986 ULEZ Compliant?

highway

Excellent out come.  Can you confirm the model year/manufacture date of your car, as quoting this case in future may enable other owners to get the right result a lot faster thanks to your diligence and tenacity. 

I'm not sure you can quote mine because GDPR rules will mean they can't use information from Me for an enquiry by someone else. You can of course copy what I did. Ask Porsche for free Certificate of Conformity and then forward this to DVLA. I will of course give anyone pointers or help where I can.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I'm not sure you can quote mine because GDPR rules will mean they can't use information from Me for an enquiry by someone else. You can of course copy what I did. Ask Porsche for free Certificate of Conformity and then forward this to DVLA. I will of course give anyone pointers or help where I can.

They can't disclose the information to a 3rd party but they can use it themselves so if you can give them a similar/identical case number it would make their job a lot less painful as well.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:32 PM, ATM said:

Dear ATM

Thank you for your enquiry received on 05/01/2022. Your case reference number is Case Number Removed.

From the information available on your DVLA vehicle record, I can see that your vehicle was first registered in June 2001 and does not have a confirmed Euro status on record. The Drive in a Clean Air Zone service, in the absence of a confirmed Euro status, considers the Date of First Registration of your vehicle and the emissions values recorded at registration to determine whether it likely meets the Euro 4 minimum emissions standard for Clean Air Zones.

Based on the information available on your vehicles DVLA record and the information you have provided to support the emissions values for your vehicle indicates that your vehicle does meet the Euro 4 emissions standard, and your vehicle will not be chargeable to drive, into, or within, the Clean Air Zone.

I have requested for your record to be updated to reflect this.

This will be updated within 2 working days. Please check back on the Vehicle Checker before your next journey into or within the Clean Air Zone.

Please be aware, if you intend to drive into or within the zone before this has been updated, you will still need to pay for the journey. Local Authorities are responsible for all charging orders and refunds, if you have received a PCN, you should follow the instructions on the letter to complete a representation and use our email response as evidence of compliance.

If you have already paid a charge you will need to contact the Local Authority and ask for a refund.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form Link Removed

Name Removed - Escalation Unit

Nice one, well done!!

Sadiq, meanwhile, is busy making more millions a day from motorists. 

Sorry, I meant not making money, he's making the air cleaner and the millions of £££ needed to plug TFL's funding gap are just coincidental.

https://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2022/03/07/london-mayor-announces-ulez-extension-but-smart-charging-scheme-still-many-years-away/

On 3/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, ATM said:

And noting that your successful reply was authored by the Escalation Unit. It looks comparable to my wife's citizenship application; a lowly clerk looked at it and decided it didn't pass the rules, but that was because they didn't understand how to interpret the rules. Escalate it to a senior who does, and the decision is corrected.

7 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

And noting that your successful reply was authored by the Escalation Unit. It looks comparable to my wife's citizenship application; a lowly clerk looked at it and decided it didn't pass the rules, but that was because they didn't understand how to interpret the rules. Escalate it to a senior who does, and the decision is corrected.

Exactly

I didn't escalate.  I just explained what EUR 4 means and the numbers on my certificate of conformity were all lower.  I was confused why they asked for this if there were then not going to look at it.  But I guess I am assuming too much from the people who do the first line of query handling.  Maybe they have some standard blurb which says tell anyone who asks they need to get a certificate of conformity.  But then to have an understanding of what this is and what the numbers mean is perhaps not realistic.  So anyway a good outcome in the end.

I have now sent my final appeal to the relevant body who deals with these and I am hopeful for a positive outcome.  If I look my car up now on the clean air zone checker type website it comes back as exempt.  that should say it all if you ask me.

image.thumb.png.ffc1b278cb6a6baf91f37613a306b446.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, ATM said:

Exactly

I didn't escalate.  I just explained what EUR 4 means and the numbers on my certificate of conformity were all lower.  I was confused why they asked for this if there were then not going to look at it.  But I guess I am assuming too much from the people who do the first line of query handling.  Maybe they have some standard blurb which says tell anyone who asks they need to get a certificate of conformity.  But then to have an understanding of what this is and what the numbers mean is perhaps not realistic.  So anyway a good outcome in the end.

I have now sent my final appeal to the relevant body who deals with these and I am hopeful for a positive outcome.  If I look my car up now on the clean air zone checker type website it comes back as exempt.  that should say it all if you ask me.

image.thumb.png.ffc1b278cb6a6baf91f37613a306b446.png

The annoying thing is that this probably means that everyone with a 986 will have to go through this same laborious process just to drive on a road in a city where someone decided to draw a line and proclaim that anyone who drives over it needs to pay.

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

The annoying thing is that this probably means that everyone with a 986 will have to go through this same laborious process just to drive on a road in a city where someone decided to draw a line and proclaim that anyone who drives over it needs to pay.

Yes

All 986 can not be EUR 4, they are only EUR 3. But all petrol cars need to be EUR 4 to avoid charging - for now. So unless they use one set of figures - provided by me or similar - for all 986 then each owner will need to go through this process at some point for reclassification of each vehicle, one at a time.

2 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Strange all this just checked my 02 S again and it’s still ULEZ compliant.  And it’s Euro 3. I’ve not done a thing 🤷🏼‍♂️

No all cars had their emissions data included at their original registration and so DVLA's record and the V5 do not show the data.  These are the ones (like mine) with the problem.  If the data is there you seem to be OK, Euro 3, Euro 4 or whatever.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having followed this tread with interest I have taken the route of trying to register the vehicle in advance of getting a penalty notice.  Being a 2000 3.2 it doesn't comply to all the EURO4 numbers, but the NOx level is the same as @ATM's 2001 car at 0.048g/km vs 0.08g/km EURO4 limit. I have applied to Porsche for the C of C.

They say that EURO4 NOx is the measure they work to, so I'll let you know how I get on, starting with London.

32 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Having followed this tread with interest I have taken the route of trying to register the vehicle in advance of getting a penalty notice.  Being a 2000 3.2 it doesn't comply to all the EURO4 numbers, but the NOx level is the same as @ATM's 2001 car at 0.048g/km vs 0.08g/km EURO4 limit. I have applied to Porsche for the C of C.

They say that EURO4 NOx is the measure they work to, so I'll let you know how I get on, starting with London.

Ah yes

The London TFL just look at NOx.  I have no idea what Clean Air Zone people look for.

If I were less honest I'd be tempted to copy the cert of my car and just add your chassis number to it.  They would never know.

57 minutes ago, ATM said:

Ah yes

The London TFL just look at NOx.  I have no idea what Clean Air Zone people look for.

If I were less honest I'd be tempted to copy the cert of my car and just add your chassis number to it.  They would never know.

I want to do it above board and have started with TfL, particularly as the 2000 model year homologated emissions are different from the 2001 versions, for 2000 is it only NOx that complies with Euro 4 so should be OK for London.  The rest seen to state the full standard, or are not as transparent on their websites like TFL.

Well I'm very impressed with the speed of the response and I hope this is useful to other owners to head off the TfL London ULEZ issue before it starts.  Waiting for a response to a similar enquiry to the Clean Air Zones.

ULlwbXS.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Certificate on Compliance from Porsche at the end of last week.  Uploaded the scanned doc and my V5C over the weekend.  Letter back by email today and my 2000 Boxster S 3.2 is now on the compliant vehicle list for the London ULEZ.  Quite painless really.

8p8v6Q9.jpg  

Still waiting on the initial response from the other Clean Air Zone organisations.

Edited by ½cwt

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Guy Wilkinson said:

Having got ULEZ exemption for London, I have sent an enquiry to DVLA to get the Boxster S registered as CAZ compliant.

Important to me as couple of the roads out of Glossop hit the Greater Manchester CAZ.

29CB163D-6B4A-47FD-A652-F7FE6C46136F.png

I'm still waiting  for my reply in 15 working days, sent on 7 April...

There is a technicality in the the CAZ clearly states Euro 4, where as London states Euro 4 NOx.  Any 986 is too old to have Euro 4 stated on its Certificate of Conformity what ever its actual emissions as they predate the actual confirmation of the Euro 4 standard.  Added to that in my case there is no emissions data on the V5C at all.  2001 model year onwards does comply so hopefully they will accept those with a CoC, earlier cars only comply on NOx.

Lets see how we both get on.

BTW what year is your car?

This CAZ and associated charges is new to me. Not sure how it applies. Of the live zones, Birmingham wants to charge me £8 and Bath and Portsmouth don’t want anything. Manchester is no charge and under review for when to implement and Bristol wants £9 when they switch it on later this year.
What a mess. 

https://multiple-vehiclecheck-pay.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/what_would_you_like_to_do

2 hours ago, TV8 said:

This CAZ and associated charges is new to me. Not sure how it applies. Of the live zones, Birmingham wants to charge me £8 and Bath and Portsmouth don’t want anything. Manchester is no charge and under review for when to implement and Bristol wants £9 when they switch it on later this year.
What a mess. 

https://multiple-vehiclecheck-pay.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/what_would_you_like_to_do

Celebrate devolved power to metropolitan councils and mayors!

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Does @CAZ realize just how much confusion she is causing?

I don’t know, you’ll have to ask Mr997 that one 🤣