What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

36 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Must be something wrong with mine then as I can rattle away at them but the bolts won't budge! Have to crack them first with a breaker bar and socket. 

perhaps changing the brushes will help?

3 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I always break them with a bar even though my Snap On will easily pop them. I do it daily as part of my job and it's good practice to break them first ?

32705787896_c5ca113486_b.jpg

Noted, I'll break them in future

49 minutes ago, Southy said:

Noted, I'll break them in future

It's not that you've done anything wrong Grant, they are designed to brake bolts but with alloys your better to break them first with a bar?

Its very rare you will see a tech brake wheel bolts with a bar, they tend to wade in with the air gun.

Which does work but also strips locking bolts a treat and can if they slip make a lovely mess of your bolt holes. I get a lot of calls from various tyre butchers who do this ?

Well the new front control arms (tune forks) are on and she is back on the road. After a couple of alarming creaks and knocks in the first 400yds everything settled down. ARB bushes, coffin arms and control arms £150 per side total and all seems quiet on the front.... Now it just makes the rear sound even worse! will do the ARB bushes and rear tune forks first as i believe this is where the "snooker ball" noises come from. If its still present then its time to swap the rear coffin arms too. 

Got the car back from Cotswold Porsche after having a rear wheel bearing done, what started out as a couple of extra jobs turned into 4 new coffin arms, tuning fork  and a four wheel alignment.

the car is so planted now, previously my car must have been so out of align that this feels like a new car :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Southy said:

Got the car back from Cotswold Porsche after having a rear wheel bearing done, what started out as a couple of extra jobs turned into 4 new coffin arms, tuning fork  and a four wheel alignment.

the car is so planted now, previously my car must have been so out of align that this feels like a new car :)

That's what I am aiming for!

1 hour ago, JohnnyUK said:

That's what I am aiming for!

The aiming bit isn't hard, it's the bill bit at the end.

I've seen people mention just changing the coffin arms can make a big difference to handling, I need to give it a proper go tomorrow but it handles so different now it's uncanny.

8 hours ago, Southy said:

The aiming bit isn't hard, it's the bill bit at the end.

I've seen people mention just changing the coffin arms can make a big difference to handling, I need to give it a proper go tomorrow but it handles so different now it's uncanny.

I completed that aim last month Grant, at Revolution. Had had all four coffin arms replaced, along with the alignment, an oil and filter plus new pads all round, feels a good bit sharper now though, and yes, a tidy bill !

Took the car out properly for the first time since getting it back on Wednesday, having had, amongst other work, two new front tyres and laser wheel alignment. 

OH MY GOD, I have a different car!!! I actually cannot believe how much better it feels and drives! Much more planted at the front end. Very chuffed. :D

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CarlM said:

Had my first look in the engine compartment since I got the car last November, flicked a detailing brush around to redistribute the dust, hovered the carpet and put it all back together again!?

Hahaha I know that feeling:lol:. Think it was about a year before I saw the engine in my car. Possibly managed a bit more as actually removed some dust and checked the air filter, before reassembly.

Today and for last 3 days my car has not left my garage due to rain. This makes the access track to my house, really muddy and more suited to a 4x4.

23 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Hahaha I know that feeling:lol:. Think it was about a year before I saw the engine in my car. Possibly managed a bit more as actually removed some dust and checked the air filter, before reassembly.

Today and for last 3 days my car has not left my garage due to rain. This makes the access track to my house, really muddy and more suited to a 4x4.

Rain in Spain?! Sounds like an excuse for a public holiday!! Mind you I remember that when it rains it really rains heavy, my Mum used to have a place in Mojacar and on the rare occasion of rain it bucketed down 

I've not had mine out of the garage for a week now, dull and drizzle over my way☹️

Edited by CarlM
Typo

23 minutes ago, CarlM said:

Rain in Spain?! Sounds like an excuse for a public holiday!! Mind you I remember that when it rains it really rains heavy, my Mum used to have a place in Mojacar and on the rare occasion of rain it bucketed down 

I've not had mine out of the garage for a week now, dull and drizzle over my way☹️

Actually there has been more rain than usual this winter which is good for reservoir water levels etc as last few years have been dry. Still not a very common occurrence and when it happens it always makes the news. This is often due to car accidents etc as they continue to tailgate etc and generally drive like a cross between Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz, even in the worst weather conditions. Thank goodness it never snows down our way. 

It is often extremely heavy when it does rain and infrastructure does not cope very well. Had no internet for about 12 hrs on Friday. 

3 hours ago, Sazzy said:

Took the car out properly for the first time since getting it back on Wednesday, having had, amongst other work, two new front tyres and laser wheel alignment. 

OH MY GOD, I have a different car!!! I actually cannot believe how much better it feels and drives! Much more planted at the front end. Very chuffed. :D

exactly the same as me, I even got my wife to drive it as I was convinced something was wrong as it felt so different :)

She said it feels totally smooth and very safe in the corners 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Southy said:

exactly the same as me, I even got my wife to drive it as I was convinced something was wrong as it felt so different :)

She said it feels totally smooth and very safe in the corners 

Yeah it corners better too. Wish I'd done it sooner to be honest.

4 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Actually there has been more rain than usual this winter which is good for reservoir water levels etc as last few years have been dry. Still not a very common occurrence and when it happens it always makes the news. This is often due to car accidents etc as they continue to tailgate etc and generally drive like a cross between Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz, even in the worst weather conditions. Thank goodness it never snows down our way. 

It is often extremely heavy when it does rain and infrastructure does not cope very well. Had no internet for about 12 hrs on Friday. 

You may be near my mate who lives in Southern Spain, usually he's bragging about the sun and how much golf he is playing, but recently its just moaning about the rain and lack of internet!!

Still, I've had the use of his 997 C4S since he moved out there so its fine by me for him to remain :D

Edited by golfprorich