What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Made some grilles to give the radiators a bit off protection. Looked at Zunnsports but I couldn't see any to fit the facelift bumpers & didn't like them stuck on the outside along with the high price. Mesh was around £15 posted then 3 or 4 hours to take bumper off & design, cut, shape, fit, etc. Really happy with the result :-)

IMG_20170313_111052190_HDR_zps7b6rdvz1.j

IMG_20170313_161828852_zpsuiyotawn.jpg

IMG_20170313_143750976_HDR_zpsczixxo1v.j

• Like 4

On 12/03/2017 at 11:26 PM, Boxey11 said:

I would like to do this, any advice or "how to" would be brilliant 

Sorry I never took any pictures when I did it, but it was easy, got the unit from eBay came with a fused link attached, earthed it against the radio body and used a spare ignition live feed I found when I was fixing my radio, the hardest but was getting it to fit in the hole, I would imagine you can get smaller versions but I used a dremmel to cut away the moulders tube on the fascia at the rear and then to make the hole a touch bigger possible 1mm in dia, once in  I could not get the securing ring on so I bonded it in using some plastex waited for it to dry and then put it all back together 

• Like 1

Headlight reflector quadrant thing was looking a bit sad and irritated me each time I walked around the front of the car

IMG_0012_zpshuuwm7pz.jpg

2 min job to switch for a new one and world order is now restored. 

7A3F6CED-0E2F-49B1-8766-B841F3CAA9AB_zps

I love the thought that's gone into the design and engineering of the car, the whole headlight unit is effectively plug and play - brilliant.  

Next up, wheels and I'm hearing good things about Chris from exel 

Dropped my box in at my local. Getting the springs sorted and the roof clips are on order. Should be here from Germany on Friday. If not, manual operation rules, ok! At least she's living indoors until the membrane is fixed ?

washed and waxed her, fixed the spoiler going down because it wasnt sitting all the way down , simple just put some chain wax on the ram and sent it up and down a few times and it just righted, greased up the bonnet catch 

I sat on the M6 & M5 for nearly 5 hours this afternoon wishing I was out in the Boxster roof down somewhere actually enjoying the 16'C spring weather. 

I did order a jacking pad ready to fit my new spacers and bolts this weekend.

Washed it, and then panicked a lot on finding a green damp patch on the garage floor, just behind the drivers seat position.  Without pausing decided I had a coolant leak, although coolant level was about correct (as vehicle is new to us still monitoring everything quite closely) , and panicked accordingly, hoping it was easily fixed or at least drivable to get to Revolution in Brighouse (just over an hours M way drive)

So engine cover off, front cover off, wheel off, under tray looked at, full on the drivers side of this green, so then realised that to try and see which coolant pipe it was - hoping it would be something simple like a hose clip - needed to remove under tray.  So release drivers side and by pulling down spot the liquid is coming from the joint of one or both of two metal air con pipes where they join the pipes running to front of the car, and which were dry on the top.  

Sounds of pennies dropping, quick dip of a paper towel into coolant header tank proved it was pink, and so yes this was an air con leak! So moral of the story is pause, think things through, and double check the obvious i.e. what is the coolant colour, before jumping to conclusions, but you know what its like, especially when you see the amount of liquid there's been in the under tray!!!  :whistle1:

Should've been on to it sooner as when we got car we knew air con wasn't working, and previous owner wasn't sure why as he's had two new condensers fitted not long before.  When in at Revolution they couldn't see anything at that time and no leaks detected so it was recharged and worked, and that was back in October.  I think we've now found where the leak is!!  Any idea if there's some sort of a gasket/o ring in those two joints?

So a good 2 hours spent on that this afternoon, instead of fixing the rattling exhaust heat shield on the other side.

IMG_1268_zpsz7mefbat.jpg

My first sight of what was in the under tray!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RCS said:

So a good 2 hours spent on that this afternoon, instead of fixing the rattling exhaust heat shield on the other side.

I fixed mine by removing them. Still hung up in the garage somewhere with no issues since removal.

Got my car back after having had new clutch and uprated IMS bearing fitted.

Car is so much nicer to drive now, my last clutch was well and truly on the way out so changing gear is now a pleasure again.

Just for the record my old 14yr/64k IMS bearing was in perfect condition on removal, but I'm still happy I've now got an uprated IMS in the car.