986 ULEZ Compliant?

highway

Then you wouldn't be able to justify the overblow bureaucracy... 

I agree, you'd have hoped that once they see a pattern of database changes relating to a given model that something would flag up for a check and then a mass update to be carried out, but then adding exempt vehicles cuts their revenue, even if that vehicle should not be charged, so why would they want to do that...?  Am I too cynical?

• 1 month later...

Not read the whole thread....

I've just been stung with a 120 pound fine for driving through the clean air zone in Birmingham. 

It appears that this site doesn't recognise my 986 as exempt but the tfl or London ULEZ shows it as exempt. I've tried various other websites and they all show the car as exempt. The only site which doesn't show the car as exempt is the one below which I'm assuming they are using.

I intend to appeal on that basis - London says it is exempt therefore it is exempt. Unless I should be doing anything else please let me know.

https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/air_zones/compliance

4 hours ago, ATM said:

I've just been stung with a 120 pound fine for driving through the clean air zone in Birmingham. 

It appears that this site doesn't recognise my 986 as exempt but the tfl or London ULEZ shows it as exempt. I've tried various other websites and they all show the car as exempt. The only site which doesn't show the car as exempt is the one below which I'm assuming they are using.

I intend to appeal on that basis - London says it is exempt therefore it is exempt. Unless I should be doing anything else please let me know.

Did your car come up as exempt with TFL (London) from the start or did you have to go through the bureaucratic BS to get it updated as compliant? 

7 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Did your car come up as exempt with TFL (London) from the start or did you have to go through the bureaucratic BS to get it updated as compliant? 

I only bought the car a few months ago.  July to be exact.  The first thing I checked was tfl or London ULEZ because I have a friend who lives near there and is always fretting about it.    I also knew that Birmingham was bringing one in and I have friends there also.  

I would probably have decided against buying if it was not exempt.  My 1998 996 is not exempt and it is concerning me.  A car feels pretty useless to me if it is not exempt as I live within the new proposed Manchester clean air zone - which is absolutely massive btw.

It came up as exempt immediately without me doing anything.

Every site I have tried shows the car as EUR 3 and ULEZ Exempt.  Except the one mentioned above - 

Edited by ATM

13 minutes ago, ATM said:

I only bought the car a few months ago.  July to be exact.  The first thing I checked was tfl or London ULEZ because I have a friend who lives near there and is always fretting about it.    I also knew that Birmingham was bringing one in and I have friends there also.  

I would probably have decided against buying if it was not exempt.  My 1998 996 is not exempt and it is concerning me.  A car feels pretty useless to me if it is not exempt as I live within the new proposed Manchester clean air zone - which is absolutely massive btw.

It came up as exempt immediately without me doing anything.

Every site I have tried shows the car as EUR 3 and ULEZ Exempt.  Except the one mentioned above - 

Digging deeper on that site. I ended up at this doc. 

https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/download/downloads/id/114/charging-order-unsealed.pdf

Page 16 seems to show the specs relevant.   I read it as euro 4 0.08g/km NoX which from memory (and it’s somewhere in this thread) is the same as the London ULEZ so if you have the nox value on the v5 or you go through the hoops of certificate of compliance to get the nox value then I think you are in a good place to contest the “chargeable”

Good luck.  

I believe the Birmingham zone is tighter than the wider London zone but the same as the central London zone at EURO 6 which was only introduced in 2015, difference between LEZ and ULEZ but you need to check the rules for each zone as each has been set up by local politicians and local government officers, not necessarily to a national set of standards and all based on a database at DVLA that does not have fully cleaned and complete data in it, otherwise we'd not be having to source certificates of authenticity from Porsche.. 

We went to a gig at the NIA recently and had to take my company petrol car (2019) as my wife's 2013 Golf TDi (EURO 5) was not compliant with the central B'ham zone.

Found this handy article from the RAC:

Euro 1 to Euro 6 – find out your vehicle's emissions standard | RAC Drive

13 minutes ago, Paul P said:

https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/download/downloads/id/114/charging-order-unsealed.pdf

Page 16 seems to show the specs relevant.   I read it as euro 4 0.08g/km NoX which from memory (and it’s somewhere in this thread) is the same as the London ULEZ so if you have the nox value on the v5 or you go through the hoops of certificate of compliance to get the nox value then I think you are in a good place to contest the “chargeable”

Good luck.  

This exactly. If the NoX value is not on the V5C you need to contact Porsche Reading and ask them to supply the Certificate of Compliance for your chassis number. You then provide this and the V5C to whoever the authority is at Birmingham. I think in the meantime you need to pay the fine and then claim it back later when the car is deemed compliant...

23 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Good luck.  

I do not have a nox value - V3 right - on my V5.  All are blank except V1 CO which is shown as 0.613

3 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

This exactly. If the NoX value is not on the V5C you need to contact Porsche Reading and ask them to supply the Certificate of Compliance for your chassis number. You then provide this and the V5C to whoever the authority is at Birmingham. I think in the meantime you need to pay the fine and then claim it back later when the car is deemed compliant...

How long does Porsche Reading take to reply to these enquiries?

Do I just email them / call them / write to them?

1 minute ago, ATM said:

How long does Porsche Reading take to reply to these enquiries?

Do I just email them / call them / write to them?

There's an email address on this thread somewhere (or just call Porsche Reading) - it took mine a couple/three weeks to arrive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I believe the Birmingham zone is tighter than the wider London zone but the same as the central London zone at EURO 6 which was only introduced in 2015, difference between LEZ and ULEZ but you need to check the rules for each zone as each has been set up by local politicians and local government officers, not necessarily to a national set of standards and all based on a database at DVLA that does not have fully cleaned and complete data in it, otherwise we'd not be having to source certificates of authenticity from Porsche.. 

We went to a gig at the NIA recently and had to take my company petrol car (2019) as my wife's 2013 Golf TDi (EURO 5) was not compliant with the central B'ham zone.

Found this handy article from the RAC:

Euro 1 to Euro 6 – find out your vehicle's emissions standard | RAC Drive

I read it as Euro 4 for Petrol and Euro 6 for Diesel based on this section of the doc:

Emissions standards required of compliant vehicles 6. A vehicle meets the standards required of a compliant vehicle for the purposes of this Scheme if the Central Clean Air Zone Service is satisfied that the vehicle is— (a) an electric vehicle; (b) a positive ignition vehicle that meets the standards specified for that vehicle in Table 1 of Annex 3 (Euro 4/IV Standards For Positive Ignition Vehicles); or (c) a compression ignition vehicle that meets the standards specified for that vehicle in Table 2 of Annex 3 (Euro 6/VI Standards For Compression Ignition Vehicles).

The Annex/Table for Petrol shows:

not exceeding 2,500kg  Euro 4 0.08g/km Limit value for NOx

exceeding 2,500kg not exceeding 1,305 Euro 4 0.08g/km Limit Value for NOx

As you say - that matches the london ulez as far as I remember from this (or the other) thread.

Madness that there are multiple data sources that drive these things.

Edited by Paul P

6 minutes ago, ATM said:

I did a Google and came up with this

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1093872#msg1093872

Customer.Assistance@porsche.co.uk

Interesting that thread mentions 993 owners ..... so is it worth you getting certificates for your 996 as well - may be that is actually compliant as well.

11 hours ago, ATM said:

Hello

I have only just found this PCN letter because I have been away from home .... personal info removed .... I returned home yesterday now that it is safe for me to do so and found this PCN. So now I am responding.

I do not live in Birmingham. This Clean Air Zone is new to Me. I was aware of it but this is the first time I have driven in Birmingham since it started. I will admit I didn’t know where the Clean Air Zone started and ended and I will explain why further below.

I have only just purchased this car. I purchased it in July 2021. Prior to purchasing this car I made sure that it was ULEZ exempt as my friend lives near the ULEZ area in London.

London ULEZ check website - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicl...

This Transport For London website tells me this car is ULEZ exempt. Therefore I assumed it was exempt from all ULEZ areas. I am now confused as to why you would think this car is not ULEZ exempt but the website for Transport For London says it is.

I have been researching this subject for the last few hours as obviously I am shocked to see a fine for 120 pound when I thought this car was exempt from such charges. It seems that each vehicle should have a Certificate of Conformity and I have to request this from the manufacturer. This I have done but it may take some time to arrive.

I have read details from other owners of similar vehicles who have requested the Certificate of Conformity and then used this information to make representations to the Transport For London website to get their car reclassified as being exempt. Simply because the car meets the emissions standards required for ULEZ even though it was manufactured at a time when EUR 4 did not exist and therefore the car is only designated as EUR 3. So this may be why the Transport For London website tells me the car is ULEZ exempt.

Clearly you are not using the information from this website. I have checked many other websites and all of these tell me the car is ULEZ exempt. The only website which does not agree is this one - https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service....

Therefore I can only assume that you are using this website’s table or list of vehicles. And that this obviously differs from every other website including the one for Transport For London.

So in summary it is my belief that this car will meet the emissions standards required to be exempt from ULEZ charges in any and all clean air zones. As soon as I have the information supporting this from Porsche I will of course pass this along.

Thanks

ATM

Some helpful enthusiasts have come to the rescue via Pistonheads

My 986 details - http://www.emissionsfinder.com/porsche-all-models-boxster-s-32cc-2

EUR 4 details - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards#Emission_standards_for_passenger_cars

Summary

..................................... My Car ------------ EUR 4
CO ------------------ 0.613 -------------- 1.0
THC ---------------- 0.088 -------------- 0.1
NOx ---------------- 0.048 -------------- 0.08

• 1 month later...

Birmingham Clean Air Zone - Appeal

I'm still fighting this and even though I thought I'd clearly win I am being beaten back into the losing camp. I'm tempted to just pay the £120 fine now but that is giving up. So please help inspire me with words of encouragement or ideally some genuine advice.

So my initial appeal was along the line of this car is ULEZ exempt in London, I know this because I checked it when I bought it, therefore I assumed it was ULEZ exempt everywhere. I now see it is not. This is a total surprise to me. I therefore expect that you use 2 separate databases from the TFL. They said yes thats right and you still need to pay up.

In the meantime I started an enquiry with the DVLA via the link above. They told me to get the Certificate of Conformity from Porsche. Which I did.

I then sent them electronic scans of this in 2 parts or 2 files - which is a challenge as their contact form only accepts 1 file a at time so I had to submit the for twice. Attached below.

Eventually after lots of back and forth with them just saying the document was not sufficient and does not show my vehicle is exempt someone there amazing helpful - yes I am being a bit generous - pointed out that the reason they were not accepting this document was that there was a difference in the chassis number. It is 7 characters from the end.

WP0ZZZ98Z1S640444 - Porsche
WP0ZZZ98Z15640444 - DVLA

So I then had to go through the process of changing this with a different department of the DVLA. I spoke to another helpful person at the DVLA about it. The process to get chassis number changed is to send a letter - no emails accepted. The letter has to include the old or current V5 and also the evidence showing the correct chassis number. The helpful person suggested a photo of the car - yes an actual printed photo as there is no email option. Letters to the DVLA can take 6 weeks to be processed apparently. I have done this and recently received back my updated V5.

So then I contacted the DVLA again via the link above with my Case number. The assumption was there would be no more barriers and they would say yes thanks well done etc.

No

Another canned response saying document not sufficient.

So just in case I wrote a new reply and submitted the document again - in 2 parts - and explained in as many words as possible - the form has a limit - without sounding like a knob - difficult - that I dont understand why they will not accept this so can they please explain in a few more words so I can understand what the problem is - I am paraphrasing. I will copy and past their response below the docs.

So I feel like where I am now is either - these will only make sense maybe if you have read their response below -

1. They only see half the document as their system only stores the latest attachment uploaded - IT issues

2. They want the document to state - Vehicle is EUR 4 tick

3. They dont understand what the numbers mean on the certificate of conformity and are not even trying to understand them - Feels unlikely given that they have asked for a certificate of conformity and this is what I have provided

4. The car really is not compliant or does not meet the EUR 4 standards

Screen-Shot-2022-01-26-at-14-28-40.png
Screen-Shot-2022-01-26-at-14-28-44.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DVLA Response

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ATM

Thank you for your enquiry received on 05/01/2022. Your case reference number is Case Number Removed.

It may help to explain that the previous response provided to you is correct.

Thank you for supplying the document attached. After reviewing this, I can confirm that it does not meet the requirements for us to update the vehicle record with the relevant Euro status.

I can see that you have sent a Certificate of Conformity, however, in order for us to update the record it would need to confirm the Euro status of the vehicle.

If you wish to have the vehicle record updated, you will need to obtain the evidence stated above confirming the Euro status. Please use the reply link below and attach the relevant evidence.

When we have received this, we can investigate the details and where required, update both the DVLA record and the Drive in a Clean Air Zone Service. In order for it to be compliant it would need to have a minimum Euro 4 status.

I hope this information provides a further insight for you.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form Link Removed

Name Removed

Download the EURO4 compliance standard, highlight the relevant emissions figures, do the same on the Porsche document and provide a covering table with and additional comment on each emissions value and state something like - 'Complies with Euro 4', or 'Within Euro 4 limits'.

Also send a copy to your MP, the AA and the RAC Foundation to highlight how far out of sync the official the central vehicle registrations data is and how poorly it has been administered to have what is now critical data missing or incorrect leading to false charges and fines being raised now we are acting on environmental issues. 

Or fo course just bury the problem and pay the £120....

On 2/26/2022 at 9:28 AM, ½cwt said:

Download the EURO4 compliance standard, highlight the relevant emissions figures, do the same on the Porsche document and provide a covering table with and additional comment on each emissions value and state something like - 'Complies with Euro 4', or 'Within Euro 4 limits'.

Also send a copy to your MP, the AA and the RAC Foundation to highlight how far out of sync the official the central vehicle registrations data is and how poorly it has been administered to have what is now critical data missing or incorrect leading to false charges and fines being raised now we are acting on environmental issues. 

Or fo course just bury the problem and pay the £120....

On 2/26/2022 at 9:14 AM, ATM said:

Birmingham Clean Air Zone - Appeal

I'm still fighting this and even though I thought I'd clearly win I am being beaten back into the losing camp. I'm tempted to just pay the £120 fine now but that is giving up. So please help inspire me with words of encouragement or ideally some genuine advice.

So my initial appeal was along the line of this car is ULEZ exempt in London, I know this because I checked it when I bought it, therefore I assumed it was ULEZ exempt everywhere. I now see it is not. This is a total surprise to me. I therefore expect that you use 2 separate databases from the TFL. They said yes thats right and you still need to pay up.

In the meantime I started an enquiry with the DVLA via the link above. They told me to get the Certificate of Conformity from Porsche. Which I did.

I then sent them electronic scans of this in 2 parts or 2 files - which is a challenge as their contact form only accepts 1 file a at time so I had to submit the for twice. Attached below.

Eventually after lots of back and forth with them just saying the document was not sufficient and does not show my vehicle is exempt someone there amazing helpful - yes I am being a bit generous - pointed out that the reason they were not accepting this document was that there was a difference in the chassis number. It is 7 characters from the end.

WP0ZZZ98Z1S640444 - Porsche
WP0ZZZ98Z15640444 - DVLA

So I then had to go through the process of changing this with a different department of the DVLA. I spoke to another helpful person at the DVLA about it. The process to get chassis number changed is to send a letter - no emails accepted. The letter has to include the old or current V5 and also the evidence showing the correct chassis number. The helpful person suggested a photo of the car - yes an actual printed photo as there is no email option. Letters to the DVLA can take 6 weeks to be processed apparently. I have done this and recently received back my updated V5.

So then I contacted the DVLA again via the link above with my Case number. The assumption was there would be no more barriers and they would say yes thanks well done etc.

No

Another canned response saying document not sufficient.

So just in case I wrote a new reply and submitted the document again - in 2 parts - and explained in as many words as possible - the form has a limit - without sounding like a knob - difficult - that I dont understand why they will not accept this so can they please explain in a few more words so I can understand what the problem is - I am paraphrasing. I will copy and past their response below the docs.

So I feel like where I am now is either - these will only make sense maybe if you have read their response below -

1. They only see half the document as their system only stores the latest attachment uploaded - IT issues

2. They want the document to state - Vehicle is EUR 4 tick

3. They dont understand what the numbers mean on the certificate of conformity and are not even trying to understand them - Feels unlikely given that they have asked for a certificate of conformity and this is what I have provided

4. The car really is not compliant or does not meet the EUR 4 standards

Screen-Shot-2022-01-26-at-14-28-40.png
Screen-Shot-2022-01-26-at-14-28-44.png

DVLA Response

Dear ATM

Thank you for your enquiry received on 05/01/2022. Your case reference number is Case Number Removed.

It may help to explain that the previous response provided to you is correct.

Thank you for supplying the document attached. After reviewing this, I can confirm that it does not meet the requirements for us to update the vehicle record with the relevant Euro status.

I can see that you have sent a Certificate of Conformity, however, in order for us to update the record it would need to confirm the Euro status of the vehicle.

If you wish to have the vehicle record updated, you will need to obtain the evidence stated above confirming the Euro status. Please use the reply link below and attach the relevant evidence.

When we have received this, we can investigate the details and where required, update both the DVLA record and the Drive in a Clean Air Zone Service. In order for it to be compliant it would need to have a minimum Euro 4 status.

I hope this information provides a further insight for you.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form Link Removed

Name Removed

This is another complete joke - the council don't understand their own rules, let alone how to enforce them.

Your car needs to "meet the following standards...Euro4 or better for petrol engines". It does not say that the rule is that the V5C needs to state it is Euro4 compliant. It says the car needs to meet or exceed Euro4 standards, which is does, and you can demonstrate (indeed you already have). 

Here are the limits as provided by the AA: https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/euro-emissions-standards

Euro 4 emission limits (petrol)
  • CO – 1.0 g/km
  • HC – 0.10 g/km
  • NOx – 0.08
  • PM – no limit

Highlight the relevant sections of your certificate of conformity and refer them back to the above emission standards. 

The way they're enforcing the rules currently makes no sense - they're effectively banning all cars before approx 2005 when Euro4 came into force. Most cars before then wouldn't have "Euro4" on their V5C as it simply didn't exist, even though many would have complied had it existed when they were built. If that was Birmingham Councils intention they should simply have said your car needs to have been registered in 2005 or later to come into the city.

It's another example of lazy local authority operations and "computer says no" attitude. 

I agree with @1/2cwt says - copy in your MP. This fine has been incorrectly applied - your car meets their criteria.

It is always dangerous to let people who do not understand the topic to apply the rules relating to the topic. 

I see this regularly in construction where a 'safety' manager who is not familiar with a process will no allow a process that a specialist industry has documented, followed and updated for many years incident free.  In these cases often until you outline the cost the client will have to pay to do it his way...

Dear ATM

Thank you for your enquiry received on 05/01/2022. Your case reference number is Case Number Removed.

From the information available on your DVLA vehicle record, I can see that your vehicle was first registered in June 2001 and does not have a confirmed Euro status on record. The Drive in a Clean Air Zone service, in the absence of a confirmed Euro status, considers the Date of First Registration of your vehicle and the emissions values recorded at registration to determine whether it likely meets the Euro 4 minimum emissions standard for Clean Air Zones.

Based on the information available on your vehicles DVLA record and the information you have provided to support the emissions values for your vehicle indicates that your vehicle does meet the Euro 4 emissions standard, and your vehicle will not be chargeable to drive, into, or within, the Clean Air Zone.

I have requested for your record to be updated to reflect this.

This will be updated within 2 working days. Please check back on the Vehicle Checker before your next journey into or within the Clean Air Zone.

Please be aware, if you intend to drive into or within the zone before this has been updated, you will still need to pay for the journey. Local Authorities are responsible for all charging orders and refunds, if you have received a PCN, you should follow the instructions on the letter to complete a representation and use our email response as evidence of compliance.

If you have already paid a charge you will need to contact the Local Authority and ask for a refund.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form Link Removed

Name Removed - Escalation Unit

• Like 1