Vehicle tax and DVLC

Tim with 987

From the early 2000s VED started to be emissions linked and gets quite eye watering on some big off roaders.  Along with the duty imposed at registration there are some rather large collections made by DVLA/HMRC on various higher emissions vehicles regardless of whether they are Euro 4, Euro 5 or Euro 6 complaint.

4 hours ago, Tim with 987 said:

I have a Boxster 987 2008 Tiptronic

My vehicle tax reminder is £675 for 12 months

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Yep - you are in the mad tax zone for cars registered between Mar 2006 and 2009 - gen2 cars are £365

The two contradict.

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Yep - you are in the mad tax zone for cars registered between Mar 2006 and 2009 - gen2 cars are £365

TBC my 2008 car (Gen1 obviously) is in the lower tax bracket but is also manual. I am guessing tiptronic is worse performing on emissions.

3 minutes ago, entdgc said:

TBC my 2008 car (Gen1 obviously) is in the lower tax bracket but is also manual. I am guessing tiptronic is worse performing on emissions.

This page is quite good for all the different variables

https://www.parkers.co.uk/porsche/boxster/roadster-2004/car-tax/

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the measurement that triggers VED is "at a certain speed" - and because of the spread of ratio's that speed is "too slow" for 6th, but is "higher revs in 5th" than a 5 speed would be if that make sense.

675-365= £310.

/151p/l = 205 litres. 

If a top-up from near empty is 51 litres, that's 4 tanks of fuel over the year, or one fill-up every 3 months. Or one fancy meal out every 3 months.

Cost of sale of car and replacing it with a 2009 model - probably at least 3k, plus 1-2k for tidying.

Man maths.

• Like 2

Agree, I get taxed enough so they can feck off if they think they are getting another £300 a year out of me with no additional benefit.

It's ridiculous, when I was having some fun with the car swapping, I looked at a C70 for £1200, on the higher tax bracket. They were really struggling to sell it as no one wanted to pay over 50% of its value for 1 year's road tax. Yes, the ratio may be less in higher value cars today, but they are all depreciating and will become a factor for buyers as the prices drop

Edited by Mattman42