What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You are picking the hard jobs at the moment Mick!

This last one was not by choice they are brittle as hell managed to crack mine when re routing the numeric gear cables 

Removed the headlights, gave them a polish, fitted 35w/5000k HIDs.

Lots more light but the same beam pattern as the halogens. Went for a spin and got a bulb warning for the offside main beam - pulled the unit and discovered I’d bent one of the contacts in the plug. Straightened it out and all good. There’s room enough for the ballasts and igniters inside the headlight unit, but I think a periodic check that nothing’s over heating would be a smart idea.

Silicone lube on the pivots etc for good measure - they were a bit stiff to get out.

Also replaced the driver’s side sun visor with a slightly less droopy one.

21 hours ago, Adrian Reeve said:

Made a start on the crossover pipes. Fiddly but not difficult, about 2 hours to get everything out, now need to clean it all up before putting it back together again!

ULfl5iF.jpg

Could you tell us a bit more about the process, Adrian. I'm looking to do this in the summer on my car and a friend's 911.

23 hours ago, Adrian Reeve said:

Made a start on the crossover pipes. Fiddly but not difficult, about 2 hours to get everything out, now need to clean it all up before putting it back together again!

ULfl5iF.jpg

1 hour ago, The Caped Crusader said:

Could you tell us a bit more about the process, Adrian. I'm looking to do this in the summer on my car and a friend's 911.

If you took a few more pics whilst doing it, may be do a write up for the How To section? @Adrian Reeve

Went over it with a clay bar. Amazing how smooth it is afterwards... no pics as I CBA :lol:

"What Didn't I do to my 987 today?" - Fit my new centre caps as despite ordering them a week ago, still not here yet. 😡

Think next time I will just go to Ali Express.

All well and good blaming Royal Mail for being slow but the Oil Filter I ordered Sunday night got delivered today.... by Royal Mail.

Repaired the worn paint on the 987 roof gutters today.

An ill fitting top had worn the paint away on one side so I resprayed the gutters.  I found a textured paint solution which looks great.

Gave the interior a clean and vacuum as well...getting close to being driveable now...first stop the painters to borrow their oven to spray the bumpers and clam shell......nervous I am.

Felt guilty so vacuumed the passat as well.

Does anyone know what the paint colour code is for the grey air intakes/fog light housing on the front bumper?

Cheers all.

7 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

I used this guide as a start, but didn’t drain the whole system, just the front half. Happy to go through more detail if you need?

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/download.axd?file=0;1083805

6 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Yeah, I wont be going back thats for sure.

Classic case of a third party carrier damaging the reputation of a small business.  ☹️

20 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Yeah, I wont be going back thats for sure.

Have you let the supplier know?

I can tell you that couriers are a total nightmare, occasionally we would get someone complaining weeks later that something hadn't arrived which made life very difficult for us. Since we had a next day service they should have let us know after a couple of days and we could chase the courier or send out a replacement. Something that small could be left somewhere as well, the supplier could quiz the courier and sometimes there is a picture of where they left it.

I am not going to comment further on the forum on the subject, I know where the issue lies on this one.

Anyway, thread back on track. Today I have dyed the scuffed seat edge, fitted the aforementioned wheel centre caps, restuck the rear number plate on and had to drive to work to pick up a parcel.

• Like 1

Went out to move the car today and found it was completely dead when trying to start.  I’d driven over 30 miles yesterday so was a bit worried that it wasn’t just a flat battery.  Luckily for me my wife had bought me a Ctek MXS 7.0 for Christmas that I’d not got round to opening yet so I plugged that into the cigarette lighter, went back less than 3hrs later and there was enough power to start the car, I’ve now left it on to finish its charging.

While plugging it in I think I’ve found the cause, the passenger seat was fully reclined which I thought was a bit odd but looks like the dogs towel that he’d been sitting on yesterday had gone down the side of the seat and engaged the power recline button so it’s been running all night, thankfully it still works so doesn’t look like it’s done any permanent damage but something for me to look out for in the future.

Quite impressed by the Ctek, I’ve no idea how it actually charges the battery from the cigarette lighter but very happy that it does!

31 minutes ago, 944GS said:

While plugging it in I think I’ve found the cause, the passenger seat was fully reclined which I thought was a bit odd but looks like the dogs towel that he’d been sitting on yesterday had gone down the side of the seat and engaged the power recline button so it’s been running all night, thankfully it still works so doesn’t look like it’s done any permanent damage but something for me to look out for in the future.

On my 986 if the seat back is run against the stop other than briefly, it blows the 30A fuse!