extra servo assistance would make the brakes feel "worse".

17 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

Depends on what you want to feel from your brakes. If the GT3 MC is 27mm bore compared to standard 22mm, the pedal with the larger bore cylinder will need 50% more force applying to it to create the same pressure on the "standard" caliper pistons, but slightly less pedal travel which may make the brakes feel a bit firmer.

The larger bore GT3 MC would have been designed to work with larger caliper piston CSA and to many people, using it with the smaller standard calipers and no extra servo assistance would make the brakes feel "worse".

Agree with above, thus more suitable to an S than a 2.7 or 2.9 as the S has larger caliper pistons.

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

And yet bizarrely there is no visible difference including part numbers. 

997 355 910 00 (standard 987 or ending 40 for PSM)) looks different to 997 355 910 31 (997 C4S, Turbo and GT3) to me.  It is only a variant of the same casting though I imagine, hence it only being a variant number different.

I case 986 owners want to know the 996 GTS number is 996 355 910 50, ending 00 is standard for non PSM and ending 40 for PSM.

21 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Nice pics as always , somewhere near South of the End ?

I'm in Southend, start point was in South Woodham ferries, and then we drove though stow mares, cold Norton, Latchingdon and ended up in bradwurst on sea (or something that sounds like that 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Medic-one said:

I'm in Southend, start point was in South Woodham ferries, and then we drove though stow mares, cold Norton, Latchingdon and ended up in bradwurst on sea (or something that sounds like that 😁

Some of the nice parts of the county-I did a lot of work in cold Norton last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Agree with above, thus more suitable to an S than a 2.7 or 2.9 as the S has larger caliper pistons.

Definitely firms up the pedal and no disrespect to a further comment, basic hydraulics  pie d2 over 4 multiple by pressures gives you more area over the annular area of the cylinder hence more force with less pressure. Nuff said!!

27 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Definitely firms up the pedal and no disrespect to a further comment, basic hydraulics  pie d2 over 4 multiple by pressures gives you more area over the annular area of the cylinder hence more force with less pressure. Nuff said!!

Should of added will not make one jot of difference on what calipers you are using it’s all about what’s happening on the pedal, less force = more 

Bigger master cylinders give a more instant pedal feel but require more pedal force to brake the car.

Quote “One of the most common misconceptions is that a larger master cylinder will create more pressure. While a larger master cylinder creates a larger displacement, it takes more force to create the same pressure as a smaller bore. While a larger master cylinder will take up system slack with less pedal stroke, it will take more force to create the same system pressure. The result after adding the larger master cylinder is a harder pedal which needs much more pedal pressure to create the same amount of braking force. For instance, moving from a 3/4" master cylinder to a 1" requires 77.7% more force on the push rod.”

https://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.html

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Should of added will not make one jot of difference on what calipers you are using it’s all about what’s happening on the pedal, less force = more 

Pedal pressure to caliper piston pressure is an area relationship surely?  Less travel to achieve same fluid pressure, but a higher pedal pressure. 

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

50% more cross sectional area of the master cylinder = 50% more (pedal) force required to create the same (hydraulic) pressure in the brake system. 

Basic physics.

3 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Totally disagree it’s all about displacement requiring less force

As regarding basics physics , “ the exuberance of youth has no match for the resilience of experience “

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

As regarding basics physics , “ the exuberance of youth has no match for the resilience of experience “

Or should I say try a standard master cylinder against the larger/ better GT3 one, answers on a postcard those that have done it…. Again nuff said!

On 10/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, cptspaulding said:

MOT'd again. New rear discs, pads, sensors, handbrake shoes, & handbrake freed up. £274 + £160 labour +£54 MOT. 

New rear tyres an advisory. Hey ho. It's going to be a quiet Xmas this year.

Interested to hear what prompted you to change the handbrake shoes or ifit was just part of the brake service.

My handbrake comes up around 5 or 6 clicks and is solid, but it doesn't hold the car very well on a slope.

1 minute ago, eob said:

Interested to hear what prompted you to change the handbrake shoes or ifit was just part of the brake service.

My handbrake comes up around 5 or 6 clicks and is solid, but it doesn't hold the car very well on a slope.

This can easily be adjusted either at the lever end under the console or with the adjusters in the brake shoe assembly (the latter requires a flat blade screwdriver to work the mechanism through one of the wheel bolt holes in the hub and ca be a bit fiddly) and I find in my 986 when parking on a slope I need to apply an extra click to get the necessary braking when parking.  Also apply the hand brake fully after taking your foot off the brake pedal.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, eob said:

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 11.43.36

• Thanks 2

Got my MOT done finally!!

what a relief- emissions were spot on with my new Topgear exhaust.the original exhaust was like a patchwork quilt and failed on high lambda reading.

and I got a refund from PayPal for the terrible toyosport exhaust that simply was never ever going to fit.

😀

On 10/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, eob said:

Now have working AC, fresh brake fluid and new oil.

Got both condensers replaced even though it was only the N/S which was punctured. Made sense as the front of the car was in bits. Lovely cool air...just in time for winter. 😄

All of the bleed nipples were seized but luckily they were able to get them loose without snapping them. The rear outers were painted over, which means the calipers have been refurbished at some point so they were replaced. Brake lines have been upgraded to stainless too.

The weeping oil filter housing seems to have been caused by the oild filter cartridge being installed upside down. While I was grateful for the seller for getting me an oil change there was something at the back of my mind that thought that

a) He either didn't actually get the oil changed and it was just part of the sales pitch or

b) would have used a place unfamiliar with Porsches (his inventory was all grocery getters).

They also replaced the sump plug which had previously been rounded out. The crush washer was also seized to the sump.

So all in all at least I now have piece of mind. 🤞🏻

Discussed the Carnewal exhaust upgrade and Geo was saying that because the 987.1 is getting to a certain age, the stock exhausts are getting past their usable life and more often than not the ones sent to Gert can't be used so apparently he is in discussions with a fabricator to make a stailess steel single cat unit.
I'm very keen to get this upgrade so will hopefully have something in place before "driving season" next year.

Next thing to do is get the dry rotted Bridgestones replaced by some MPS4s.

Its been an expensive couple of weeks. 😣

I'm thinking about an exhaust upgrade also. Had a carnewal on may last 3.4 .1 - loved it - but the exhaust on my current one is a little bent so probably will go replacement this time. Maybe Spyder valved one... unsure