What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Also an indication of how 'summer' tyres get in sub zero temps...  Even the normally good and grippy Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2s I have fitted are pretty poor at the moment.

From memory - notoriously unreliable - the PS4s on the last one - exact same car - were way better*

*not financial advice 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:32 PM, Obela said:

Would love to read a “how to” section about this :) 

With photos if you’ve got any! ;) 

I’ll try and find the thread from 911uk. I only took a few photos. 
mom terrible when it comes to electronics but was able to follow the write up - made my own voltage divider and ordered a ‘latching’ relay from eBay. Then had to buy the switch panel - I’d say to add the OEM switch cost me an extra £100 in total but having it look ‘factory’ instead of messing with plasticky fobs is so worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Macus said:

I’ll try and find the thread from 911uk. I only took a few photos. 
mom terrible when it comes to electronics but was able to follow the write up - made my own voltage divider and ordered a ‘latching’ relay from eBay. Then had to buy the switch panel - I’d say to add the OEM switch cost me an extra £100 in total but having it look ‘factory’ instead of messing with plasticky fobs is so worth it. 

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1249875&sid=830af855448cfef14414306dec5c5779

here is the thread. I think I have a few PDFs showing the wiring of the latching relay too. 

After a lot of recommendations and reading reviews I booked a visit to Center Gravity on Wednesday afternoon to get alignment done on my 987 2.7 as the car felt heavy to drive and not particularly fast.  After drive and inspection by Chris he found it needed 2 Coffin arms, 2 front bump stops and 2 inner rod ends. So even though it was now 4.30pm, Chris & Pete did a fantastic job to replace all parts, do the alignment to be finished by 7pm.  Test drive on completion was a revelation - the steering is lighter, car feels more secure and a lot faster / sportier.  I’m so pleased I listened to the advise and went to Center Gravity.

• Like 4

Read a note left on it to say some doofus has driven into it.  One deep scratch and some scuffing.  Will need painting and new indicator lense but no dent.

On the plus side, at least they fessed up and left their details.  They’ve agreed to pay to get it fixed if I get quotes.

Merry Christmas!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ricof said:

Well the MOT passed but the NSF to OSF brake lines need replacing, been quoted nominal parts plus around six hours labour, does this sound right? Apparently the fuel tank needs to be removed?!

@bally4563 @Paul P ??

18 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I think they have given themselves a little latitude on the hours, just in case factor, they are going to have to drop the subframe, so yeh probably about right

No 1st hand of this particular job - but I would have thought subframe drop rather than tank removal would be the way in, never heard of the tank coming out before - unless they are trying to mitigate needing alignment. I agree with @bally4563 I think it's an estimate with some contingency built in.

I would consider what else might be prudent to do while they are in there (coolant pipes  perhaps ).

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

No 1st hand of this particular job - but I would have thought subframe drop rather than tank removal would be the way in, never heard of the tank coming out before - unless they are trying to mitigate needing alignment. I agree with @bally4563 I think it's an estimate with some contingency built in.

I would consider what else might be prudent to do while they are in there (coolant pipes  perhaps ).

Fortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it...) the coolant pipes were done a couple of years ago. 

On 11/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, Takahashi said:

got my insurance renewal through, happy as its dropped £60 to £166 fully comp

happy with that

Funnily enough, just insured mine with Churchill too @ £207 fully comp for the year. Worth noting that's with my Mrs on the policy. Taking my Mrs off the named drivers added £40 to the premium! 😐

6 hours ago, craigjam said:

Fitted two new gas struts to the frunk, after getting tired of being bonked on the head every time I opened it.

Wow didn't realise how worn out mine were!

Were your's noisy?

I have a creak upon first opening the frunk lid despite greasing everything.
the struts are holding fine though.

6 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

Funnily enough, just insured mine with Churchill too @ £207 fully comp for the year. Worth noting that's with my Mrs on the policy. Taking my Mrs off the named drivers added £40 to the premium! 😐

Same here. I'm with Admiral. Adding my partner dropped the premium despite her stating that she never wants to drive it lest she ding it or kerb an alloy.
A win win in my book. :thumbsup_still:

Edited by eob
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 3:44 PM, cptspaulding said:

really???!?? may add her to the policy then, shes not on it atm!

Mate of a mate took 280 off the premium on his rs focus but putting his 78 year old mum on the policy.  

Apparently it raises the average age of the drivers and is something that you can use for teen drivers to reduce their premiums - put mum dad, aunty and grandma on the policy.  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, Paul P said:

Mate of a mate took 280 off the premium on his rs focus but putting his 78 year old mum on the policy.  

Apparently it raises the average age of the drivers and is something that you can use for teen drivers to reduce their premiums - put mum dad, aunty and grandma on the policy.  

My 18yr old son reduced his by around £800 by putting his brother on who’s a learner!

49 minutes ago, 944GS said:

My 18yr old son reduced his by around £800 by putting his brother on who’s a learner!

Goes to show, no rhyme or reason to insurance actuarial tables....