What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

20 hours ago, JonSta said:

Just under 70k. I just bought the insert which was around £30. Lemforder. Think it came off ebay. Took the guy about an hour - he'd never done one before. At least he didn't have to disconnect the cooling pipes.

70 to 90k miles and around 15 to 18 years old seems to be about the life given when people have said they needed to change them on 986s and 987s.  Easy for a pro with a press to do the bush only and a fairly easy DIY job too if you do the assembly.

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Put my ballybar© back on and had the alignment done. Car feels superb. Superber. Can't remember what I changed that the alignment needed doing but whatever. The ballybar© came off when I was looking for a mystery noise. The noise wasn't the bar.

@bally4563

The display on my CDR24 went yesterday. It had been playing up for a while. I found a YouTube video (in Portugese, but Google lens translate helped to give me most of what was going on) where someone took theirs apart and found a corroded contact between the faceplate and the rest of the circuitry.

I figured it was that or £700 of replacement head unit and fitting kit, so with a sense of “what the hell, just have a go” I pulled the head unit out, prised open the metal box that held all the circuitry, cleaned all the pins and contacts to the faceplate (cleaned the blood off every surface: bloody sharp that box!) and put it back in. And it worked :) 

Proper chuffed with myself.

Link in case it helps anyone else

• Like 5

My CDR display was blank since when I had my car. The one day I was sat in the car thinking this issue is due to the pins not contacting properly so what happens if I bang on the front of the display. 

So I went ahead and did just that! I kid you not, the screen came fully alive and has been on ever since!

I was super chuffed with myself for that easy win 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SpeedyGee said:

My CDR display was blank since when I had my car. The one day I was sat in the car thinking this issue is due to the pins not contacting properly so what happens if I bang on the front of the display. 

So I went ahead and did just that! I kid you not, the screen came fully alive and has been on ever since!

I was super chuffed with myself for that easy win 😂

I wish I’d thought of that.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Adrian Reeve said:

Bought a proper drying cloth - game changer! Can’t believe I didn’t get one years ago, been suffering with water marks from using a chamois - should have read the Washing and cleaning forum before now…. 😁😁

They still make chamois leathers ??? My drying towels cost more than my other half's fluffy bath towels lol ...got a BigBoi dryer now but still use the towels.

Got a snapped gear cable!! Gone whilst sitting in the garage so dodged a bullet there. Must of been on the way out and with me disturbing it during the clutch change sent it over the edge!! Going to replace both with the uprated Numeric cables , all stripped out and ready for when the parts arrive.

Hi All,

I managed to refit the 987 IMS cover after the bolt tried to make a break for it into the shaft last week.

I managed to get hold of a long M10 nut and drilled it out halfway with a 10.75mm drill to tap a M12 x 1.25 thread.  Wound it on and eased it back into position with a puller...happy days.  I was a tad concerned I have to admit.

Clutch back on and now rebuilding the struts and coils etc.

I have a snazzy gearbox jack to refit the big lump thanks to Mick @bally4563 so the back end can be finished soon...ish!

Cheers for now,

Mike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 56split said:

Hi All,

I managed to refit the 987 IMS cover after the bolt tried to make a break for it into the shaft last week.

I managed to get hold of a long M10 nut and drilled it out halfway with a 10.75mm drill to tap a M12 x 1.25 thread.  Wound it on and eased it back into position with a puller...happy days.  I was a tad concerned I have to admit.

Clutch back on and now rebuilding the struts and coils etc.

I have a snazzy gearbox jack to refit the big lump thanks to Mick @bally4563 so the back end can be finished soon...ish!

Cheers for now,

Mike.

Good save!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, Adrian Reeve said:

Bought a proper drying cloth - game changer! Can’t believe I didn’t get one years ago, been suffering with water marks from using a chamois - should have read the Washing and cleaning forum before now…. 😁😁

I still like to use demon shine after drying just to get rid of any final water marks and boost the shine a little.

drying towels are a game changer though!

• Like 1

I drove 267 miles round trip yesterday to visit my brother in Bath. It cost me £79.80 in Esso Supreme Unleaded. The car performed faultlessly & I wasn't hanging around - no stops in either direction.

Today, I washed it.

• Like 1

Got the manual gearbox refitted to the 2.7 today. Job went well, no swearing or knuckle rash...probably due to the use of the gearbox jack kindly lent to me by @bally4563, thanks Mick.

Oh, I also sheared the bolt holding the brake pipe bracket onto the front brake carrier and failed completely thus far to get the pinch bolt out....on both sides. The fronts are supposed to be easier! but we're not talking about that, focus on the gearbox.

Have a great weekend all,

Mike.