986 ULEZ Compliant?

highway

Started a conversation with TfL as my 2002 has 0.077 recorded as the NOx on the V5. As I live about 400m inside the expanded zone come October, it’s sort of a deal breaker! Thanks DPG for highlighting your process. Let’s see if 12 months later, TfL are consistent…

On 8/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, dpg123 said:

Chase27, glad this seems to have made progress. Fingers crossed TFL confirm you're compliant soon. I found the process time consuming and frustrating because the system was at fault, not me. To be fair to TFL, they seemed to be quite clear and efficient in terms of stating what exactly they needed to fix the issue and didn't take that long to respond.

To those coming after us, to summarise, my advice would be:

- Go straight to Porsche UK (customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk) asking for your Certificate of Conformity for the purposes of confirming your car is ULEZ compliant in London. You'll need to provide them with your vehicle VIN number.

- Once you have your Certificate, scan it and send it to TFL (ULEZLondon@cclondon.com) with your car Reg asking them to update their records and confirming your car is compliant. Your car does not need to be EURO4 compliant, it just needs the NOX level on the Certificate of Conformity to be equal or better than the EURO4 limit (which it will be). This is key. 

- TFL should then confirm your car is compliant and you can then indulge in man maths whereby the £12.50 you would have had to pay each time you drove in town now goes towards a nice pair of stainless headers and sports cats to open up some additional noise and SPEEEEEEEEEED.

@Araf  can we make this a how to sticky ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DullWitch said:

Started a conversation with TfL as my 2002 has 0.077 recorded as the NOx on the V5. As I live about 400m inside the expanded zone come October, it’s sort of a deal breaker! Thanks DPG for highlighting your process. Let’s see if 12 months later, TfL are consistent…

The reply below is written so as to be unclear but in response to a query last night simply stating the NOx levels as shown on my v5 (0.077) I got…

”based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle is subject to the ULEZ and meets the emissions standards. This means you do not have to pay the ULEZ charge to travel in the zone”

I’ve also contact Porsche UK to see if they can give me extra ammo. 

Thanks again!

TfL and Khan et al can do one as far as I'm concerned. I am moving out of London. Where I live it is just getting stupid now. The council is forcing through a "Clean Street" in my area as their previous idea of a LTN generated too much noise and resistance. Even though over 70% of people surveyed voted against the whole cockamamie idea they are hell-bent on forcing us all to cycle or walk. Why the f*** should I walk when I have a Porsche??? I suppose they think it's a great idea that I have to walk in one of the hilliest (is that a word?) part of London to do my weekly shopping and then carry a whole week's food and beer home. Can't see any of those idiots doing it - Khan apparently drives 4.5 miles to take his dog for a walk when he has a park right next to his house ffs.

I'm afraid I am also not trading the Boxster in for a toaster with wheels - especially not when the Boxster is paid for and a toaster on wheels is going to cost me north of £20k. I would rather lose £20k on selling the house and moving somewhere else thanks very much - and before anyone says I must be rich let me assure you I am not but I refuse to let these brainless idiots dictate to me what I can or can't do. With this lot it's do as I say and not do as I do. 

I wouldn't worry too much as I don't drive into town but the ULEZ is coming all the way out to the south circular and that is right on my doorstep. So, no thanks. I would rather leave London.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

TfL and Khan et al can do one as far as I'm concerned. I am moving out of London. Where I live it is just getting stupid now. The council is forcing through a "Clean Street" in my area as their previous idea of a LTN generated too much noise and resistance. Even though over 70% of people surveyed voted against the whole cockamamie idea they are hell-bent on forcing us all to cycle or walk. Why the f*** should I walk when I have a Porsche??? I suppose they think it's a great idea that I have to walk in one of the hilliest (is that a word?) part of London to do my weekly shopping and then carry a whole week's food and beer home. Can't see any of those idiots doing it - Khan apparently drives 4.5 miles to take his dog for a walk when he has a park right next to his house ffs.

I'm afraid I am also not trading the Boxster in for a toaster with wheels - especially not when the Boxster is paid for and a toaster on wheels is going to cost me north of £20k. I would rather lose £20k on selling the house and moving somewhere else thanks very much - and before anyone says I must be rich let me assure you I am not but I refuse to let these brainless idiots dictate to me what I can or can't do. With this lot it's do as I say and not do as I do. 

I wouldn't worry too much as I don't drive into town but the ULEZ is coming all the way out to the south circular and that is right on my doorstep. So, no thanks. I would rather leave London.

You won’t regret it. 

I get your anger. We’ve an LTN and cameras out the wazoo appeared near me ( see my name). It’s not the mayor that put them in, or gets the fines. It’s Southwark Council. Making millions…

but assuming you’re going to buy something for (say) 750k, the stamp duty alone is going to be 2,200 days of charges. There’s all sorts of reasons for not being in London (space, no longer in the office every day, education, community, crime, clean air…..) but this wouldn’t be top of my list. 

2 hours ago, DullWitch said:

I get your anger. We’ve an LTN and cameras out the wazoo appeared near me ( see my name). It’s not the mayor that put them in, or gets the fines. It’s Southwark Council. Making millions…

but assuming you’re going to buy something for (say) 750k, the stamp duty alone is going to be 2,200 days of charges. There’s all sorts of reasons for not being in London (space, no longer in the office every day, education, community, crime, clean air…..) but this wouldn’t be top of my list. 

Sometime is it just about perceived quality of life not the £ S d.  I don't know many people who have move out of London/NSR SSR area, but those I do don't regret it.

6 hours ago, DullWitch said:

Yes in my case it's Croydon Council. Bunch of crooks if you ask me. They eventually relented and had a consultation - or what they call a consultation. Every household gets ONE unique identifier so they can respond to the online consultation. When asked what to do if more than one person lives in a household they say just both use the same identifier as the response will still be valid and be counted. Then a bunch of households did not get even one identifier - no problem says Croydon Council, just use 0000 and it will be counted as a valid response.

When they collated the responses they discount any responses that uses a unique identifier more than once, and they discount any responses that use 0000. In one fell swoop they cut out a very large number of responses and guess what? Out of everyone that responded an overwhelming majority (75% plus if I remember correctly) said No to LTNs and just Open Our Roads. 

It was one of the highest responses ever to a Traffic consultation (something like 25% of the population in the area responded) but it gets better. Not content with having an overwhelming majority against the idea and asking for it to be removed Croydon Council says that as only 25% of the population in the area responded it is clear that most people do not mind having a LTN and therefore they will go ahead with it. Pat Ryan, a longtime representative  was against the idea as he wanted to serve his constituents....Pat Ryan got booted out of the TMAC committee and cannot fight for the rights of his constituents. Instead all decisions are made by a bunch of crooks in the Council who want to force this through so they can cash in on fines. Signage is abysmal and confusing and the list goes on. They are now calling it Clean streets - who will be against having fresh clean air to breathe - no one in his right mind, right? And if you happen to live on a boundary road where all this traffic is being pushed, well then that's just tough. The Council seem to think they will create a cycling and walking Utopia and it will have no consequences on anyone else (and in any case if it does then that's just too bad).

How many Councillors live in the affected areas you ask? I raised it as a FOI request and the silence from the Council is deafening. I guess that answers that particular question.

No thanks. I'm outta here.

• 2 weeks later...

@map@iborguk First of all I'd like to extend a thank you to 'Map' and 'iborguk' for directing me to this thread.

I have a dilema like many others, soon the ULEZ boundary will be extended into central regions of London.

@dpg123 I will follow your guidance in the. For the record my 986 is a 1997 2.5 model. I'm unsure if this has a bearing on the possibilities of my car being exempt but it's worth a try! 

Edited by Araf

13 minutes ago, SilverBud said:

@map@iborguk First of all I'd like to extend a thank you to 'Map' and 'iborguk' for directing me to this thread.

I have a dilema like many others, soon the ULEZ boundary will be extended into central regions of London.

@dpg123 I will follow your guidance in the. For the record my 986 is a 1997 2.5 model. I'm unsure if this has a bearing on the possibilities of my car being exempt but it's worth a try! Meanwhile the car is up for sale but I would dearly love to keep her!

Out of curiosity does your V5 state a value for NOx ?

If not you need that certificate of conformity from Porsche as you'll have no doubt read from this thread by now. 

Edited by iborguk

8 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Out of curiosity does your V5 state a value for NOx ?

If not you need that certificate of conformity from Porsche as you'll have no doubt read from this thread by now. 

Thank you iborg. I'm so behind on this stuff. I will check that in the morning and come back to you for sure! Can you tell me where on the V5 the NOx value would be located? Perhaps it will be listed as easy to read but I don't have it to hand right now.

2 minutes ago, SilverBud said:

Thank you iborg. I'm so behind on this stuff. I will check that in the morning and come back to you for sure! Can you tell me where on the V5 the NOx value would be located? Perhaps it will be listed as easy to read but I don't have it to hand right now.

iirc it's listed against item V.3 on the V5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iborguk said:

iirc it's listed against item V.3 on the V5.

@iborguk @dpg123

Morning, I’ve checked my V5 and it’s blank!
Following on from dpg123’s amazing research I guess this means that my first port of call should be Porsche to discern what my NOx levels are…?

i too picked out some random 1998 986 vehicle plates to run through the ULEZ checker but it appears they are all coming up as not exempt. I guess it’s a bit of a lottery at this stage but is is worth the time and hassle to pursue with this? Most of the cars being touched on in this thread are with cars registered in 2000+

there was a chap here who had a 1997 @Doctor_Slowdid you pursue your case and if so what were your findings?

thanks in advance everyone. 

Just now, SilverBud said:

@iborguk @dpg123

Morning, I’ve checked my V5 and it’s blank!
Following on from dpg123’s amazing research I guess this means that my first port of call should be Porsche to discern what my NOx levels are…?

i too picked out some random 1998 986 vehicle plates to run through the ULEZ checker but it appears they are all coming up as not exempt. I guess it’s a bit of a lottery at this stage but is is worth the time and hassle to pursue with this? Most of the cars being touched on in this thread are with cars registered in 2000+

there was a chap here who had a 1997 @Doctor_Slowdid you pursue your case and if so what were your findings?

thanks in advance everyone. 

Unknown.jpeg

Nothing ventured nothing gained. The cost to pursue this is immaterial. You would spend more in advert and selling costs. 

45 minutes ago, edc said:

Nothing ventured nothing gained. The cost to pursue this is immaterial. You would spend more in advert and selling costs. 

Time exactly on my side. Wish I had discovered this BB in ‘19 but as you said nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

so for clarity - the objective is ascertain the NOx levels of my ‘98 box and if they are less than 0.8 I stand a fighting chance of converting this situation in my favour …  

2 hours ago, SilverBud said:

- the objective is ascertain the NOx levels of my ‘98 box and if they are less than 0.8 I stand a fighting chance of converting this situation in my favour …  

If the NOx levels are below 0.8 then there’s no question of the situation being in your favour. 

It’s alright here isn’t it?

2 minutes ago, map said:

If the NOx levels are below 0.8 then there’s no question of the situation being in your favour. 

Correction. I should have stated 0.08 not 0.8 lol.

Yes, I'm glad I stumbled on this BB. Will be checking in more often if I get to keep the car :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, map said:

I've just sent my letter off to Porsche UK (customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk) requesting the Certificate of Conformity. Seems like dpg123 had a to wait a while to get a response - hopfully I'll get one sooner than later. Short on time here but if the results come in and they are positive that would be amazing! Will send upates as and when pos.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SilverBud said:

I've just sent my letter off to Porsche UK (customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk) requesting the Certificate of Conformity. Seems like dpg123 had a to wait a while to get a response - hopfully I'll get one sooner than later. Short on time here but if the results come in and they are positive that would be amazing! Will send upates as and when pos.

Hi @SilverBud,

I think my certificate came back in a couple of weeks and then TFL took about a week. You car is 100% compliant, it's literally a matter of getting the certificate to TFL so they update their database. I can't believe that TFL don't update their master data after they have proof a model is compliant so that everyone doesn't have to go through this process. It's a great example of a system set up to suit the needs of the staff instead of the customer.

Edited by dpg123
spelling