What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

MOT and service; excellent emission readings (after an 'Italian tune up'); anti freeze protection to -46C! Two minor advisories on small brake pipes to calipers, but no action recommended at this stage. Happy! (And now waiting for the 'dent man' to 'undent' a ding on nearside wing. Might need a repaint as it has a minor scuff.)

1 hour ago, fischer said:

Took her for a 180 mile round trip for a lunch meet.

Good new was the passenger door I stripped out last weekend to seal the membrane no longer leaks.

Bad news the drivers one is now leaking,  

Al 

And the next good news is you know how to fix it.  ?

Got my car booked in with Ben at Rennspeed to do a clutch change and fit upgraded IMS bearing. He's also going to look at options for tightening up the gear throw (I don't want a short shift kit).

Apart from that the Boxster is now back on daily driver duties as my Focus has had a one way trip to the scrappies (which I'm quite sad about as its one of the best cars I've owned).

13 minutes ago, drumsterphil said:

Got my car booked in with Ben at Rennspeed to do a clutch change and fit upgraded IMS bearing. He's also going to look at options for tightening up the gear throw (I don't want a short shift kit).

Apart from that the Boxster is now back on daily driver duties as my Focus has had a one way trip to the scrappies (which I'm quite sad about as its one of the best cars I've owned).

Let us know the damage...

Parked early on a large rugby club car park (I was facilitating part of a meeting looking at health care and palliative care in Maryport) well away from the building. Before the meeting started an ex policeman asked who owned a black Porsche. "I do". "Well someone's backed into it and driven off". He had managed to get the last three letters of the reg plate, and the club had CCTV, but not covering that area, so I hoped the car would be picked up as it drove out. At end of meeting I found a note on windscreen - the driver must have had a conscience after all and left their details. 

Damage deeply 'grooved' bumper, wind bent and buckled above the front wheel. No damage to lights, but think it will be expensive! At least she has admitted it was her fault and is hoping (fat chance) that she can pay for its repair without going to her insurance firm. If not then I'll get on to my insurance firm and get them to get the money from her insurance. (Hope there won't be any hiccups as it was on private land.)

So waiting for an estimate on Monday....

4 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Parked early on a large rugby club car park (I was facilitating part of a meeting looking at health care and palliative care in Maryport) well away from the building. Before the meeting started an ex policeman asked who owned a black Porsche. "I do". "Well someone's backed into it and driven off". He had managed to get the last three letters of the reg plate, and the club had CCTV, but not covering that area, so I hoped the car would be picked up as it drove out. At end of meeting I found a note on windscreen - the driver must have had a conscience after all and left their details. 

Damage deeply 'grooved' bumper, wind bent and buckled above the front wheel. No damage to lights, but think it will be expensive! At least she has admitted it was her fault and is hoping (fat chance) that she can pay for its repair without going to her insurance firm. If not then I'll get on to my insurance firm and get them to get the money from her insurance. (Hope there won't be any hiccups as it was on private land.)

So waiting for an estimate on Monday....

Sorry to hear that Rev, :(  Let's hope it's a fairly easy repair but if your wing is bent then there could be damage to the radiator and condenser underneath.

Did you say "Fek" ? :unsure:  (I hope you've read the other thread where you came up in conversation).

After 14 years my hood plastic window finally cried enough and split. It's now temporarily fixed with Gorilla tape and doesn't look too bad at all.

Apart from that two very nice top down drives; fair to say I love my car :D

Edited by drumsterphil

I tidied my garage and layed some new carpet. Had a good clear out and binned a dead hoover, mower, hose & heater. Took the car out for a run this morning and this afternoon to run some errands, roads were salty and slippy so took it really steady. Bloody fuel light is back on again already ??

Edited by Jason986S

So what did I do today .....

Gave the au pair the keys to the 430d M Sports Cab, wife took the DISCO shopping, used the Polo to get a paper and then....went out in the Boxster

Read a few posts whilst my son had his tennis lesson (was supposed to be writing a strategic analysis of the Arab/Israeli conflict of 1967...but I'll get to that..) and it made me think...

We'd driven to tennis in the 986S, weekly warm up round the surrey roads, so when we got home (after 3pm) I decided to fit the new 'Chinese' short shift gear mechanism I brought from Alibaba. Cold and dark in the garage (-3)  but I decide that it was worth a go. Anyway, got home, took the seats out, centre console out and then gear mechanism out; whole thing only took me a couple of hours, test drove all good (5.40pm), in fact brilliant. Although, those of you trying it, beware the 'remove the original gear mechanism bits with a razor blade (from 101 Projects with the Boxster); its a total nightmare that actually needs big strong 'weapons' and very careful prising apart of very strong Porsche plastic. You have to be prepared to buy the original housing new if you get it wrong. I didn't (damage the housing), but was surprised at the  typical 'glossing over' of the difficulty of the procedure.

In truth the bottom gear attachment from the original was a bit perished, worked perfectly but I now I know its perished I'll need to change it, so just about to go on the web and order a new one, so car drivable, drivers seat in, but not electrically connected, and passenger seat dumped back in the car (to avoid mice deciding that Porcshe leather would make a good midnight feast.

So, what's next? 

I'm keen on buying a home lift, to a) make me feel like a mechanic..b) allow me to take the wheels off to get them refurbished...c) play with, or restoring the suspension/brakes (really fancy respraying the callipers yellow (is this wrong?)...(car's Guards Red, although have long term plan on respray Riviera/Miami Blue....). d) need help on the soooo quiet exhaust. Live in Surrey and everyone (Indys) says 'new exhaust' (£1000).....I'm thinking £200 by pass....help...

AaS

12 hours ago, allatsea said:

So what did I do today .....

Gave the au pair the keys to the 430d M Sports Cab, wife took the DISCO shopping, used the Polo to get a paper and then....went out in the Boxster

Read a few posts whilst my son had his tennis lesson (was supposed to be writing a strategic analysis of the Arab/Israeli conflict of 1967...but I'll get to that..) and it made me think...

We'd driven to tennis in the 986S, weekly warm up round the surrey roads, so when we got home (after 3pm) I decided to fit the new 'Chinese' short shift gear mechanism I brought from Alibaba. Cold and dark in the garage (-3)  but I decide that it was worth a go. Anyway, got home, took the seats out, centre console out and then gear mechanism out; whole thing only took me a couple of hours, test drove all good (5.40pm), in fact brilliant. Although, those of you trying it, beware the 'remove the original gear mechanism bits with a razor blade (from 101 Projects with the Boxster); its a total nightmare that actually needs big strong 'weapons' and very careful prising apart of very strong Porsche plastic. You have to be prepared to buy the original housing new if you get it wrong. I didn't (damage the housing), but was surprised at the  typical 'glossing over' of the difficulty of the procedure.

In truth the bottom gear attachment from the original was a bit perished, worked perfectly but I now I know its perished I'll need to change it, so just about to go on the web and order a new one, so car drivable, drivers seat in, but not electrically connected, and passenger seat dumped back in the car (to avoid mice deciding that Porcshe leather would make a good midnight feast.

So, what's next? 

I'm keen on buying a home lift, to a) make me feel like a mechanic..b) allow me to take the wheels off to get them refurbished...c) play with, or restoring the suspension/brakes (really fancy respraying the callipers yellow (is this wrong?)...(car's Guards Red, although have long term plan on respray Riviera/Miami Blue....). d) need help on the soooo quiet exhaust. Live in Surrey and everyone (Indys) says 'new exhaust' (£1000).....I'm thinking £200 by pass....help...

AaS

And the award for most middle class post of the year goes to........................

Sorry AaS, but lives in Surrey, owns Beemer, Disco and Boxster, son plays tennis and writes dissertations on Arab/Israeli conflicts?